Video Card Problems

Swargey

Penguin Warlord
I'm looking to upgrade my pathetically weak graphics card (Geforce 7100/nForce 630i) but I'm really confused as to what cards will be powerful enough for heavy gaming while also being compatible with my rig. Any help in selecting a card would be really helpful. Oh and if you need any info that I left out, please let me know.

My specs:
Manufacturer: Gateway (DX4720-03 model)
RAM: 4GB
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50Gz 2.50Gz

Radeon 4800 Series
Geforce 9800 Series
Geforce GTX Series

How much are you willing to spend

Going for a general area of $250, 300 at the max. Thanks for the help finding compatible cards though. By the way, how do I know if my motherboard has the correct set-up for the card? (Similarly, what is PNY, BFG, XFX, etc?)

So I have to get a completely new motherboard? Well...that sucks.

At this point it's looking like it would cost more to buy a really good graphics card which is compatible with a good new motherboard I would have to buy as well, than it would be to just get a new computer in a few years. My situation doesn't really surprise me though, this is what happens when parents buy computers. Most likely they were tricked into buying it by the salesman, because they went out looking for a gaming computer and came back with a decent computer with a terrible graphics set.

Ah, well...thanks for your time and support.

A new power supply? Any ideas or suggestions on a specific brand?

Also, I've located a graphics card that I'm interested in. It's the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+. Please bear with me because (as you can see) I'm not very tech literate. Do I need the PNY version or BFG or XFX?

Thanks again for your help.

Those are the manufacturers. Id actually go with EVGA as I've recieved the best support from them. In the years that I've had parts from them, they havent failed me.

Top Bottom