Vietnam War Development thread

Hi Minipow01,

It's good to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to post.

So the good news is that when I run your save file, the air units are working fine for me. The bad news is that both McMonkey and Techumseh have been testing/playing the game on their end, but it works for the first but not the second, and based on their individual set ups I can't easily detect why:

Techumseh installation is:
ToTPP v0.13
The scenario’s address: C:\Games\Microprose\Test of Time\Scenarios\Vietnam 1965 - 1975
My ToTPP directory address: C:\Games\Microprose\Test of Time\ToTPP v. 1.3
Windows XP

McMonkey installation is:
ToTPP v0.13
Its run from an external hard drive: K:\GAMES\+PRIMARY SCENARIOS\Vietnam 1965 - 1975
Vista 32bit.

My installation is:
ToTPP v 0.131
C:\Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles - TOTPP\Civilization II Test of Time\Vietnam 1965 - 1975
C:\Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles - TOTPP\Civilization II Test of Time\totlauncher.exe
Windows 7 64bit

I strongly suspect the problem has to be related to where the scenario folder and ToTPP executable are installed, otherwise how else can we explain it works for some but not for others.

I've attached a save file of my own, whose air units also work for me. Perhaps you can try it on your end to confirm if the air units are working. If not, which I suspect will be the case, I believe it will help us narrow the problem.

With regards the air map, you are using it exactly as I intended it to be. As I indicated in post #84 above:

"With regards the movement of air units I didn't necessarily want to add another house rule because I thought it might become self evident to players once they got use to the game, but once your air units exit the first tile of either their city or CVN battle groups base they should immediately move up to the air map (using the 'N' hotkey), then travel to their target tile and only then drop back down (again using the hotkey) to the South East Asia map to attack the selected ground target. This actually makes the game flow much faster and easier and is in reality much more realistic. The US and South Vietnamese air forces flew hundreds of thousands of air missions over the dense jungle terrain of the country during the war without 'accidently' bumping into enemy ground units."

Attachments

• 1965oct.sav
    744.4 KB · Views: 240
Okay, I can't even move my A-4's, A-6's and F-8's off the Carrier. When I select them to move them, it immediately jumps to another nearby unit awaiting to move and selects them (in this case, units on the Order of Battle Map), the typical Civ2 ToT response when you select a unit of your civ that has no moves left. I'm using Windows 8.2 on a 64-bit System and have my scenario and .exe file installed in:
C:\Test of Time\Net Stuff\Vietnam 1965 - 1975
C:\Test of Time\totlauncher.exe

I can't recall which version of ToTPP I was last installed, but I'm pretty sure it was either 1.3, 1.3.1, or 1.4 - I can double check that.

Hi Patine,

Are you on the first turn of the scenario? If so, then that is correct, you cannot use y our naval air units on that turn, as you need to wait for turn 2 for them to become active.

Thank-you for pointing that out. I'll have a further look at this with that in mind.

I tried your 1965oct.sav file, and just as you predicted, the problem remains. The TOTPP is installed in C:\games and the scenario is located in C:\games\scenario.

Hi Minipow01,

Yes it's as I thought. My best guess at the moment is that it must somehow be related to the individual installation of the game, otherwise the problem would be consistent for all.

All the same, I fear at this time that TNO's Attacks per turn feature is too unstable to be used in scenarios that use more than the standard 81 units. As such, I'm currently writing up a list of modifications to the scenario (based on many of McMonkey's and Techumseh's playtesting feedback), in which I will be removing the attack per turn feature. If anyone else has suggestions or observations to make about the scenario itself, please feel free to share on this development thread.

In the meantime, not to spoil your enjoyment, I recommend you either comment out the @ATTACKS section (simply place a ; in front of each line of the section) or remove it altogether from all the scenario's rules.txt file. It is located after the @UNITS section. By doing so, you should no longer be prevented from attacking with any of your units situated in the 10th row and above. If you try it let me know if it works as advertised.

This will have an impact on game play as it will increase your offensive capabilities but it should allow you to continue playing.

Hi all,

After many months of modifications and play testing, I’ve finally released version 2.0 of my Vietnam scenario, which can be found on the Scenario League website (check out Post #1 of this development thread).

I would also like to thank Techumseh and McMonkey for their invaluable assistance in playtesting version 1.0 which exposed a series of bugs and play balance issues which I have strived to address in version 2.

I would like to extend a special note of gratitude to Techumseh for designing a more natural and realistic looking set of South East Asian terrain graphics for v2.0 of the scenario.

The changes were many and varied, too long to list on this thread, but suffice it to say that TOTPP’s ‘Attacks per turn’ feature is no longer included in version 2.0 (I’ve attached a list of the primary modifications made to the scenario for those who may be interested).

Attachments

• NAM65 modifications v2.0_2.doc
    38.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Top Bottom