Virus?

Dease

Be Original
To make a long stroy short(well not really short ;) ) -
started up this computer this morning, I got to the windows 98 loading screen then it suddenly wnet to a "IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER" screen which is what I get if I ever turn off my other comp with win 95 ;) .
I restarted, said windows didn't load properly so I went into safemode, ran adaware, found a bunch but didn't fix it. NAV was uninstalled from the last maintenance I had done so I couldn't run that.
I put in the NAV CD and restarted to do a scan but it didn't find anything (but it's NAV 2003 so the definitions aren't up to date :( )
reintstalled windows and it now runs fine.

Any ideas on what happened? :confused:

Dease said:
To make a long stroy short(well not really short ;) ) -
started up this computer this morning, I got to the windows 98 loading screen then it suddenly wnet to a "IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER" screen which is what I get if I ever turn off my other comp with win 95 ;) .
I restarted, said windows didn't load properly so I went into safemode, ran adaware, found a bunch but didn't fix it. NAV was uninstalled from the last maintenance I had done so I couldn't run that.
I put in the NAV CD and restarted to do a scan but it didn't find anything (but it's NAV 2003 so the definitions aren't up to date :( )
reintstalled windows and it now runs fine.

Any ideas on what happened? :confused:
There are several viruses out there (many of them released this year, which would be later than your virus definitions that cause Windows computers to spontaneously shut down or reboot... I don't remember any of the names, although I think Blaster may be one of them. Best thing to do in that case is probably to just back up what you can, reinstall, and make sure you use a firewall after reinstalling.

Several internet sites offer free online scans that can be useful when virus definitions are not uptodate especially as some viruses can make it difficult to actually update them.

I had a similar experience after I deleted half of my registry by accident. So I think your registry got screwed up by a virus or a program doing the wrong thing.

King PJ said:
I had a similar experience after I deleted half of my registry by accident. So I think your registry got screwed up by a virus or a program doing the wrong thing.
So reinstalling windows would've fixed that... right?

I'm gonna re-install NAV tomorrow and do a scan to see if it was indeed a virus ;)

no you dont need to format if your windows 98 register got screwed up, you press F8 and go to command line, there you put this command: "scanreg /recover", you will choose a date when computer was working fine.

Just talking about my experienced problems....
I had similar problems in past with windows 98 (and because of norton at that time...), but a week ago was with XP!!!(Possibly some one hacked me....) and with Xp is much more difficult, lucky I have system restore on! what I had experienced is explained here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

I did a scan with NAV a few days ago and there were no viruses :hmm: so for now I'll assume it was a problem with the registry.

Top Bottom