Vista search and Python files.

General Tso

Panzer General
I use Vista on my computer and the search engine doesn't work with Python files. I was wondering if other Vista users have the same problem or is it just my computer?

If it is just my computer, does anyine have any ideas on how to fix it? I tried changing all of the options that I could find including turning indexing on and off for Python files and for the entire drive. But none of the worked.

Use Notepad++ and do a "Find in Files" search. Not as optimized as a search built into the browser with full indexing, but I don't have a clue how to teach it to understand that a different file extension than it is accustomed to can be accessed like .txt

Thanks xienwolf, while it's a little more time consuming than I would like - it worked like a charm.

The cynical part of me has to wonder about Vista not being able to search Python files. Microsoft sells programming languages, Python is free, I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

I've downloaded Windows Search 4 (what Vista uses) for XP (yes, Microsoft made an XP version), and it won't search XML files either.

The built in search engine for Vista works OK with XML files - there is a seperate filter for XML. The part that really bothers me about the Python problem is the fact that it would work part of the time, so it took me awhile to realize that there was a problem.

Well I have Windows Search 4 for Windows XP and it won't search inside XML files. It has the filter and is set to index file contents but if I do a search in the text folder of my mod for a work I know is in at least one of the files, no results are displayed. Could someone else with version 4 (note: I think pre-SP2 Vista uses version 3) confirm?

EDIT: It doesn't even seem able to search file names. Something must be really wrong with what I'm doing.

EDIT2: It seems to work better in My documents. Is there a way to make it index stuff located in Program Files so it is useful for modding civ?

EDIT3: Searching inside XML files still doesn't work even when in My Documents.

Well I have Windows Search 4 for Windows XP and it won't search inside XML files

??? XP can search inside xml files. You don't need "Windows Search X".

Vista search blows. I game on my Vista machine because it's more powerful, but I do most of my modding on a Win2k box, because it's just so much easier. More functionality to the search and other things.

Top Bottom