Vote for your 3 civs you would most like to see : Final Results

Axum and Ethiopia do not occupy the same territory- some of the same central territories, yes, but Axum ruled significantly different areas (parts of modern Sudan and Somaliland for example), with the bulk of Axum's territory being further north.

I still think that if Qin = China, Maurya = India and Axum = Ethiopia then Rome = Italy, but I suppose you are right that the distinction between Rome and Italy is much clearer to consumers (though I imagine that Qin China and Modern China aren't actually more similar than Ancient Rome and Italy today, other than ethnically).

Last edited:
I was thinking rather more of this Aksum, occupying the majority of the Ethiopian highlands, missing just a bit of the modern nation's southern hinterland, but making up for it with chunks of Nubia and Saba'. Kind of like how the borders of China fluctuated with the different dynasties, but most shared a central heartland.

To say just a little bit more on the subject of Rome vs. Italy, I think the infusion of foreign culture into the north of Italy by the barbarians (the Lombards in particular,) may have had something to do with the transition. I view Italy rather the same way I view France, a fusion of Roman (and Romanized indigenous tribes) with a few barbarian elements, creating a somewhat different cultural identity.

Yes but even though Italy is relatively similar to Rome (which it isn't that much) bear in mind that the Italian market for this game is pretty big ( well not as big as the American and Australian markets but still) and since because of the customers from the us and Australia that we have both of these as civilisations ( ignoring the fact that England, the us and Australia all speak the same language and are identical culturally), then Italy should be right there with them.

Yes but even though Italy is relatively similar to Rome (which it isn't that much) bear in mind that the Italian market for this game is pretty big ( well not as big as the American and Australian markets but still) and since because of the customers from the us and Australia that we have both of these as civilisations ( ignoring the fact that England, the us and Australia all speak the same language and are identical culturally), then Italy should be right there with them.

The U.S. fully merits it's place in this game as the dominant super power -in more ways than one- from the Atomic age onwards. That and as the country that finally successfully rebooted a very complete version of democracy into the world.

And your assumption that England, Australia, and the States all have identical culture is terrible; even if they clearly share significant parts of it.

I wouldn't say they share identical cultures, but the US, UK and Australia do have more in common than just a shared language.

And your assumption that England, Australia, and the States all have identical culture is terrible; even if they clearly share significant parts of it.

I wouldn't say they share identical cultures, but the US, UK and Australia do have more in common than just a shared language.

Need I say more? :p
The word identical is very very wrong...

I'm sorry I meant really similar.
But let's face it Canada would be seen by the non-anglosaxon world as a bit repetitive after America and Australia.

I agree that it's too soon for another Anglophone civ.

Civs speaking English: 3
Civs speaking Greek: 2 (3 leaders)
Civs speaking Akkadian that should be speaking Sumerian: 1

:p

I'm sorry I meant really similar.
But let's face it Canada would be seen by the non-anglosaxon world as a bit repetitive after America and Australia.

I do not know if that matters to Firaxis. I think developers are not worried about including several similar cultures, what matters to them is whether these cultures have market demands. So yes, Canada will certainly be included, the inclusion of Australia only makes this more obvious.
In place of Australia, I would have chosen a modern Hispanic nation rather than one more Anglo-Saxon nation.
But I do not care, Australia is very well represented and certainly is one of the most powerful civs in the game.
As for Italy, I would really like to see an Italian civ, with two alternative leaders representing Venice and Florence. The absence of Italian city-states makes me think that developers have plans for them.

Civs speaking Akkadian that should be speaking Sumerian: 1
Civs speaking Akkadian that might as well have just been called Assyria led by Ashurbanipal: 1 :p

Top Bottom