Waiting for CivBE, should I give AC a spin?

WiseGreen

Warlord
As the title says. I started playing with CivIII, played CIV a lot (still do on occasion, but 1UPT > doomstack IMHO) and I'm still playing a couple CiV games a week. Which of these SMAC is closest to? If I like Civ5 the best and Civ3 the least, how likely am I to enjoy it?

I started AC a couple of days ago in anticipation to CivBE and it is glorious. A more refined and sophisticated version of Civ 2.

As the title says. I started playing with CivIII, played CIV a lot (still do on occasion, but 1UPT > doomstack IMHO) and I'm still playing a couple CiV games a week. Which of these SMAC is closest to? If I like Civ5 the best and Civ3 the least, how likely am I to enjoy it?

Based upon you liking 5 the most and 3 the least, I wouldn’t bother. It is a great game, and one of my personal favourites in the whole genre. But in the terms you have stipulated I don’t think you would enjoy it. It might be a passing curiosity, but no more. If I were you, to entertain the passing curiosity, then I would pick it up on GOG sale for £3 or less rather than the full price version. But I don’t think you will get much from it as it is. Its more for old fruit cakes like myself who like a bit of nostalgia.

I personally got both Pandora Eclipse of Nashara and SMACX waiting for this game. I just might actually know what I'm doing. :D

Yep SMAC is way closer to Civ 3 than 5, and although it's still a great game you'll probably get fed up with the dodgy interface and city spam. Worth playing at least once if even just for the story/tech tree or to marvel at how advanced it was for 1999.

I already have SMAC from a past GOG sale, but I didn't even install it :p

From what I remember from playing Civ3, city spamming didn't bother me much (yay corruption!), it was the INTENSE microing because of no-turn-overflow that bothered me the most :p

If you like 5 for the 1upt and manageability then I would say SMAC isnt for you. Its all about spamming.everything. more is always better.

Yea I mean if you compare SMAC to civ 2 (which is basically the comparison civ vets were making back then), then SMAC was totally brilliant. It introduced a narrative and real personalities to the AIs. It was also very fresh, original, and love it or hate it, introduced the design workshop. Call to power was an abomination, which was released about the same time.

But SMAC is basically civ 2, and as good as civ 3, but not really any better (IMO). The series leapt to new heights in civ 4, then changed quite significantly for civ 5 (for better or for worse – im slightly on the fence on this issue).

Alpha Centauri is best compared to Civ 4 -- not Civ 3 -- especially in terms of such things as governments, espionage, diplomacy, quotes for researching techs, and interfaces and help files that actually explain things in a meaningful way.

If you like the mechanics of Civ 4, the odds are high that you'll like the mechanics of Alpha Centauri, depending on whether you like the Sci-Fi theme.

Alpha Centauri, in addition to having good gameplay compared to civ 2 or 3, also has a certain atmosphere, one in which all of the old rules don't apply on Planet and you can really choose humanity's destiny. I really enjoyed that when I tried SMAC earlier this year.

I really liked SMAC until I learned the most efficient way to win. :(

Crawler carpet is insanely effective and insanely tedious.

I'm playing Endless Legend (patched this week) and waiting for BE to get patched/dlc'd/expansion-packed.

We only got 34 hours to go till it unlocks; surely you can wait that long? ;)

I'd say give SMAC a try. I reinstalled it a few month ago (after 10 years of not playing it) and it held up pretty well - once I managed to get into the somewhat outdated UI.

Atmosphere and story are still great, though. :)

Should you get it? Yes, I still install it occasionally and play a game or two. The graphics and interface may be old, but gameplay is king.

If you've never played it before, and don't know the areas in which its over-powered, you're in for a treat. The atmosphere is great, and the flexibility in terms of Social Engineering, unit design, diplomacy (which was years ahead of anything else out there) and the uniqueness of each faction. Play as the Morganites, rape the planet clean and then buy out everyone and everything. Play as the Gaians, go full on tree-hugger and swarm the planet with your mind worms. Play as Miriam, and have everyone declare war on you!

SMAC is an awesome game, you are in for a treat when you boot it up. Whatever you do, make sure you build a Fission Planet Buster, then a Singularity Planet Buster. Use them, notice the difference, and appreciate the uniqueness and scale of destruction.

Alpha Centauri, in addition to having good gameplay compared to civ 2 or 3, also has a certain atmosphere, one in which all of the old rules don't apply on Planet and you can really choose humanity's destiny. I really enjoyed that when I tried SMAC earlier this year.

So much this. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and character of the game. Also liked the sort-of-random tech and customization from that game- although both have been done much better since, I would really have liked to see more of these sorts of things in BE (including atmosphere) which feels missing from what I've seen so far.

Should you get it? Yes, I still install it occasionally and play a game or two. The graphics and interface may be old, but gameplay is king.

If you've never played it before, and don't know the areas in which its over-powered, you're in for a treat. The atmosphere is great, and the flexibility in terms of Social Engineering, unit design, diplomacy (which was years ahead of anything else out there) and the uniqueness of each faction. Play as the Morganites, rape the planet clean and then buy out everyone and everything. Play as the Gaians, go full on tree-hugger and swarm the planet with your mind worms. Play as Miriam, and have everyone declare war on you!

In my current game I play as Gaians and I'm - unfortunately - in a pact with the Believers. They are the most powerful military faction, attacking and overrunning all other AIs and constantly pestering me with "give us free money and technology - or else" threats.
I have to find a way to take them out.

I've actually started playing Civ 5 in anticipation of BE. My idea is to win the space victory as the Russians and when BE comes out, I continue on as the Slavic Federation.

I reinstalled SMAC in anticipation of BE and quit after a few turns. Call me spoiled but by now I'm used to today's improved graphics and resolutions. The current state of my vision may have something to do with that, and now I'm doubly grateful for modern monitor technology and graphics.

Top Bottom