Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

GJ on the patch, it does make load/upload much faster!

Altough I wish GMR would not auto-start CiV at all. I know it is smart enough to not re-open the game if its already running, but I like to open it manually anyway, might be my OCD kicking in :rolleyes:

me and my friends are wondering, if there's any possibility, to import a standard-multiplayer game into GMR. we'd love to be able to play the first dozen turns as a standard online-game to save some time, and then later switch over to GMR long paced gameplay.

maybe there's some kind of manual workaround to do this? otherwise it would ofc be great if such a feature could be added to GMR in the future...

thanks for your answer

Altough I wish GMR would not auto-start CiV at all. I know it is smart enough to not re-open the game if its already running, but I like to open it manually anyway, might be my OCD kicking in :rolleyes:

Alright, I added the checkbox back just for you. You can now disable that feature to your heart's content :)

me and my friends are wondering, if there's any possibility, to import a standard-multiplayer game into GMR. we'd love to be able to play the first dozen turns as a standard online-game to save some time, and then later switch over to GMR long paced gameplay.

maybe there's some kind of manual workaround to do this? otherwise it would ofc be great if such a feature could be added to GMR in the future...

thanks for your answer

I believe what you described would work in GMR, you would simply need to create the game in GMR as a "Scenario" game which would prompt you to upload the initial save file for the game. Then GMR would take that save file and change it's type flag to "Hot Seat" and setup all the players on the GMR website as AI with the correct civs. Just make sure that the player who creates the game on GMR and uploads the save file was the host in the multiplayer game.

That's theoretically should work, however I haven't tested it. Let me know if you do and how it works for you. If you run into problems just email me the save file (support@multiplayerrobot.com) and I'll try to get it to work :)

I think the new implementation is better, with the crash issue, I need to start CiV more often, so the smart auto-start is better, I just didn't noticed before that it does not start when CiV is running.

I was sitting, waiting for the steam popup that said the application was already running. Was really confusing at first. :p

I believe what you described would work in GMR, you would simply need to create the game in GMR as a "Scenario" game which would prompt you to upload the initial save file for the game. Then GMR would take that save file and change it's type flag to "Hot Seat" and setup all the players on the GMR website as AI with the correct civs. Just make sure that the player who creates the game on GMR and uploads the save file was the host in the multiplayer game.

That's theoretically should work, however I haven't tested it. Let me know if you do and how it works for you. If you run into problems just email me the save file (support@multiplayerrobot.com) and I'll try to get it to work :)

thanks for the quick answer

i already tried to import a multiplayer game before i posted here and did some more testing since yesterday. if i try to import a savegame of a multiplayer match with 2 human players as a scenario, i get the following error:
Code:
Game creation error. If you were creating a Scenario, please make sure to select the right game.

when creating a multiplayer game, where there's only the host plus an AI, the savegame can be loaded in GMR, but it seems to add a third player with random a civ (i did this just for testing).

i also tried to reaload a saved multiplayer game within civ and remove the human players in the lobby, to make them AIs. importing a save of this into GMR lead to the error described above.

another thing i tried, is to start a game of "Empires of the Smoky Skies" in singleplayer, save the game without playing any turns, and importing the savegame into GMR as a scenario. this savegame seemed to be working just fine, showing the correct amount of players and allowing me to invite human players to replace the AI. we played a few turns to make sure everything would run smoothly.

i assume there are quite some differences between a game created in hotseat/singleplayer and one that was created as a network multiplayer game. at least the game doesn't let you load a multiplayer savegame as hotseat game and vice versa (despite the same file extensions).

thanks for your support :)

Another bugged game:
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Details/1416

I get a CTD evrytime I try to load the game. We tried to revert the turn, but it did not work.

I just downloaded your turn from the website and it loaded up just fine in CiV. Have you tried downloading it from the website? Are you using the "legacy file transfer" mode in the GMR client? Try either of those and see if it helps.

Unfortunatly no, both those option did not work :(

I'm gonna have to try this. It would be awesome to kick start a new game through 60-80 turns, then slow it all down and enjoy the long term play. Fingers crossed, it might just become my favourite play style.

I'm gonna have to try this. It would be awesome to kick start a new game through 60-80 turns, then slow it all down and enjoy the long term play. Fingers crossed, it might just become my favourite play style.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who would love to do this. please let me know if you manage to get this to work. as i wrote earlier, i usually got an error message when trying to import a savegame that was originally created in online-multiplayer :(

Unfortunatly no, both those option did not work :(

What are your system specs like? Also do you start CiV up fresh before attempting to load this turn? I play my GMR games on two different machines (work and home) and have noticed that my work computer (which is much less beefy) sometimes fails to load a save, especially if I've kept CiV running after playing other turns. I've also noticed that some turns cause CiV to consume up to 1.8GB of RAM, which is not a problem on my home computer that has 16GB but can sometimes be a problem on my work computer which has 4GB.

Maybe try closing other applications and turning down all graphics in CiV, and try playing the turn just after starting up CiV? Just some ideas, I'm really not sure what to do here. When a GMR save loads for me but not for another player I have to assume there's some issue with CiV :(

I truly have no idea either. My computer should be more then able to handle the load(16GB and a nice video card) but I cannot load the turn. The dreaded CTD get me everytime.

My turn expire in 14 hours, hopefully the next players wont have any problem. I am not in a war or any kind of heavy project, so missing a turn wont really hinder me. Oh well.

This is interesting, cause I occasionally will get hit with a ctd bug as well. My system is a little hard to figure...the hard drive is...geez, probably almost 8 years old and we run XP, however it has a new motherboard and decent graphics card within the last couple years.... In any case, if it's of any use, and you don't collect user system data already, I'd be happy to send in my specs, using dxdiag or something like that. But maybe this is further than you want to go in terms of troubleshooting, since it's more about user system specs and Civ than GMR, per se.

And, on to a strange issue I've been getting...twice over the last day, I've gotten this message, paraphrasing: application failed to download properly. It's a GMR update, and it went to 99% and then hung for several minutes, then later came up with the message.

Hopefully I can use the website, cause right now for some reason I can't update GMR successfully...well, on two attempts at least.

Unfortunatly, I have to report two more game with the exact same issue(I had three turn to play today, only one worked.)

http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Details/2110
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Details/769

I tried the following things:
1-tried in both Dx11 and Dx9
2-I tried reduced graphics
3-Tried all three methoed of getting the save(New file/Legtacy file/Direct from website)

I also would not mind sending my info if it could help resolve the problem, tough you will have to explain to me how to do it because I suck with computer :crazyeye:

Two of three turns played fine via the website. Third one got the ctd issue, which I've tried to get around in the past using the three different DL methods, without success--couldn't try this time due to the issue described above.

Top Bottom