Warhammer 40k mod development thread

Yea the game was terrible... I almost cried when I played it. :(

Um... I would appreciate it if you could PM me a list of the remaining tech graphics you want done. That way I wouldn't need to keep refering back to this post, thus making my work easier and getting it done faster

A WH40K mod ,cool! Seeing as how the one for Civ 3 went I hope you can finish this one. I play 40K as Space Marines so I might be able to help you. :)

Great apple I finished another tech... just wanted to give you a little progress report.

TGA, what were you thinking in terms of resources and types of terrain. I know that we will "have to wait for the SDK" (seems to be the regular answer to "can you do so-and-so" questions- when is it coming out by the way?) to make changes to graphics and such, but i think it is wrong if there arent any new/different terrain types on this planet.

mrkingkong

ps. If i can do anything more to help, let me know. Whilst im still getting to grips with Python (more with the endless classes and functions than the actual concept of Python language), i would consider myself able to help you with other aspects of the mod that you may require.;)

Hmmm, resources. At the moment I only had one or two thought out.

Promethium -- Main power source for vehciles, allows them to move 2 squares. Also needed for flamers.
Oil -- If there is no Promethium available, vehciles can use oil instead, but can only move one square (maybe these should be 3/2... hmmm)
Plasteel -- Pretty abundant, pretty important. Used in just about all vehicles, and marine units.
Ceremite -- Used in Space Marine armour
Adamentium -- Really good armour stuff. Quite rare but needed for terminators.
Pyrium -- Needed for melta weaponry (maybe plasma as well)

Turns out I had thought out a few more than I thought I had thought out. I'm tempted to see if I can implement a clever resource model (stockpiles rather than binery) - and at the moment the only thing that seems to be getting in the way is diplomacy, which, although I haven't looked at much, seems pretty hard to mod.

Luxuries can probably be fairly similar to the defaults, same with food resources (maybe add one or two exotic ones, or change the names or something).

Terrain types... hmmm. Hadn't really thought about it.

I was also thinking of a fuel counter for vehicles - if they spend 10 turns without access to one of the two fuel resources (in enemy terriatory, or loss of resource) they stop being able to move until they get some, and get bashed down to half combat strenght, or something similar.

If you need any help with python, feel free to send me a PM.

In the 40k universe most technology is recovered from data lost during the dark age of technology so i just wondered if you would try to represent this by making the more advanced technologies only obtainable from those tribal village things. The only problem with this is that these technologies could be researched normally, unless it is possible to stop certain technologies being researched but still allow them to be found in those villages, i wouldnt know.

just a suggestion:)

Good news: I managed to get teleportation working using talchas's square selection demo as a template. Now terminators can teleport 2 squares instead of moving one... but at a slight risk to their health - the warp is a nasty place!

Bad news: I'm going to uni on Sunday. This means that the time I'll have to work on the mod, and the stuff I'll be able to do will be significantly reduced. I should be able to catch up on xml entries while I'm away. I won't be back unti mid-March.

@ Golem_Ryder
I had thought I'd make the tech tree work by claiming that very few mechanics survived the crash, and the people left have to learn what they can from the wreckage. While it would be cool to have advanced techs from villages, I think they'd probably run out a bit quick, and it might be unbalancing.

@ TheBladeRoden
Yes... very heavy modding. Not for me thanks!

i'll continue working the graphic list... will you have internet so I can send you stuff while away?

I can't find anything for machine spirit though... any suggestions?

Just wondering but when will you be done this mod i appreciate your work

"Perhaps i could do some basic work for you"

I don't know what WarHammer 40,000 is, growing up in New York I was never exposed to such a thing ... but I appreciate your efforts to make it a mod and would like to offer my assisstance in whatever ways you may need it.

I'm not really sure what can be done with barbarians and modding. Ideally I'd want them so they couldn't talk to anybody, unless perhaps if they were Blood Axes, but acting as a normal Civ in other respects.
Why don't you replace the game's animal and barbarian units with Orks instead? That they no one will be able to "talk" to them, and they will be destructive, at war with everyone.

For the Blood Axes, which seem to me like more "civilized" Orks if they trade with humans from time to time, they could be made an unplayable civ (to humans) but remain playable by the AI... that way you could have diplomacy with them.

Just a quick progress report:

I've managed to find the Warhammer 40k "Fluff bible" on the internet. This thing is huge! Pretty much anything you ever wanted to know about the 40k universe. (http://www.student.tue.nl/t/j.c.a.v.d.werf/Warhammer/Fluff bible.htm).

This has lead to slight renaming, and shifting around, of some of the techs - for example "Photon Lines" instead of "Energy Relays", and has also given me a few ideas for the civics.

I'm also working on some civics. I have quite a few ideas written down here for both Chaos and Imperial civics.

Sorry to double post, but a sudden thought just hit me.

Firstly - about the orks. In the first version they will most likely be barbs, as to make a full Civ out of them would be rather a lot of effort, however, I would like the ability to play the orks in future versions. Why? Because orks are fun!

Now to the sudden thought: The general plan as stands it to have the player decide if he wants to turn to chaos. It could be done the other way - with it happening as an event based on how "evil" you've been, but it seems to me that this isn't really a very good system. The Imperium are pretty nasty sometimes... especially the inquisition.

But... we could have it so that when you turn to Chaos a counter kicks in to determine which of the Chaos gods you follow. Firstly you'd be set following chaos undivided, then, based on certain triggers you'd gain "Khorne points", or "Nurgle points" for example. When one of the 4 sets of points gets significantly higher than the rest than this god is set to be your patron.

For example, if you were a really agressive player, and got lots and lots of units killed, you would be likely to turn to Khorne. If you used lots of sorcerers, Tzeetch, if your people were happy, Slaneesh, and if your people were unhealthy, Nurgle. Maybe in the undivided state you would be able to build a few types of units from each section, but when you had your patron you could build them cheaper, and it let you build cool stuff like greater demons to be summoned.

Other ideas revolving around this involved some tech advances for Chaos being based on how many points had been aquired, rather than research.

Thoughts anybody?

Cool its WH 40K take 2!
Are you still working on the Civ 3 one?

hi there, im a 40k fan too.
i never modded anything for civ4, but i could try and do some tech-icons. im quite good at photoshop, still nothing i can promise yet.

whats the size needed (pixels)? and which format (psd, jpg, different?) is the best you could work with?

My personal advice:
for the civics on imperial: different sections, chapters etc (What ever their called)
ex.Ultramarines,Spacewolves,Blood Angels,Dark Angels, and Black Templars
For luxeries&rescouces:wax(they use candleslike mad), maybe a holy or corrupted area(rescouces)parchment(passes down imperial bible or chaos spell book)maybe lead or silver depending on chaos or not(silver supposed to be holy lead corrupts)

P-51D said:
Cool its WH 40K take 2!
Are you still working on the Civ 3 one?
Nope, although there was some activity in it's thread quite recently, and I think some people might be taking it up again.

@Bsycho

I will PM you very shortly.

mrkingkong said:
-The Imperium would be unlikely to accept back Traitors to the Emperor (i.e. any tribes who become Chaos) and so it might be an idea to prevent them becoming Imperial again after "turning to the dark side", as it were.

-The above point would obviously constrict gameplay a lot, so perhaps have other religions except just the two WH40K specific ones (tribe-based ones who worship animals etc. Iv seen this in a WH40K book about a demon planet in a warp storm so it is in the 40K universe, even if not entirely well-publicised.)

-If you decide on the idea for Pyhton to check on start of game to decide religion, add in feature so that tribes may be assigned one of the religions who worship animals also

mrkingkong

The Imperium hates and fears traitors more than anything else, just one rouge psyker can throw a whole system into civil war. The Imperium would rather destroy and kill billions of innocent humans just so that chaos would not thake control of a planet. (read the deamon hunters codex and youll understand what i mean) The barrier between the material realm and the warp are extremly thin and the slightest rupture in that could engulf the whole planet. And besides noon that has sold his soul to the dark gods would eaven think of returning to the imperium again = a bullet in his head and a nice little fire underneath his feets.

Btw would it not be easier to use the imperial guard as the "standard" imperial civ? The Imperial army consists of countless of BILLIONS of just regular humans. The Space Marine chapter perhaps only makes a total of 0.00001% (extremly powerful and mighty 0.0001% but still the less).

And wouldnt it be cool too have many many weak and cheap infantry units supported by tanks and artillery? All ships could be taken out f the game and replaced by landers that could transport units.

Is it possible to say just be able to build 5 tank companies for every 20 infantry companies?

If you need any info bout Imperial/Chaos/Ork/Necron/Tyranid technology/history/units im your man.

Fantastic, I've been waiting for this!

A suggestion for religion and civics if you are going to be including non-humans (please do!): add two more; Alien and Anti-Imperial. These would, obviously, only be available to non-humans. I base this on the Tau, Eldar, Necron, Orks (I don't think they're Chaos at least?) and Tyranids, because none of them are Chaos, but they are all either not Imperial and seek to live their own lives free of the Emperor (represented by Alien religion/civic) or they are fiercely against the Imperials and wage unrelenting war against them (represented by Anti-Imperial).

I'm not sure what to include for the effects of these... but I think a good start would be that Alien makes +1 :mad: and Anti-Imperial makes +2 :mad: for all Imperial Civs. Also, I think that Alien should be able to convert back to Imperial, because they haven't really declared themselves full enemies of the Emperor yet, but Anti-Imperial should lock out Imperial. It shouldn't lock out Alien, however once they've gone to Anti-Imperial they can never return to Imperial, even if they do convert back to Alien. I don't know if this would be possible, but I think it would make the game a lot more exciting and true to the WH40K universe.

Also, in relation to Chaos, I think it should be possible to convert to it from Alien or Anti-Imperial as well, but once you convert to Chaos you can never go back to a non-Chaos religion. Chaos Undivided I think should be unavailable unless you have converted to Chaos first (but it would be possible to convert back to normal Chaos).

That's just my take on the situation anyway! I'm certainly not trying to dictate how you make your mod, but I hope you might take into consideration my suggestions! Thanks! :D

Top Bottom