Warhammer 40k mod development thread

So I've been thinking. Necrons should probably auto-raze any captured city. They can only settle new cities and raze enemy cities ... no capturing enemy cities. (given the mechanics I have suggested, this is the only outcome that seems to make sense)

Also, as the tech tree progresses, Imperial settlers should become more "powerful" sort of like in Rhyse and Fall of civilization. (new cities start at 4 population, comes with free infrastructure buildings).

It would be cool if Eldar buildings could all be turned into equipment (like certain FFH wonders), and sent to other planets via webway gates. Build a barracks, send it on. Build a barracks, send it on. Something to think about. Might be more appropriate for the Chaos warp-gates? How do we distinguish eldar webway gates with Chaos warpgates?

Honestly, I think that any 40K mod should really just drop space travel altogether. Just do what DOW did and focus the battle on a single world with space assets getting a token representation with FFH magic mechanics.

For example you could co opt the altar victory into a summon hive fleet victory for the nids.

So opting out of space travel ... would you prefer only land, or land+sea?

and what would sea-units be in this case? Would see be mostly a barrier? Something that only Nids and Eldar can cross?

I don't know anything about Warhammer, but I figure if you want space travel, LyTning has just made a multiple maps modcomp.

link? :)

Hmm.

It might work for a scenario, but space travel in a game with multiple persistent star systems (instead of just one star system that you leave forever to enter a new one) would not be compatible with that system.

It does sound great, however, for some kind of (Space Marines campaign) scenario or a (Tyrannids/Necrons travel from system to system killing everything) scenario.

Has anyone put any more work into this in the last few years? Do people still have the associated files? What 'The Great Apple' put together would be great, and even what 'Black Baron' shared in his "A legitimate Warhammer 40,000 mod' thread would be helpful (but the link there no longer leads to the file(s)... ) or even whatever PPQ may have put together. Yes, I saw your thread for the "40k Mini-mod?" in the WHFB sub-forum, but you never linked to any files.

Mostly I'm wondering as I was starting to create a map recently to use in such a mod/scenario when I realized that making the map is not the best place to start. Unfortunately, I have no skills with coding or graphics, but I can do the map for a scenario.

how many workable unit arts do we have?

I could possibly try an FFH2 modmod using some scattered 40k art. (a good starting place I think, due to the plentiful ork art lying around :p)

Personally, I don't have (that I know of anyway) any usable art for it. In the various threads, various people have posted that they are/were able to extract usable art, but I don't recall any ever posting links to such. I did a quick survey of the Unit Graphics thread here on CFC, and found a few possibilities though.

This one contains one model that comes very close to a Whirlwind.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=322227

This one is even listed as being Imperial Guardsmen.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=445006

While this one may not be usable as is, the unit uses a Meltagun like effect.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=314685

That's all I've been able to find so far that is even semi-directly W40K material, IMHO. Really makes me wish I had discovered CFC years ago. Ah well.

Top Bottom