Warhammer fantasy units/graphics preview/development thread

My only complaints would be to make the legs and neck slightly longer... Just to keep it from having that 'Baby Cow' look :lol:

on a side note: This is what I've come up with for the Pegasus Knight... It's sort of a mix of Greek (ish) and Medieval Europe jousting armor (although vastly decreased to save on weight). For the civ-colors I was thinking the feathers on his helmet and possibly the stripes on the lance. I'm not sure if it would fit in with the Warhammer world. I've seen Pegasi models but they always had more heavily armoured Bretonnian Knights on board.

Yah, I'll do the horse taller (legs longer). I've compared this chariot with the vanilla chariot, and now the horse is roughly the same size as that one :)

[edit]: Terrific pegasi with a rider :thumbsup:
I'm sure it would work quite well as a bretonnian pegasi too. Altough I'm a bit surprised about the black colour... aren't they usually pictured 'white'? (altough I'm pretty sure that nobody has ever seen a real pegasi, and thus cannot say what colour they - not even usually - are)

:goodjob: That pegasus knight is incredible Kinboat!

Edit: @aaglo - Well all the stories, pictures, etc. usually show them as white. But since its fantasy there's no reason they couldn't be black, brown, palamino, etc. Same goes for a unicorn as well. :D

Wow. Just... wow, to both of you.

Aaglo, the Chariot is looking awesome and my only teeny-tiny suggestion would be to give it some wear and tear, since they are old and the models do have some depicted on them.

Kinboat, the Pegasi Knight is very impressive. As it's Grandraem's lottery pick I'll not comment on it, but I'm sure that in lieu of a more Bretonnian Pegasi knight, whatever your final product is will be gratefully used (at least by me it will :) )

aaglo said:
[edit]: Terrific pegasi with a rider :thumbsup:
I'm sure it would work quite well as a bretonnian pegasi too. Altough I'm a bit surprised about the black colour... aren't they usually pictured 'white'? (altough I'm pretty sure that nobody has ever seen a real pegasi, and thus cannot say what colour they - not even usually - are)

Real Pegasai are Chartruce

@kinboat- interestinglly enough, the helmet and brest plate, beign a mix of greek and medieval influnces, actually hits the nail on the head for early Roman armor ;)

I agree with Plotinus about the scaryness of the horse skull. I think that the nostrils should be much larger, like a large ragged hole. Other than that nit I think it looks very good. :)

Does a horse skull even have two seperate holes for the Nostrils? I thought it was one large hole (possibly seperated with cartilage like a human's).

Well I went away from the 'traditional' white pegasus just to be different (and I'm not even sure if an Appalosa horse comes in black... most pictures of them are a much lighter brown, but there again I went wild :D) Plus while the helmet looks greekish to me, it actually came from an early Italic tribe (don't recall which) living in the north of Italy before Rome conquered them... So it's closer to Rome than Greece there.

Yes, it does seem very close to Rome and Greece, and you and Xen have said. As I recall, Grandraem had stated that he wanted a more Medieval knight than a Greco-Roman cavalryman, however it is possible I am mistaken. I'm interested to see what Grandraem has to say, but if I was correct in his desiring a more medieval-type knight, some barding, silvery armor, and a shield for the knight might do the trick.

I've already shown it to him and he seemed pleased... While I am making a fictional creature I have some problems putting barding on a pegasus. However would the poor creature fly ;)

Kinboat said:
Does a horse skull even have two seperate holes for the Nostrils? I thought it was one large hole (possibly seperated with cartilage like a human's)...
Yep, that's it, check Gomurr's pic, for instance.

@kinboat-if this is supposed to be an air unit, can we have the horse *erm* pagasus, poop as a bombing attack? :D

Pegasi looks excellent, but what's that pelt like thing at the back of the pegasus? It looks a little strange as I'm not sure whether it is actually a pelt or just part of pegasi coloring (I like the black color btw).

The rider has almost vikingish look at some directions as the wings of the helmet look a bit like horns and the breastplate a bit like a beard. I think I would prefer him with steel armor as it would provide better detail, but that's naturally not for me to decide. :)

@Drift
That pelt-like thing would be part of the natural coloring of an Appaloosa horse, which Kinboat based the coloring of his Pegasus on.

Originally posted by Kinboat:
While I am making a fictional creature I have some problems putting barding on a pegasus. However would the poor creature fly

Could a winged horse actually get itself into the air to begin with, without a rider in armor added into the mix? I mean, seriously, birds have hollow bones and couldn't get airborn if they didn't. Horses would snap their legs constantly if they had hollow bones. So right off the bat we've got problems with a flying horse if we attempt to consider it realistically. So, unless the Pegasus Knight will be animated with the horse running around on the ground flapping it's useless wings awkwardly, I question whether some sense of realism should get in the way. :)

P.S. Do not take the suggestion of the Pegasus running around on the ground flapping its wings awkwardly as a joke suggestion. I would be thoroughly amused if it did that, especially if it managed to trip on its wings for a death animation. :D

@Kinboat
Qualms regarding pseudo-realism aside, the Pegasus Knight just doesn't look right in my opinion. I like the big jousting lance. However, it doesn't fit the rest of the knight. A big medieval-looking weapon doesn't seem to belong in the hands of a man armored in bronze. Nor does it look right for him to be without a shield - it seems unbalanced, and un-pseudo-realistic. How can he joust with a lance like that if he has no shield? And having the horse unarmored just doesn't look right, since jousting knights are always depicted with at least having barding on their horses. If Grandraem is content, I'm sure my concerns have no say in the matter. But as it is, the lance looks out of place, and yet it is the only thing in the unit that is remotely medieval.

aaglo said:
What is/are chartruce (translation or description, please)?

Chartreuse is shade of green with a slight yellow tint (from Wikipedia)
RGB(127,255,0)

Top Bottom