Watcha Writin'?

It seems my thief story has run face-first into writer's block. :wallbash: I've been trying various ways of getting my cyclops into the story, but it just wouldn't go. It finally contorted itself into another story entirely--a crossover between the Odyssey and Star Trek/Galaxy Quest. :huh: I tried a couple of beginnings for this new story, but in the words of Truman Capote, "That's not writing. That's typing," :thumbsdown: I've realized that "Who Mourns for Adonis" notwithstanding," Greek gods have no place in a far-future star-faring tale. Without Poseidon to block Odysseus' way home, I need another nemesis. :evil: I chose...um...Helen :eek2: and to a lesser extent Menelaus :trouble:.

Camp NaNoWriMo is starting in a couple of days...

I shall take a whack at Camp NaNoWriMo. :)

For "Star Odyssey," I guesstimate I can do 500 words per day because Homer has already outlined it for me. I shall need a couple of days off for trips to Tag and a day to do my taxes. So max, I can do [500 X (31-3)] = 14,000 words. :dubious: Ehhh, I'll aim for 12,000 but will tell them 10,000. :shifty:

I've been trying various ways of getting my cyclops into the story, but it just wouldn't go. It finally contorted itself into another story entirely--a crossover between the Odyssey and Star Trek/Galaxy Quest.
Dang, I would've liked to see that fleshed out. :p

It seems my thief story has run face-first into writer's block. :wallbash: I've been trying various ways of getting my cyclops into the story, but it just wouldn't go. It finally contorted itself into another story entirely--a crossover between the Odyssey and Star Trek/Galaxy Quest. :huh: I tried a couple of beginnings for this new story, but in the words of Truman Capote, "That's not writing. That's typing," :thumbsdown: I've realized that "Who Mourns for Adonis" notwithstanding," Greek gods have no place in a far-future star-faring tale. Without Poseidon to block Odysseus' way home, I need another nemesis. :evil: I chose...um...Helen :eek2: and to a lesser extent Menelaus :trouble:.

I shall take a whack at Camp NaNoWriMo. :)

For "Star Odyssey," I guesstimate I can do 500 words per day because Homer has already outlined it for me. I shall need a couple of days off for trips to Tag and a day to do my taxes. So max, I can do [500 X (31-3)] = 14,000 words. :dubious: Ehhh, I'll aim for 12,000 but will tell them 10,000. :shifty:
One of my unfinished fanfics is a crossover between Sliders and Xena: Warrior Princess.

The basic premise is that Alexander the Great didn't die young, but rather continued conquering Asia and didn't stop when he got to the Pacific. Fast-forward 2400 years, and you find the Sliders sliding into a world where California is dominated by Greek temples all over the place, and the dominant language is Greek.

Xena and Gabrielle turn up because that series never gave a damn about keeping things historical. They can turn up anywhere, any time, whether it's possible or even plausible. So there they are, there the Sliders are, and Ares gets annoyed when Arturo pontificates about how the Greek gods never existed.

Arturo learns otherwise.

I've had this story in the planning stages for about 25 years, and still have no idea what the main events are going to be... other than Quinn accidentally getting in trouble with the Amazons and the aforementioned trouble between Ares and Arturo. Maybe some interaction between Gabrielle, Aphrodite, and Wade (since Wade has a bit of an unrequited crush on Quinn, who's always been an idiot who doesn't notice).

Oh, well. I've got this conversation between Duke William and Lady Lyssia running through my head at present, and I should let them finish it.

Awoke after midnight and began working on my Camp NaNoWriMo project. Got 130 words into today's needed 500 words :) and then fell back asleep. :sleep:
I haven't made a thread yet because it's still June 30 here. I'll get going on it ASAP. Then you can keep us updated in that thread.

I don't know what happened but I wrote over 500 words today. Oops.

Why is that a bad thing?

I'm back to working on my thief story, by inserting a new first chapter.

The sages all proclaim a story should open with the main character doing something. Alas, my main character is in prison, so he's doing nothing. My new first chapter will therefore focus on secondary characters unleashing events which will free him. :hide:

My McGuffin problem remains. Crimelord Ash wants something incredibly valuable out of the earl's palace. I nave no idea what it could be. It'll probably be discussed in my new Chapter 1, so I need to figure out soon what it is. :wallbash:

I try to keep my chapters somewhat equal in length. The other chapters are ~2,000 words. So far. I finished 300 words of my new first chapter, so 1,700 to go.

I'm back to working on my thief story, by inserting a new first chapter.

The sages all proclaim a story should open with the main character doing something. Alas, my main character is in prison, so he's doing nothing. My new first chapter will therefore focus on secondary characters unleashing events which will free him. :hide:

My McGuffin problem remains. Crimelord Ash wants something incredibly valuable out of the earl's palace. I nave no idea what it could be. It'll probably be discussed in my new Chapter 1, so I need to figure out soon what it is. :wallbash:

I try to keep my chapters somewhat equal in length. The other chapters are ~2,000 words. So far. I finished 300 words of my new first chapter, so 1,700 to go.
The sages aren't always right. And if your character is in prison, he can always talk to himself (unless that's not an option), or at least think about his situation, other characters' situations, or whatever.

In the alternative version of my novel, the main character spends 7 months imprisoned in a tower, most of that time being tortured in some way. He spends a lot of time thinking, mainly about how to stay alive and also mulling over ideas about how to escape.

Whatever the object Crimelord Ash wants - what does it have to do with the other characters and what effect does it have on their decisions and their actions? If it really doesn't matter, then my suggestion would be to write down a list of half a dozen things, roll a d6, and pick one.

Last night I found one of my Voyager crossover fanfics I'd started. I decided to write a couple of sentences to add to it - it's a holodeck-adventure-gone-weird kind of story, and the crossover is with Bonanza: "Voyager Brides for Cartwright Brothers."

Problem is, I'm only superficially familiar with "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." I will need to remedy that before getting too far in with this story.

Whatever the object Crimelord Ash wants - what does it have to do with the other characters and what effect does it have on their decisions and their actions?

The lazy man's way to create a magical item when the writer doesn't know how it works is to rely upon crystals. :dubious: Bah, that's too cliche. :p
Y'know that statuette of the titan Atlas holding a globe of the Earth on his shoulders? My earl will have a cursed statuette of the titan Uranus holding a globe of the heavens on his shoulders. That's my McGuffin. :popcorn:

Ash would like my MC to break into the earl's palace and steal it :hide: so Ash can have the curse lifted, which is causing the dead to rise. :borg: However, my MC Spider is in prison. Spider's niece shows up and volunteers for the heist. :wavey: Her attempt goes horribly wrong when a cyclops (?) eats her. This takes us back to the beginning of my original Chapter 1, wherein Ash breaks Spider out of the dungeon by going through the catacombs.

Problem is, I'm only superficially familiar with "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." I will need to remedy that before getting too far in with this story.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047472/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Brides_for_Seven_Brothers_(musical)

:hatsoff:

It's 17:25. I've done 630 words so far today, and I do most of my writing at night. :smug:

I chose the name Ash for my crime lord because I wanted something slightly funeral. I'm changing it to Sterling because I want something classy and rich sounding. :yup:

I need to tidy up my religion. My MC is the son of a bishop who has four adult children. So the family is not Catholic. Yet in times of stress, they light candles. :dubious:

It's 17:25. I've done 630 words so far today, and I do most of my writing at night. :smug:

I chose the name Ash for my crime lord because I wanted something slightly funeral. I'm changing it to Sterling because I want something classy and rich sounding. :yup:

I need to tidy up my religion. My MC is the son of a bishop who has four adult children. So the family is not Catholic. Yet in times of stress, they light candles. :dubious:
I tend to do my words in a panic around 11:20 pm, trying to get 500 words by midnight with enough time to spare to enter the updated number on the NaNo site.

Ash is the name of the main character in The Crow: City of Angels (loose sequel to the original Crow movie). The other protagonist is Sarah as an adult (she was a child in the first movie).

As for religion... from all my posts in OT, you'd think I would make every last one of my characters an atheist, right?

Nope. My Fighting Fantasy character worships a mix of both Allansian and Old World deities (mostly the god of warriors and the goddess of justice). I based this on information in the Fighting Fantasy sourcebooks and in the gamebooks I adapted.

There will be a very brief mention of native religion in my Park Ranger stories, but none of the characters are particularly religious.

Now... how to handle religion in the King's Heir stories? Well, there's a scene in which the heir's parents marry in a church ceremony that looks Catholic on the surface, but there are a couple of pagan elements in it as well. So I've decided that Griffinvale is a more cosmopolitan, diverse place than was strictly historically correct for northwestern Europe in the 11th century.

Blame that partly on the mishmash of cultural artifacts in the game itself. The characters speak with a variety of British accents, the main protagonists have a German family name, British/Viking first names (I gave the father a first name because the game developers neglected to do that, and I made it Scandinavian), and their clothing is a mix of Celtic styles and somehow the father is wearing 19th century suspenders (I plan to write a brief scene in which it's made clear that in this universe they were invented a millennium earlier). I'm no expert on 11th century armor, but I'm sure it's equally as much of an anachronistic mishmash; the only absolutely right thing the developers did was have no stirrups on the knights' horses, because at that time, in that place, stirrups were a newfangled thing that not all knights/cavalry had.

So how that relates to religion, I decided that if everything else is a mix of different cultures, I would just make up a religion for them that took various elements from various cultures and add in my own 5 cents' worth. Part of the reason for this is because the developers added an element of magic, in the form of a crown imbued with the spirit of a long-dead king; this crown is very particular about who is entitled to wear it. So whatever religion they follow can't have an intolerant attitude toward magic and spirits, or they'd have to burn their own king at the stake! The way I see it, Griffinvale is to some extent what would have happened if Christianity and the old pagan religions had gotten along instead of clashing and one trying to destroy the other.

That said, everything isn't roses and sunshine. I gave the intolerant attitude to one of the neighboring kingdoms in the alternative story. As Mary said when I was telling her my ideas for that story, it sounds bleak anyway, so I might as well make it bleaker. :p

As for your character, just remember that in real history, Pope Alexander Sixtus had at least 7 children, the first three of whom have mostly been forgotten to history, and two of the remaining four were Cesare and Lucrezia Borgia. While Rodrigo Borgia (his name before being elected Pope) finagled some kind of on-paper parentage for his children that named another man as their father, it was an open secret everywhere that they were really his own children. Nobody really cared except for the Borgias' enemies and those who took it seriously that Catholic church officials weren't supposed to have sex, let alone father any children.

You don't have to be Catholic to light candles. There are other belief systems where candles are a part of various rituals. And come to think of it, I didn't make candle-lighting part of any rituals in Griffinvale. Being practical people, they use candles to see, and also as clocks in some situations (an idea I borrowed from a Classic Doctor Who story, "The Sunmakers" in which candles are marked in hour-long intervals; as the candle burns down to each line marked on it, it means an hour has passed).

They don't say when it starts or ends.

I've met Orson Scott Card. He's a jerk. Of course I didn't tell my sociology instructor that (they were related - cousins, or uncle/nephew; I don't remember).

In what way was he a jerk, if you don't mind me asking?

In what way was he a jerk, if you don't mind me asking?
Most of the time when authors do a book signing, it's something like the date and "To _____, best wishes from _______". Or something similar or maybe related to whatever the book or series is about. Anyway, something positive and friendly.

What he wrote was neither positive nor friendly. And no, I will not repeat it.

Hrumph. Sound unnecessarily nasty. :hmm:
Yeah, I've run across some unfriendly jerks at times. They're not all male, btw. Lois McMaster Bujold wasn't very friendly either, and Ann Crispin didn't want to bother writing out my name correctly (a friend had taken one of my books because it was a convention she was able to attend and I couldn't; my friend told her to write my name correctly).

That said, there are some authors who were wonderful. I remember Crawford Killian, who was one of the authors invited to more than one Con-Version. When I saw him the second time, he said he remembered me from before (we'd chatted about the book I'd asked him to autograph and he commented on my hall costume). I loved meeting Frederik Pohl. He had a reputation as a very no-nonsense person in his younger years, but by the time I met him he was elderly (still very sharp-minded, and accompanied by his fifth wife) and a bit more mellow.

These authors sometimes get tired of autographing the same books over and over, even though each one represents a sale. In Pohl's case, the book I asked him to sign was a hardcover copy of his own autobiography, The Way the Future Was. He was very surprised to see it, and I think he was pleased that someone had been interested enough to read about his life and career (one of his wives was Judith Merrill, who had her own reputation among the early SF writers back when there weren't many women writing - at least under their own names). He took a wander through the pages of black and white photos showing him as a little kid, his parents, and so on. He seemed lost in thought for a bit, and then he signed the book.

I'd caught him at a good time, when there was a chance to chat for a few minutes. I'm very glad to have had the opportunity, as he's dead now. The oldest still-living author I've met is Robert Silverberg.

In his writings, Orson Scott Card gave me a sage piece of advice. :think:

When a writer is faced with a story problem, the writer needs to come up with a solution. The writer should then take that solution, throw it away, and come up with an alternative solution. Then throw away this alternative solution and think of a third solution. Somewhere been the third and fifth solution, one will appear which is not a cliche. :yeah:

In my thief story, my crime lord needs a way of clandestinely learning facts. My first solution was a crystal ball, but that was too cliche. :sleep:I tried out various solutions until I came up with having a minion who is a "blind seer," well not exactly blind, but one with severe cataracts and a nasty disposition. She has the unfortunate name of Hag Holly, which I desperately need to fix. :eek2:

Top Bottom