Watcha Writin'?

Some flash fiction for an obscure flash fiction contest:

"
A particular oddity

While no one would really care to think much of it, time and again we have acquired reason to expect the existence of objects in settings which can’t be said to be well-suited to them. This entire busyness with the supposed statue which was seen by hikers in the forest is only the latest in a long line of phenomena which, under closer inspection, readily show at least a few common traits. Indeed, had this been simply about a statue, no doubt one which somehow outlived the larger edifice it once served as being its peripheral adornment, references to it would have died out long ago; what allowed this particular oddity to retain some of its potential to cause a certain kind of uneasiness and alarm was the fact that, apparently, at times this statue vanishes, and later on appears again.

On the edge of a glade, resting on autumnal leaves, the stony sighting returns, much like if it was a living wanderer. And while it is rarely seen twice by the same observer – it chose so distant a spot, and so large an interval between two appearances there, that it is simply not practical either to wait for it to return when it’s not there, or for it to go away if it’s there – there are already numerous accounts of its presence in that desolate and rather mournful spot in the glade.

Despite the rarity of the event, and the relatively large number of witnesses to it, it remains a matter of very localized interest: If it was happening in some vast and crowed city, definitely the spectacle would have commanded far more attention. But here? Here the statue gets inevitably noticed, but equally inevitably left without an insight as to what it may be; in this indeed it much resembles an idle wanderer who wishes to be left alone.
"

:dubious: It depends upon what the definition of "are" is...

Tor.com's submission's page states: "We will reopen slush a second time in July 2018 for authors who are actively working on (or beginning) something that would fit our list."

Does "are" in this sentence means that Tor will accept stories in progress in July, or (more likely) does "are" means that, at the time the sentence was written, if a writer was working on something, (s)he should hurry up & finish it before July? :badcomp:

Last edited:
The copy I got from Tor last month was a finished manuscript but unedited, intended for July 2018 and marketing outreach release. So I think if they're opening submissions next month, it's for books that will be finished by ~March 2019. That seems like it'd make sense to me, and seems reasonable based on what's in the parentheses.

Lousy day today:
My submission to the Writers of the Future did not win.
Tor rejected my "Orcs and Their Ilk" novella.
:cry: :cry:

Did they say why?

Alas no, albeit Tor said they liked my idea of a heist.

Edit: Admittedly heist stories are HARD because you have to create a "treasure" that is impossible to steal...and then have your guys steal it. :shifty: However I take more pride in my creation of a new RPG class: the jester. Writing stand-up comedy is really, really hard. :badcomp:

Last edited:
:coffee: I've read Maass's "The Emotional Craft of Fiction," which I've used to infuse "Comes Erebus" with more emotional depth, e.g. my main character is no longer just a stereotypical hero sent down from Central Casting. ... My decision to change this story from mere pulp fiction to a really quality work of science fiction has given me a lot of extra work. :whew:

I believe I may have blundered here. Emphasizing emotional depth over action-adventuring fisticuffs has slowed down the story. I needed to inject nail-biting scenes. :eekdance:

Personally, I would find scenes dealing with nail-biting rather disgusting. How about combining both emotion/character development with action/adventure, instead?

But no nail-biting, 'k? :nono: I don't find that entertaining. It's a very bad habit, and one I broke decades ago.

Tor's open for submissions again, 20,000-40,000 word novellas.
They left the wording up from the last open period, so a lot of it is non-nonsensical. :confused:

Now the submissions dates are more clear. :)

"Lee Harris, Carl Engle-Laird, and Ruoxi Chen will be reading and evaluating original novellas between July 30 at 9:00 AM EST (UTC-1:00) and August 13 at 9:00 AM EST (UTC-1:00)"

The more I pushed forward with Comes Erebus under a deadline, the more resistance the story put up. It got to the point where it was no fun to write. :cringe:
So new plan. [party] I've pulled out a really fun parody I used to work on. The Count of Monte Banco is a crossover between a fantasy-parody of The Count of Monte Cristo and the economic crash of 2008. :crazyeye: I'd finished up through Chapter 8, but then I came up against a chasm between it and the rest of the story. I took forays into toying with other chapters, hoping they would show me the way, but no. Plus, Trump's antics eclipsed the Crash of '08. So I moved onto other projects.

Recently, I began thinking that the proposed novel length of the story was maybe the problem. :think: Maybe a novella length would fit better. :) So last night, I pulled out the initial 8 chapters and pasted on the four partially-written chapters.

I ended up with the new problem I expected, to wit: the word count of The Count of Monte Banco is now 33,134-words. Tor limits me to 40,000. So I have less than 7,000 words in which I must shoehorn the rest of the story. :eek2: So this is what I'm dealing with now

We had a power outage yesterday, so I sat reflecting. :think:

I've reviewed The Count of Monte Banco, and see that I can at most cut out 1,000 words, leaving me only a space for 8,000 words for submission as a 40,000-word Tor novella--not nearly enough, and so I'm again looking at this as full-blown novel.

Comes Erebus is not a fun novella to write, and therefore it will not be fun to read. :shake: I think maybe I need to change the voice, copying the lighthearted style of, say, Le Petit Prince. This will take much time & work. :badcomp:

I have the very beginning of a Douglas Adams pastiche entitled What Lies at the End of the Universe, but since I have no outline yet and don't even know the answer to the titular question, I won't be able to finish this novella in the few weeks remaining.

So...I'm jettisoning my plan to submit a novella this month. :(
I'll probably go back to working on The Count of Monte Banco. It is a lot of fun. [party]

I'll probably go back to working on The Count of Monte Banco. It is a lot of fun. [party]

After years of languishing in my computer, I finally finished Chapter 8 of The Count of Monte Banco. I'm now planning on 16 total chapters, so I'm halfway done. :whew:

I'm at 28,000 words, and so my projected total is 56,000 words...a little short for a novel. :(

Edit, later: This is delightful!

Decreasing the number of chapters from 24 to sixteen really got things moving. :thumbsup: New characters are popping into existence; one current character must be renamed to bring her in line with the plot; hot chocolate is now the ubiquitous beverage or my economy won't collapse when I want it to. I have a new city [talked about only]. If I'd have gone the novella route, Mad King Prometheus would have been axed; now he's back. This is like a barrel of monkeys being tipped over with chaos reigning. :rotfl:

Last edited:
I have the very beginning of a Douglas Adams pastiche entitled What Lies at the End of the Universe, but since I have no outline yet and don't even know the answer to the titular question, I won't be able to finish this novella in the few weeks remaining.
I read that two different ways. There could be something strange at the end of the Universe (already covered in the "Restaurant" novel), or when someone gets to the end of the universe, they meet all the most notorious liars that history has ever produced. Maybe a convention of liars, or a contest to become the Ultimate Liar.

I read that two different ways.

Tru dat :goodjob: but there's also the possibility that the universe has a physical edge.

:think: ... or the Lie at the end of the universe is that everything is based on One Big Lie [which admittedly is kind of implied in the original Hitchhikers book].

Valka's liars' convention is the best interpretation so far :thumbsup: but I doubt I have the skills necessary to pull off cornucopia of interwoven lies :sad: .

What if, instead of a liars' convention, it was a convention of philosophers, each rushing to the end of the universe to present God with that philosopher's idea of what the true nature of the universe is? :think:

Easy. The true nature of the universe is pizza.

I take royalties through cheque.

@Zkribbler, did you ever watch the game show "The Liars' Club"? The idea was that there were 4 celebrity panelists who would tell the contestants about something or someone, three of them would be lying, and the contestants would have to guess which one was telling the truth.

William Shatner was one of the celebrity panelists at one point, and so was David Letterman.

Maybe have something like that in your story, but the stakes are far higher than a bit of prize money (I don't remember what the show gave the winners; I just remember that Shatner made such a ham of himself with a fake German accent that the host had to tell him to stop).

It's an interesting idea... it's the end of the universe, humans have been searching for "truth" for as long as the concept has existed, so if any lies are allowed to win out there won't be anyone around to refute them.

Top Bottom