1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

We need another scale.

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Naokaukodem, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

I've always felt that how cities are represented we lack space cruely to represent things. Not only in an aesthetic point of view, but gameplay one too.

1. Like, City-States in reality don't take (at least in modern times) whole regions of a country, a single tile should suffice for that.

Apart from city-States, which is an example, i don't have the other things in mind but I feel something's wrong with the scale of the map, and it's not about units being higher than buildings. (if any, I would like a return to single geant units, because it's hard to distinguish them apart from their icon, and appreciate the art)

2. If only for the 1 unit per tile, there's obviously not enough space for everything PRODUCED legitimately to order an attack, even in rather small quantities.

Maybe we need an increased level of zoom/unzoom, that the player would be incentived to play with a lot more than now. (and also more automatic camera moves, for example when a unit moves)

3. I was making a thread about "railroads everywhere" that i did like a lot in Civ1-4, but admitting it wasn't very realistic, and appealing for a better compromise, before realizing the result was under my eyes already, and finally didn't post it. Now, with this thread, I realize that there is space for more/more realistic features on the map if we employ a better zoom, like roads/highways, more granularity in the land's shape (a "plain" the size of a tile is never totally plane, hence the seemingly random curves we see on modern roads in Civ and in reality (the difference here being that in Civ, plains are perfectly plane)) I agree it might open the pandora box of a tile definition, like what if there's no more simple and well-distinguishable tiles like "hills", but I find it too schematic now anyway. Maybe a single tile should be workable by several citizens ?

2. The Civs 6

The Civs 6 Prince

I think Civ 6 would make a lot more sense if you increased the number of tiles by a magnitude of 10. Or if you reduced the scale of the story it is trying to tell. So I feel what you are saying.

3. criZp

criZp Emperor

Agree, more tiles would also be great for more interesting unit positioning.

White Spider 8 likes this.
  4. White Spider 8

White Spider 8 Chieftain

Think this would help with late game units too. A lot of them should be ranged: tanks; mechanized infantry, even regular infantry and musketmen should have a short range; helicopters, don’t get me started on melee helicopters. :crazyeye:

If there was a macro and micro scale it could easily fix this, as well as the things you all have mentioned.

5. Lazy sweeper

Lazy sweeper Warlord

I was thinking going back to squares couldn't be bad, then I thought Minecraft. Couldn't be possibly the first to have thinked about it. Go check. 2M views.

6. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

Square should be terrible!
    BUT can't be used to do a version mobile.

7. mdl5000

mdl5000 Prince

I would only disagree when you consider that movement points would have to increase at the same proportion. Which might be acceptable for some, but for me, I have difficulty guessing a movement of 12 or 13 tiles compared to 5 or 6

8. jasper

jasper Warlord

2. No. Terrain should matter. Its much more interesting if defense modifiers can be found naturally in the landscape instead of +%'s in the tiles bonus.

9. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Did I say the contrary ?

What's the difference ?