Weird bug: some .dds files simply stopped loading, have no idea why

Seileach

Chieftain
I made a mod where i basically replaced the original leader icons, diplo screens and DoM screens with fantasy art from Pathfinder and MtG mostly, as well as some changes in leader names, city names, nothing too fancy.

The mod worked perfectly at first, the leader icons showed as intended, as did the DoM and diplo screens.

When I loaded the savegame to resume my game, however, my civ's icon and screens had reverted to the original icon and screens. All the other civs remained duly modded, just my civ, the Celts, had reverted.

Weirder still, when I set up a new game, the old icon and map appeared on the set up screen, but on the civ list the new leader icon was visible (see images attached).

This one got me really stomped. It can't be a problem with the icon atlas, cause all the other civ leaders kept their modded icons. It can't be a problem with the .xml file that enforces the changes to the Celts, cause other changes like city names were working just fine.

I even tried clearing the cache, as a last resort, didn't help.

Could anyone help me out? This doesn't prevent me from playing the game, but it's really annoying, I really like the graphics I chose for this mod...

Cheers,
Seileach

Attachments

• Boudicca01.jpg
    Boudicca01.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Boudicca02.jpg
    Boudicca02.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 70
Apparently this bug is related to the Set Up screen: whichever civ is preset on the Set UP screen gets reverted to the original graphics.

JFD has had similar problems with Icon reversion to the 'standard' setting for civs where he was changing the icon used by the stock civ. It is a known and so far as I understood it nearly insurmountable issue related to data caching. (known to mod-making community: I'm not sure Firaxis knows of or cares about it). Any time you change the art assests being used by one of the Firaxis-supplied civs without calling the civ something else (such as CIVILIZATION_CELTS_NEW instead of CIVILIZATION_CELTS) you apparently will get this uncontrollable reversion. I believe leaders will also show the same behavior if you simply change the icon for the leader without changing the leader-name as used within the XML.

All this is assuming I am correctly remembering the root cause of this irksome behavior.

Found a quick fix: in config.ini, set LastCiv to -1. That set the civ in the Game Setup screen to random, thus eliminating the conflict.

... until you next start the game (as that value will then be changed to whatever civ you last played as!)

... until you next start the game (as that value will then be changed to whatever civ you last played as!)

I thought so too, and I was more than prepared to change that setting manually every time i played... but it's not happening :D For some reason, the value stays at -1.

I'm guessing the game does change the file, but not every single time I play. Maybe it changes it at fixed intervals, or when it autosaves a game, or after a game is set up, I don't know...

Anyhow, I'm still checking that value every time before playing, it only takes a second with Notepad++ and it's way less annoying than the graphic reversion :D

Top Bottom