Welcome to EMA!

Head Serf

Emperor
European Middle Ages Mod Resurrection
Version 0.74 for Civ4 Vanilla 1.61 Not recommended for Macintosh computers

The European Middle Ages team proudly presents our mod focusing on the European Middle Ages, from approximately 500 to 1500 AD. Most aspects of the game have been changed or redone, including a new tech tree, a new civic system, new units, new promotions, new traits, new buildings, new wonders, new nations and leaders, and several new resources. There is also a highly recommended medieval music add-on, which definitely adds to the medieval feel.

This mod, along with being playable on random maps, is very usable as a kind of "umbrella" mod serving as the base for a whole range of historical scenarios. Currently included with the mod is a standard scenario with a map of Europe and the Near East (55 by 45) and another map of the same area, but larger, (80 by 64). Several scenario makers also have made scenarios for use with the mod, including Craig_Sutter's The Viking Age and The Age of Kings and my own The Dark Ages.

For this mod we have made available enough assets such as flags, civ leaders, and civilizations, so that every possible medieval scenario can be made.

Thanks to Craig_Sutter for extensive testing, the new GameSpeedInfos.XML, the entire naval unit system, his ideas, many city lists, the townhall fix. and many other things.
Thanks to Drtad for extensive testing, city lists, historical research, help with Armenian Great People, hosting in the past, finding new leaderheads, and a lot of general brainstorming among many other things.
Thanks to lshockley for putting together comprehensive lists for all of the Great People, along with advice on how to get the great people to be more logical in-game, and for doing basically the entire building and wonder system, and a lot of the buttons, along with help in other things.
Thanks to Broken_Hawk for many city lists, some leaderhead civilopedia entries, and many other things.
Thanks to Gordon Farrel for his buttons and many other things.
Thanks to Lecapenus dk for his unit art fixes.
Thank you to hr_oskar for working so hard on this mod.

And thanks to everyone who provided city lists and other forms of support.
If I forgot your name just send me a PM and I'll include you on the list.

0.4 removed after 1528 downloads.
0.45 removed after 962 downloads, or 2492 total.
0.5 removed after 1763 downloads, or 4255 total.
0.56 removed after 1627 downloads, or 5882 total.
0.65 removed after 868 downloads, or 6750 total.

Here is the list of civilizations on the Small and Large Europe maps:
  1. England
  2. France
  3. Spain
  4. Germany
  5. Italy
  6. Moors
  7. Hungary
  8. Poland
  9. Vikings
  10. Byzantines
  11. Russia
  12. Turkey
  13. Egypt
  14. Armenia
  15. Tatars
  16. Lithuania (Large map only)
  17. Arabia (Large map only)

Many
more civilizations are included in the mod for Play Now! games and scenarios.

Here is the tech tree as of version 0.74, along with an example of a leader.

Attachments

• 1 Tech 65.JPG
    1 Tech 65.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,246
  • 2 Tech 65.JPG
    2 Tech 65.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 3 Tech 65.JPG
    3 Tech 65.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • 1 Leader 65.JPG
    1 Leader 65.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,344
Hum. Why you miss Bulgaria. It was a great counterpart of Byzantine from 680 to 1400 AD. Their territory were on the bolkans, today's Romania and Serbia. Even one of the Budapest part - the Buda town(it was castle) were bulgarian.
They had great military for their time and captured Constantinopol around 750 AD. In the early middle ages their army defeat the Latin Empire knight Armies which made possible for the Byzantinians to recapture Constantinopol from the 4th Crusaide forces. And so on.

Bulgaria is included for scenarios, just not in the main scenario. As we are limited to 18 civs with vanilla Civ, certain choices were made. When/If we use Warlords or Beyond the Sword expansions (which allow for more than 18 Civs), others may be included in the main scenario.

I'm certain some of the scenarios that will be produced for this mod will include Bulgaria (I've made one that does, although it hasn't yet been updated to the new version of the mod).

The Bulgars led by Krum will be available to scenario makers. Look at the pedia entries. It is still in development.

Oh yea, what Craig said. :blush:

I think the game may run smoother with more civs and bigger maps in BtS, if so I hope you consider expanding the scenario slightly.

I think the game may run smoother with more civs and bigger maps in BtS, if so I hope you consider expanding the scenario slightly.
Hopefully, there are so many great civs that have been overlooked. Must haves for a BTS version would be:

Shahdom of Khwarezm
Republic of Novgorod
Kingdom of Georgia
Zirid Emirate
Abbasid Caliphate

If they were to be added I have tons of pictures of what their UU's would be from Medieval 2 Total War. (especially Khwarezm)

Hopefully, there are so many great civs that have been overlooked. Must haves for a BTS version would be:

Shahdom of Khwarezm
Republic of Novgorod
Kingdom of Georgia
Zirid Emirate
Abbasid Caliphate

If they were to be added I have tons of pictures of what their UU's would be from Medieval 2 Total War. (especially Khwarezm)

:) :)

I have some suggestions but they may be over the top. I would suggest splitting up Italy, adding portugal, splitting up scandinavia into sweden and denmark, and replace arabia with the abbasids.

I love your suggestions Drtad but are you sure you would like to move that far east into transoxiana? You would have to add a persian civ between the abbasids and khwarezm probably the buwayhids or tahirids.

:) :)

I have some suggestions but they may be over the top. I would suggest splitting up Italy, adding portugal, splitting up scandinavia into sweden and denmark, and replace arabia with the abbasids.

I love your suggestions Drtad but are you sure you would like to move that far east into transoxiana? You would have to add a persian civ between the abbasids and khwarezm probably the buwayhids or tahirids.
Ahh, that's right. Maybe the Sassanids could be the Persian civ, and the Abbassids could be scrapped and just the Arabs put in Arabia (Mecca). I just think the Khwarezmians would be a very cool faction to add. As for Italy and Spain...

Italian factions:
Kingdom of Italy
Norman Kingdom of Sicily
Papacy?

Iberian factions:
Kingdom of Asturias OR Castile y Leon
Crown of Aragon OR Kingdom of Aragon OR County of Barcelona
Kingdom OR County of Portugal

I have been thinking that maybe the actual names of the factions could be done the way MTW (the original) has it, by ethnicity. For example, instead of "Byzantine Empire" or "Kingdom of Armenia", you would have "The Byzantines" and "The Armenians". This would be better since throughout the period each civ changed titles a lot. (County of Portugal turned into Kingdom, etc.)

For italy: the italian city states and sicily would be nice.

For iberia you can choose between: portugal, cordoba, castile, leon, or aragon. I won't include navarre because they were too small and weak.

I agree that moving the map to include khwarazm would be interesting, you would be splitting focus and leave less open spots for more european civs and plus my mod wil be doing that...

Another suggestion I would like to add would be to change the arab UU to something other than the daylami. The daylamis were esoteric mercenaries not widely used and in fact I think they're use ended with the sassanids. The arabs in this area more widely used ghulams, bedouins, mamluks of various backgrounds. Ansar warriors are also a good choice.

Adding the sassanids would not be a good idea because they were finished by the 7th century and do not paint an accurate picture of "medieval" persia. There wasn't really a persian civ to my liking during this time because either they were turks whose capitals were outside persia or muslims of some kind who ruled from baghdad. The next persian civ after the sassanids would be the safavids who actually originated out of azerbaijan and they didn't arrive until the late 1500's.:sad: To my knowledge the saffarids of sistan would make the best persian civ or even the ilkhans who ruled all of greater persia from their assorted capitals by tabriz.

The Daylami is and has always been the (Sassanid) Persian UU. I personally think that it would be difficult to add any new civs and keep the map balanced. Dividing Italy between the states and Sicily would leave both very weak (Sicily is not anywhere near large enough to hold a civilization). Dividing Spain would provide a similar problem.

Although Khwarezm would be an interesting addition, I don't know if the map should expand that far eastwards. Novgorod could be another interesting choice that might be more possible.

The Daylami is and has always been the (Sassanid) Persian UU. I personally think that it would be difficult to add any new civs and keep the map balanced. Dividing Italy between the states and Sicily would leave both very weak (Sicily is not anywhere near large enough to hold a civilization). Dividing Spain would provide a similar problem.

Although Khwarezm would be an interesting addition, I don't know if the map should expand that far eastwards. Novgorod could be another interesting choice that might be more possible.
The Kingdom of Sicily held much more than just Sicily. They held all of Southern Italy and North African trade cities after they conquered them from the Zirids. What could be done is that regions such as Italy couldbe made more fertile and resource rich but divided between the Siculo-Normans in the South and the Kingdom of Italy in the North. Spain could also be increased in richness to alleviate the problem of having smaller civs.

On the other hand, something that could be done is all tech costs could be reduced and more civs added to split the ahistorical conglomerations that are present (Spain, Italy, France, Germany...). France (huge and overlypowerful currently already) could be split between the Kingdom of France based in Paris, the County of Toulouse based at Toulouse, and Aquitane based in Bordeaux (I think). The British Isles could be split between Ireland based at Dubh Lin, Scotland at Edinburgh and England at London (Wales maybe, but they are kinda way too small). Spain likewise could be divided with the County/Kingdom of Portugal, the Kingdom of Asturias (or Castile y Leon), and the Catalans (Aragon, Barcelona). Germany could remain as is. They might be at an advantage in that they are united, but they are put at a disadvantage by the fact that they are right in the center of Europe and could get ganged up on pretty easily.

About Khwarezm, they were very important to the politics of the Caucasus as well as Anatolia and that Eastern pressure should be represented to some degree. And they would be better for Persia than the Sassanids, but all you would need to do is extend the map to the other side of the Caspian. The far Eastern frontiers of Khwarezm aren't imperative to the mod.

I would suggest changing spain to the kingdom of castile as they were the most powerful medieval kingdom of iberia and the moors to the berbers because the moors also represents the muslims of al-andalus which I think moors are more representative of. Berbers would be a better catch all civ for north africa as they were the actual people who lived in north africa and most the north african dynaties were berber or another african including the almoravids, almohads, marinids, hafsids, zirids,zayyanids, and others.

i would suggest more than one period in a post. your sentences are longer than tolkiens in the Silmarillion.

Are we discussing the scenario that comes with the mod, here, or the 18 civilizations basic to the mod? All these civs that are being mentioned in this series of posts seem fine in any one particular scenario, but there's no way they can all be accommodated in the prime 18, in my humble opinion.

For scenarios, if for instance, one wants to include Denmark and Norway instead of the Viking civ, this is easily done by including 2 viking civs in the mod, and using WBS file editing to change to appropriate leader and Civ names. They would have the same UU, but even the leader head and traits could differ with creative juggling within the WBS. Similarly, multiple Arab/Islamic/Moorish/Rus/ etc civs could be created.

Anyhow, I just want to note that there are very many civs included in the mod that do not come out in the basic included scenario, but provide very valuable resources for scenario construction, and that may likely provide the basis for adding many of the civs being mentioned in the latest posts in this thread.

The full list of civilizations is:

1. England
2. Saxony (Anglo-Saxony)
3. Welsh
4. Normans
5. Scottish
6. Ireland
7. France (Franks)
8. Germany (German Kingdoms)
9. Goths
10. Crusaders (Teutonic Knights, Templars, Hospitallers)
11. Spain
12. Portugal
13. Italian States (General Italian Kingdoms)
14. Venice
15. Papal States
16. Vikings (Scandinavian Kingdoms)
17. Lithuania
18. Poland
19. Russia (Kievan Rus)
20. Hungary
21. Byzantines (East Roman Empire)
22. Roman Empire
23. Slavs
24. Armenia
25. Arabia
26. Egypt
27. Turks
28. Moors (Berbers)
29. Persia
30. Tatars
31. Mongols
32. Bulgars
33. Khazars

Are we discussing the scenario that comes with the mod, here, or the 18 civilizations basic to the mod? All these civs that are being mentioned in this series of posts seem fine in any one particular scenario, but there's no way they can all be accommodated in the prime 18, in my humble opinion.
Yes, but I am talking about BTS. It will allow us to break up those ahistorical conglomerations like "Italians", "France" and "Spanish Kingdoms" and would make the scenario a bit more historical.

The full list of civilizations is:

1. England
2. Saxony (Anglo-Saxony)
3. Welsh
4. Normans
5. Scottish
6. Ireland
7. France (Franks)
8. Germany (German Kingdoms)
9. Goths
10. Crusaders (Teutonic Knights, Templars, Hospitallers)
11. Spain
12. Portugal
13. Italian States (General Italian Kingdoms)
14. Venice
15. Papal States
16. Vikings (Scandinavian Kingdoms)
17. Lithuania
18. Poland
19. Russia (Kievan Rus)
20. Hungary
21. Byzantines (East Roman Empire)
22. Roman Empire
23. Slavs
24. Armenia
25. Arabia
26. Egypt
27. Turks
28. Moors (Berbers)
29. Persia
30. Tatars
31. Mongols
32. Bulgars
33. Khazars

My processor just passed out when it saw the number of civs. Can we shave the list down by 7-10 civs?

Top Bottom