What a blase "Victory" ending!

CaptainPatch

Lifelong gamer
One voiced quote, then "Exit to Main Menu" or "Just...one...more...turn." No Hall of Fame. No final demographics comparison with the other factions. No time lapse map transition to recap your rise to glory. Blah. Just blah.

Not to mention that the Domination victory screen tries hard to guilt your conscience.

Yeah...I'm pretty baffled by the fact that there's no cool victory vid at the end of the game. That would have added so much immersion. Another missed opportunity in this game of so, so many missed opportunities.

I agree, ending could have done with an (optional) cinematic, and heck, roll the credits. After you do exit to main menu you can find a "replay" of a finished game under Other > Replays. It only shows bar graphs of various values throughout the game, but ... its... something?

I imagine they'll add more later, as the replay function in Civ 5 vanilla wasn't present at launch either.

I can understand that you hoped for more than what we got with civ V vanilla (so did I), but you actually expected it?

I can understand that you hoped for more than what we got with civ V vanilla (so did I), but you actually expected it?

It's actually less though. I didn't expect a cinematic (though that would be really cool), but I certainly expected a map replay and stats... instead I have to go to the main menu for that ? Lame.

Be honest guys, fancy end video is a one time see -> click to fast end on every other time. But I must admit every time I end a game in Civ5 or CBE a part in my soul dies when that graphics show up :( I really miss stats at the end and also Hall of Fame. That is a real blah as OP sugested.

It's actually less though. I didn't expect a cinematic (though that would be really cool), but I certainly expected a map replay and stats... instead I have to go to the main menu for that ? Lame.

That didn't exist in Civ V on its first release, they added it later.

The only thing that was there was the the scoreboard (the one with various historical figures and their quotes), which is mostly irrelevant imo.

You CAN get to the demographics and stuff once you get to the Main Menu. It's under (I think) "Other" (or "Extras"?), then "Replays". The only thing missing I really enjoyed in other games is the time lapse playback of the map.

Yeah, it doesn't need a full video, but something to contextualise the whole thing would help. While Civ is a strategy game, one of its strengths has always been that it's very thematic (there's a reason why even chess assigns names and shapes to the pieces, our brains, in general, need some metaphor for numbers).

I would've been happy with an ending collage in the same vein as the ME3 Extended Cut thing (link, spoilers for Mass Effect, obviously). It doesn't have to be a CGI video, just having something where you give some "weight" to your victory would help a lot.

Then follow with the Hall of Fame, some endgame tweaks to make it more of a "race" and I think the game could actually feel pretty satisfying when you win.

The only thing that was there was the the scoreboard (the one with various historical figures and their quotes), which is mostly irrelevant imo.

Dan Quayle finally sued them. Without him as the legendarily bad leader they decided to just take it out altogether.

I am very disappointed in the victory screens. After all that work building the mindflower or the beacon I'd really love to get some flavor to go along with my victory... what happens? Did the aliens come? Did the planet communicate? Give me something!

Half of what made SMAC great was all the flavor and lore that BE is lacking.

I am very disappointed in the victory screens. After all that work building the mindflower or the beacon I'd really love to get some flavor to go along with my victory... what happens? Did the aliens come? Did the planet communicate? Give me something!

This!
TBH, Domination is the only choice that reveals any background lore on the game. The Great Mistake =
Spoiler :
War

I think firaxis just used a beacon as a contact victory picture to prevent potential spoilers of what the aliens could be.

In SMAC, they didn't have victory videos, they had a combination of a mostly linear storyline text and the pictures on that huge pyramid thing, which is pretty much just like achievements but resets each game.

Wait. Is that real or are you joking?

I was just joking but that would be funny to me.

Some Dan Quayle quotes they could have used on that leader board:

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history.… No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history"

as when he addressed the United Negro College Fund, whose slogan is "A mind is a terrible thing to waste," and said, "You take the UNCF model that what a waste it is to lose one's mind or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit [as Earth]....Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

and he misspelled potato.

Given the victories possible in this game they could have made some really cool videos.

It's disappointing that they put so much effort into the opening cinematic that people typically watch only once. If their was victory videos of the same quality of the opening cinematic it would be epic.

Instead we just get some vague artwork, so anti-climactic

Manufacturers probably rationalize that the opening trailers are what get used for Advertising, and therefore the flashier it is, the more customers they will catch. Victory screens, otoh, are seen only by those people whose money the manufacturers have already got. To their thinking it would be, "How does this expenditure of resources make us more money?" It doesn't make any additional money for them, so why go overboard? Obviously, consumers didn't buy the game just to see the Victory screens. Bland or flashy, neither is any motivation one way or the other. So they save themselves some Profit margin by flying in the Economy section.

Top Bottom