• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What are considered standard map settings?

Akatsuki

Chieftain
Hello, I first got in touch with the Civ series by playing Civ revolution on my little brothers 360.
Now I just can't stop playing Civ V, it's so addictive! But before I got introduced to Civilization I played a lot of StarCraft. When playing SC competivly there were a lot of rules that had to be followed. Especially regarding the map and settings. E.g. game speed had to be set at fastest but most importantly people only played on special maps made by "great engineers" in the mecca of StarCraft, South Korea.

So my question is, what are considered standard/fair map settings?
Map type? How many opponents/map size? Map geography(climate, rainfall etc.)? You know what I mean.
If I won on a domination victory on deity, what are the map settings that would make you yell out "no fair game/noob map settings"?

BTW forgot some important info. At the moment I mostly play single player to get some experience.
I play at emperor and I use the same map settings almost every game, continents, 4 opponents, 8 city states, standard settings for all geography, no time victory and no barbarians.

Thank you for your replies

My understanding is that standard setting is Standard speed/Standard size/Continents. Any kinds of island map (Archipelago or Tiny Islands) is considered to be easy because the AI is pretty useless at naval attacks. Other than that I am not sure.

But my favorite civ so far (I have not tried all of them) is Inca. They can be very powerful with any kind of mountainous start and I always enjoy a native revenge type scenario.

Hello, I first got in touch with the Civ series by playing Civ revolution on my little brothers 360.
Now I just can't stop playing Civ V, it's so addictive! But before I got introduced to Civilization I played a lot of StarCraft. When playing SC competivly there were a lot of rules that had to be followed. Especially regarding the map and settings. E.g. game speed had to be set at fastest but most importantly people only played on special maps made by "great engineers" in the mecca of StarCraft, South Korea.

So my question is, what are considered standard/fair map settings?
Map type? How many opponents/map size? Map geography(climate, rainfall etc.)? You know what I mean.
If I won on a domination victory on deity, what are the map settings that would make you yell out "no fair game/noob map settings"?

And BTW, which is your favorite civ and way of victory?

"no fair game/noob map settings" - Domination Only, Archipelago Map.
Anything with only scientific victory.

Hello, I first got in touch with the Civ series by playing

I play at emperor and I use the same map settings almost every game, continents, 4 opponents, 8 city states, standard settings for all geography, no time victory and no barbarians.

You should play with more opponents. The diplomacy becomes a important factor to handle.

And the more the merrier.

Large map/Continents, Epic speed, raging barbarians (and they're STILL quite anemic!), standard nr. of civs & city-states.

Well, these are MY standard settings, anyway. :)

the settings it gives you naturally when you select the map size,
continents or pangea. continents is slightly harder.

as was said tiny islands or archipelago are gamey, or adjusting number of civs/city states. all in all it doesn't matter though, just choose whatever you want and have fun.

My understanding is that standard setting is Standard speed/Standard size/Continents. Any kinds of island map (Archipelago or Tiny Islands) is considered to be easy because the AI is pretty useless at naval attacks. Other than that I am not sure.

But my favorite civ so far (I have not tried all of them) is Inca. They can be very powerful with any kind of mountainous start and I always enjoy a native revenge type scenario.

Inca? I don't see any Inca's in the civilization list. Where did you find them?

Continents is not harder than Pangaea, Ai suck on water based maps, also if u get placed on a continent by yourself its an instant win on anything below immortal.

If there is such a thing IMO it should be standard speed/standard number or civs, city states/continents.

The AI may not be able to handle navy or ocean-going strategy yet but to call pangaea the standard is to neglect a massive part of the game.

Top Bottom