What are your "almost always on" mods?

Mostly UI:

CIVIG 2 (I need stats)
Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments
Colorized Historic Moments
Unique District Icons
More Lenses
Extended Diplomacy Ribbon

Two Gameplay mods that I couldn't play without anymore. Makes the game way more unpredictable, satisfactory and challenging:
Real Strategy
Smoother Difficulty

I want to play Civilizations Expanded and JNR's District Expansions too, but I save that for when I'm bored with the current state of the game (and after all DLC has been released).

Community Quick User Interface is the one I literally won't play the game without.

Gameplay mod:
Free Walls For City-States really slows the conquering of city-states, particularly in the early game. The warmongering AIs will still attack them, but the less violent civs often won't bother

UI Mod:
Policy Change Reminder asks if you want to end your turn when you have a policy card change available

Aesthetic Mods:
Mappa Mundi adds more names of geographical features to the database
Random City Names randomizes the list of city names for each civ, after the capital, so you don't see all the same cities every game
Proverbium replaces all of the quotes for techs, civics and wonders

I don't use any mods, but I have edited the colours of the various civs to make them more appealing to me. I've also corrected a few names for resources, which are things like Aluminium, Nitrates etc.
Oh and I replaced "ranchers" in the John Curtin diplomacy gift message with "drovers". We don't call our farmers "ranchers" here in Australia. : )

EDIT: Re- music - After a while listening to the various game music, I'll often just kill the music and have a playlist running in the background.

EDIT 2: Sort of tangentially related, as Monopolies mode makes culture generation absolutely nuts, I've taken to disabling that victory type until it gets some attention.

Last edited:
I primarily use UI mods.

Better Report Screen is my favorite: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312585482 - Makes the report screen actually useful (able to sort cities by output for example) and lets you see the potential output of all your policy cards to estimate which are the most useful.

I also like the Better Trade Screen and Better Espionage screen mods.

Community Quick User Interface is the one I literally won't play the game without.

Gameplay mod:
Free Walls For City-States really slows the conquering of city-states, particularly in the early game. The warmongering AIs will still attack them, but the less violent civs often won't bother

UI Mod:
Policy Change Reminder asks if you want to end your turn when you have a policy card change available

Aesthetic Mods:
Mappa Mundi adds more names of geographical features to the database
Random City Names randomizes the list of city names for each civ, after the capital, so you don't see all the same cities every game
Proverbium replaces all of the quotes for techs, civics and wonders
Another gameplay mod I really like: Capture Unique Improvements prevents unique improvements from vanishing when a city is conquered or flipped by Loyalty pressure.

I primarily use UI mods.

Better Report Screen is my favorite: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312585482 - Makes the report screen actually useful (able to sort cities by output for example) and lets you see the potential output of all your policy cards to estimate which are the most useful.

I also like the Better Trade Screen and Better Espionage screen mods.

These are really essential, and should be merged into the game as Map Tacks was.

Historical religions - Nice to have variety.
Unlimited Barbarian XP - If I am going to be stuck dealing with barbarians for a big chunk of the game, I'd better get something more than 35 gold for clearing a camp out. It's absolutely stupid that you can only get so much from killing barbarians.

Believe me - you will forgive me the thread necromancy after trying this mod focussed around presenting trade opportunities on a tab and letting you strike the deal with a single click:

QuickTrade.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2460661464

It even features a comfort function to switch between GPT and lump sum payment :love:

Much as I would love to use certain mods, it would limit my shareable saves.
Vanilla allows me to experience the pain but if there was mods I could use
A better pathing mod
Choose land/sea trade
Omg. two of my pet peeves! :mad:

A better pathing mod
Choose land/sea trade

This isn’t true for UI mods - they can be turned on and off at will between saves.

Also your 2 suggested mod ideas are impossible unfortunately.

In addition to the many mods already discussed I really like
- Tactical Camera by Tom Illar (allows closer zooming in and further zooming out)
- Alternate Policy Screen (shows benefits of many policy cards in the screen so you don't have to calculate or guess the benefits)
- Got Lakes map script (lots of map generation options and randomness)
- Concise UI Reloaded (UI overhaul, way useful and I like it more than CQUI)

A better pathing mod
Choose land/sea trade

This isn’t true for UI mods - they can be turned on and off at will between saves.

Also your 2 suggested mod ideas are impossible unfortunately.

Correct, that one is marked as not impacting savegames.

Does it tell you which luxuries you are already trading for? And which the AI do not need?

Yes, the mod takes care of that. It will only list luxury deals where the AI is willing to pay more than the consolation price of 1 Gold (so it checks for the demand site) and since there are two luxury entries ("luxuries" and "luxuries extra") at the left side of the tab (where it lists your own stuff), it distinguishes between luxuries you have excess or not. It even seems to take in account luxuries you have only one physical copy, but CS-driven access to - I have only 1 physical Marble copy left, but 1 from a CS, too...so the mod lists it as surplus copy:
Luxuries.jpg
Marble.jpg

And if you don't want to sell all possible luxuries to a certain leader, the mod allows you to classically renegotiate: You click on the leader pic, the maximum deal is set as default and you can use the usual tools to finetune. So even in that situation you save some clicks...

Believe me - you will forgive me the thread necromancy after trying this mod focussed around presenting trade opportunities on a tab and letting you strike the deal with a single click:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2460661464
It even features a comfort function to switch between GPT and lump sum payment :love:

Well, huge thanks for highlighting this mod - it is bloody amazing! :D
If only it would class open borders as a luxury and let include them as part of the luxuries deal, it would be perfect. Sometimes AI would pay you to have their open borders, if you include them into a luxury deal :)

But already as is, it turns the trading aspect of the game from a really tiresome chore into something quick and pleasant and saves buckets of time. FXS should learn and take notes, but first of all, they should take this mod and include it into their base game and port to the consoles right now. This is easily the best UI mod in all those 4+ years, instant "always on", and forget the "almost" part. This is pure oxygen.

Top Bottom