What are your "almost always on" mods?

I guess my question would be, how many mods _can_ one have? I am currently playing only with the 14 which Potato McWhiskey recommends in his youtube vid on UI mods...if I added all the attractive sounding ones here, I'd likely double that count...is that asking for trouble? Thx!

I guess my question would be, how many mods _can_ one have? I am currently playing only with the 14 which Potato McWhiskey recommends in his youtube vid on UI mods...if I added all the attractive sounding ones here, I'd likely double that count...is that asking for trouble? Thx!

I don't think there is hard limit, but with each mod you add the number of possible conflicts between all of them increases. Not each mod comes with the same risk, though - small interface mods (which most of the time don't affect save games) are less risky...if you see that somethings bites, it's often only an UI issue and you can disable them again. If however two gameplay mods conflict and that conflict shows by a crash mid game, then most likely your save is a lost case.

What mods do you always like to have on? And what ones do you often use but not universally?

The only one I almost 100% of the time have on is Hillier Hills

Moderator Action: Merged with existing thread with same topic. ~ LK

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a lot! Mostly UI improvements, but a few small gameplay tweaks as well:

User Interface Additions\Enhancements
Better City States (UI)
Better Civilopedia (UI)
Better Climate Screen
Better Loading Screen
Better Religion Window (UI)
Better Report Screen (UI)
Better Tech Tree (UI)
Better Unit Flags
Better World Rankings (UI)
Community Quick User Interface
Custom Notifications
Detailed Map Tacks
Enhanced Mod Manager
Environment Skin: Sid Meier’s Civilization V
Even More Reports
Extended Diplomacy Ribbon
Extended Policy Cards
Great Works Viewer
Greatest Cities
Hillier Hills
Map Tacks
Notification Log
Quick Deals
Radial Measuring Tool
Random City Names
Real Era Tracker
Real Governor Inspector
Real Great People
Rihla - Global Rankings
Rosetta - Dynamic City Names
Simplified Combat Reports
Simplified Gossip
Sukritact's Global Relations Panel
What Did I Promise?
Z Tactical View Mode - War Focus

Gameplay Adjustments
ARS - Improved Goody Huts v1.3
ARS - Reduced Owned Capital Penalty v1.0
Capture Unique Improvements
Customization VI
EpsTweak for Healing on Promotion
EpsTweak for Spy Operations
First to Circumnagivate
Greatest Cities Rewards
Zee's Third Party Grievances Reduced

I do avoid Environment Skin Civ 5. It makes the game ugly for me personally. I also cannot look at Civ V graphics any more. It is old. I don't even like Humankind graphics. It's bland. Civ VI has the best graphics! Though, Civ V has very good leaders' animations and screens.

I do recommend a new amazing mod "Zegangani's: Real Allies" that stops all Alliance Players from attacking each others' suzerained City-States.

Last edited:
ARS- Improved Movement
ARS- Better promotions

Hidden Gems, Make combat so much better for players but mainly AI. AI handles warfare much better with this mod on is a total must-have for me.

Quick Deals is an absolute game changer and has removed a lot of the frustrations with trading with multiple civs at once.

Another mod I am toying with are Sukritract's Oceans which adds more variety to the coast and ocean tiles, and I'm impressed by the quality of it.

The last patch brought too many crashes. I've reverted to modless civ as that is a lot more stable for me, but there are for sure a lot of mods that I miss...

- Ultimate take your time
- walls for city states
- walls for capitals
- better coasts
- no loyalty

now that no more patches are coming, I'm going to edit units so the minimum maintenance is 1 gold (warriors et al), and make later ones more expensive, then edit the policies that reduce maintenance - this reduces the number of units in the game

- i'm currently playing giant earth, and literally every land hex (and most coast) from japan to south africa is occupied with a unit

i'll also edit some of the unique improvements (france and scythia)

UI Mods:
Better Deal window
Better Reports screen
Detailed Map Tacks
Enhanced Mod Manager
Happiness and Growth Indicators
Hillier Hills
Unique District Icons
Map Search Extension
Policy Change Reminder
Radial Measuring Tool
Real Great People
Tactical Camera

Game changing
:

Purely Cosmetic:
Pedro Hair fix :mischief:

Other:
Take Your Time Ultimate

This last one is hard to categorise, as it does change the game significantly, but, as all it is doing at it's core is making the game last closer to the length it is advertised at... then it isn't game changing per say. ie. My marathon games should come close to 1500 turns most games. But I would say that without any slowdown mod they're all over by around 800-900 turns. The only times I've ever cracked the 1000 is with Take Your Time on.

UI Mods:
Better Deal window
Better Reports screen
Detailed Map Tacks
Enhanced Mod Manager
Happiness and Growth Indicators
Hillier Hills
Unique District Icons
Map Search Extension
Policy Change Reminder
Radial Measuring Tool
Real Great People
Tactical Camera

Game changing
:

Purely Cosmetic:
Pedro Hair fix :mischief:

Other:
Take Your Time Ultimate

This last one is hard to categorise, as it does change the game significantly, but, as all it is doing at it's core is making the game last closer to the length it is advertised at... then it isn't game changing per say. ie. My marathon games should come close to 1500 turns most games. But I would say that without any slowdown mod they're all over by around 800-900 turns. The only times I've ever cracked the 1000 is with Take Your Time on.

What setting do you use for great people? I've yet to hit a sweet spot. 960 is too short, 9000 too long.

What setting do you use for great people? I've yet to hit a sweet spot. 960 is too short, 9000 too long.
You're talking the changes that Take Your Time Ultimate allows for? I haven't changed that yet. Generally I change the base tech and civic costs, the scaling costs, the world era costs, and the era score cost.

Top Bottom