What are your favorite social policies and/or civics thus far?

CoconutTank

Unapologetic Warmonger
Supporter
I haven't had time to utilize every policy and play through every civ yet, but I've been starting to notice some patterns with the way I play, for better or worse. With that in mind, I try playing a little differently in subsequent games, but I won't deny that I have certain preferences that I push for. Some policies are great contextually, others are often good for the whole game, whether in peace or war. With the exception of Survey, I'm not sure if there are policies which are just outright horrible.

That said, in no specific order...

1. Conscription (State Workforce) / Levee En Masse (Mobilization)
This series of policies are way too important to me lol. I don't necessarily leave Conscription in my gov't for the rest of the game; sometimes it's only saving me 3 gold at best if my army hasn't grown a lot. But in early game this could potentially make my entire army free of maintenance. Levee En Masse is available in the Modern era, at which point units start costing about 6 gpt, but I think it's still a very fine policy to have.

2. Ilkum (Craftmanship) / Serfdom (Feudalism) / Public Works (Civil Engineering)
This series of policies are also nice to have. But unlike Conscription / Levee En Masse, I'm usually rotating these policies in and out of my gov't pretty often. At least with Ilkum, I get the chance to squeeze in a Builder between things in my build queues without feeling like I fall too far behind on whatever. But eventually I've plopped down as many improvements as I would've liked, with some remaining spaces left for districts and wonders in the very near future, and I stop building Builders for quite awhile. This series is more useful late game than early game, at which point I've probably expanded and captured quite a bit.

3. Their Finest Hour (Suffrage) / Strategic Air Force (Globalization)
I'm silly and I like air units too much.

4. Caravansaries (Foreign Trade) / Triangular Trade (Mercantilism)
These bonuses are simple, but they apply to internal and external trade routes, so I'm usually very happy to use this series of policies. I can't quite justify using Caravansaries early game, particularly if I only have one or two trade routes going, but eventually once I have ~5 active trade routes or more? A bonus +10 gold or +20 gold per turn is pretty awesome to have and covers maintenance quite well.

5. Logistics (Mercantilism)
Holy crap this policy is pretty awesome. As most folks have pointed out, the move bonus applies for non-military units as well, so Builders which are usually in home territory all the time will always be moving faster. But even for its intended purpose (or what I think is its intended purpose), Logistics is a fine policy for maintaining momentum in capturing cities. This helps a lot with shuffling ranged units around as well, particularly if roads are involved. Once I get this policy, I tend to keep it in my gov't for the rest of the game.

6. New Deal (Suffrage)
The bonuses provided by this policy are insane. +4 housing and +2 amenities is a very worthwhile trade for 8 gold imo. And by that time, one should be making enough money to cover these costs and more anyway, particularly if one has Triangular Trade running.

7. Maritime Industries (Foreign Trade) / Press Gangs (Colonialism) / International Waters (Cold War)
I'm silly and I like naval units too much, though admittedly I like air units more.

8. Charismatic Leader (Political Philosophy) / Gunboat Diplomacy (Totalitarianism)
I've honestly never got Diplomatic League to do anything noticeable for me, so I might as well only have 1 diplomatic policy for the longest time. With that said, gaining more influence points is always a big plus for me. City state bonuses are actually really nice to have, and I also like being suzerain of a city state if it's sitting between me and another civ.

9. Professional Army (Mercenaries)
I like this policy in practice, but I think it's terrible for me to be leaving it in my gov't for too long. Ideally, I think I should only swap in Professional Army when I reach the right technology, mass upgrade my units, then swap it out immediately once I'm satisfied with my army. In practice, it may take multiple turns for me to upgrade my army thoroughly, especially if my army has diverse and requires many different techs for upgrading. Eventually, I tend to forget and leave Professional Army in for the rest of the game.

One thing I've found very strange is that there's no policy for +4 Great Engineer points per turn. The most one will ever get is +2 per turn from Invention (Humanism). Absent of Great Prophets, I think every other great person has a +4 policy. I actually don't use the wildcard slots for generating great people points all the time either.

Bonus points to you if you can figure out what my ideal gov't looks like (no bonus slots).

The ones that you missed are the policies that give 100% bonuses to campuses and commercial districts.

I don't usually use those, but that's all the more reason for me to try in my next game!

I've honestly never got Diplomatic League to do anything noticeable for me.

I found Diplomatic League to be useful in many situations. Most often the situations boil down to "I didn't meet many city-states early on, or I wasn't the first civ to meet many". So when I finally get the chance to go and explore, or decide I need to spread my influence, I use Diplomatic League to make my envoys matter more, since at that point I'll be at 0 envoys for many CS. So I spread my envoys around to make them count as 2, then switch to another policy. Usually I use the wildcard for this if available..

Later on "Containment" fills a similar role, where envoys count as 2 if the CS's suzerain has a different govt.

Very situational, and otherwise I totally agree and run the Charismatic Leader most of the time.

I have always run industrial + commercial adjacency cards, and also the great engineer/merchant/scientist for the wild card
military wise I always liked the minus maintenance one
diplomacy cards are the only section I cared least, because other than the +2 envoy point per turn, none of the other cards are good enough imo (Firaxis need to beef up this section), except maybe the one that let you double your envoy (1 count as 2) if you have different govt type from the suzerain

Anything gold or trade rout related.

Gold per envoys is probably the best diplomacy card. Until the anti-spy techs come online then I usually slot those in because you'll ultimately make more money trading A.I. spies back to them.

I chop 'n' change a fair bit really. Though the 1H per City gets good use early, same with Conscription and Charismatic Leader respectively due to the lack of non situational boosts at those times. Mostly i game the less desired cultural techs a bit to time production with policy changes. You need a level of forward thinking in this game in regards to Policies(well lots of things really :)). Say you build some workers and plop out a couple improvements. It may pay to pop out an extra worker and pre chop/harvest the spots for your districts as well. rather than building a non boosted builder later or waste the harvest yield. Say you mark out your districts but the optimum tiles are 2nd or 3rd ring. It may pay to save up your gold for a bit and buy all the tiles you need at once with Surveying rather than paying full price as you go.

Most Military policies are situational, so global boosts like Conscription, Logistics, Retainers etc get extended use because you aren't going to be building units 24/7 or Encampments or defensive buildings etc. Economic policies are a little more stable but greatly depend on what you are trying to achieve.Timing your Worker Policies is pretty important though. You will always need builders but you can't necessarily devote an Economic spot to them all the time, you need to forward plan and do it in waves. Trade Route, Commerce District/Industrial Zone bonus are pretty strong. Trade routes are just strong in general so you are going to want as many as you can, making the policies strong in the process. You are more likely to have Industrial Zone and Commerce districts in every city than any other district, making their Policies more powerful. Holy Sites Policies are pretty good too, especially with Feed the World

The +1 culture per district card is pretty amazing and always helps to catch up in culture after the early game expansion, especially when I get to 8+ cities.
Housing bonuses can be nice to grow 1-2 pop, then switch back to something else.
One of my favs is the +4gold,+1faith per trade route card. I prefer it to comm hub adjacency bonus because I always have more trade routes than comm hubs.
I also really like the +100% cavalry and naval cards although situational of course.
+100% science from science buildings can be quite amazing as well, especially when you get a few great scientists who buff universities.

Also I was wondering: Do culture cards help with border expansion? Because if they do, I'll probably use them even more because that can save a ton of money.

Cards I find myself using in basically every single game (setting aside the super-early ones):

--The extra builder charges (absolutely essential if you go wide.)
--The unit maintenance reduction (a real lifesaver in the early game, and even in the lategame there's nothing better.)
--The +4 gold/+1 faith per trade route (its predecessor, which gives +2 gold per trade route, comes at a time when usually I don't have enough trade routes to justify it. But this card is usually at least 24 gold/6 faith a turn, often quite a bit more. So great.)
--100% from science buildings (just too much teching power to pass up in this card)

In my first few games I ran the adjacency bonus cards quite a bit, but now I see these as less essential. The industrial zone adjacency bonus is probably the most helpful one.

For diplomatic policies, I usually use the +2 envoy points card and the gold from envoys card. Generally speaking, I find that diplomatic policies are not that great, at least compared to economic policies. In fact, for most of the game, having more than two diplomatic slots is quite useless.

Agoge is huge early game.

Unquestionably a strong policy, but I'm sometimes finding that I've built so many slingers right off the bat that I hardly need it. I can just upgrade three or four Slingers to Archers and that's enough army. But players who go builder earlier and army later will definitely get a lot out of Agoge.

100 % gold from Commercial Hub buildings is massive! The one that cuts your army maintenance cost is also great (not least because it takes a military slot instead of an economic slot), but in terms of giving you the most GPT, I think the Commercial Hub building doubler is best.

100 % gold from Commercial Hub buildings is massive! The one that cuts your army maintenance cost is also great (not least because it takes a military slot instead of an economic slot), but in terms of giving you the most GPT, I think the Commercial Hub building doubler is best.

Especially since each hub gives an extra trader. I'm building these in most my cities because of that

I usually use all the +100% building yields for each district type.
I like the +1 amenity/per garrisoned units in peace time

the other s are more situational: army, settler, builder, wonder production bonuses when needed

in no particular order:

1. Faster unit build of their respective era
2. Cheaper upgrades
3. Reduced maintenance
4. Better builders
5. Something about housing/amenities
6. Anything about monies

Retainers is quietly a really useful military policy. If you've got 8 cities it's basically worth 2 new unique luxuries.

+2 great prophet card is one of the strongest IMO. Rushing Political Theory is always a good move, if you pick up Mysticism just afterwards this makes bagging a religion much much easier. After that I normally use the wildcard for great scientists.

I find insulae/medina quarters to also be very good cards for the extra housing. These are the few I will have running continuously for most of the game.

Retainers is quietly a really useful military policy. If you've got 8 cities it's basically worth 2 new unique luxuries.

I hate that in the modern era this card becomes unavailable in favor of a card that reduces war weariness by a quarter. I'd quite often rather have my retainers!

I find myself using more or less the same cards every game and it is really annoying as the cards has great potential in providing flavor and variety.
It just seems that a lot of the cards are very lackluster and provide very marginal benefits.
Currently using a mod that changes the cards but hopefully the devs will buff the worst cards at some point.
Anyone know if things like card use etc can be logged by the devs?

Machiavellianism. Cheaper spies is good but the real winner is the faster missions. It stacks with a spy promotion that cuts two turns so you do spy missions in 4 turns. I had a game with a max level spy pounding out the steal gold mission every 4 turns. She got me a lot of money.

Top Bottom