What Civ Would you Cut?

If Paraguay is included, I think that Gaspar Rodiguez, linked by @pineappledan would be far superior to Solano Lopez. You seem to have a penchant for wanting to stuff horrible modern dictators and tyrants into the game as leaders, left, right, and (rarely) centre, and I don't think it's, at all, a winning formula for Civ, I'm afraid.
I still think Solano López better then Gaspar Rodriguez. Solano López still praised in Paraguay as a heroic leader.
But, better then both. Is Sepé Tiaraju leading the Guarani people.

I still think Solano López better then Gaspar Rodriguez. Solano López still praised in Paraguay as a heroic leader.
But, better then both. Is Sepé Tiaraju leading the Guarani people.
There isn't much hard information on Sepe Tiaraju, and he seems at least partially mythologized, already. Besides, a leader about whom FAR more is known about his death, and his far better known for it, than his life, is highly sketchy for a Civ leader. Maybe a Great General?

As for Lopez, I think productive leaders should be emphasized over brutal tyrants, even if some historiographical praise lingers. As I said, I can't understand your fascination with modern despots, and why you always suggest them as leaders, and is strangely and disturbingly large numbers, think nothing of it, and say they're such good choices, all the time. You realize you have few compatriots in that viewpoint, right?

I can't understand your fascination with modern despots, and why you always suggest them as leaders
I don't have fascination about despots. What other despots I already suggest?
And about Solano López, he is the only one leader of Paraguay who is well know, all others I need to check in Wikipédia to have an idea who is.
And still today there is in Assunción monuments for Solano López! He is really praised as a national heroe. Not just a despot.

There isn't much hard information on Sepe Tiaraju, and he seems at least partially mythologized, already. Besides, a leader about whom FAR more is known about his death, and his far better known for it, than his life, is highly sketchy for a Civ leader. Maybe a Great General?
Maybe Sepé Tiaraju isn't the most amazing dude in history, but is by far the best option avaiable for Guaranis... Or at least, I don't know any other name to be Guarani leader. And since Guarani is one of the biggest native american nations of Americas, I guess it can appear in civ 7.

I don't have fascination about despots. What other despots I already suggest?
Robert Mugabe, Idi Amin Dada, Kwame Nkrumah, Jean-Bedel Bokassa, Houari Boumédiène, and José Eduardo dos Santos, just to name the ones I remember, off hand.

I'd cut Native America. Native America needs to be multiple civilizations. They have the Central American civs well fleshed out (Aztecs, Incas, etc.), but all Native (shown as North) Americans are plains Indians under the banner of "Native?" Doesn't do the cultures justice. Would be cool to see Inuit civs, along that line.

I'd cut Native America. Native America needs to be multiple civilizations. They have the Central American civs well fleshed out (Aztecs, Incas, etc.), but all Native (shown as North) Americans are plains Indians under the banner of "Native?" Doesn't do the cultures justice. Would be cool to see Inuit civs, along that line.
They had separate Iroquois and Shoshone civs in Civ 5, and the Cree in Civ 6, so they already have.

They had separate Iroquois and Shoshone civs in Civ 5, and the Cree in Civ 6, so they already have.
I like the way the did it in the remake of AOE III where they used the accurate naming that the groups would have used for themselves. I'd like to see them do that with the Native Americans in CIV VI.

I like the way the did it in the remake of AOE III where they used the accurate naming that the groups would have used for themselves. I'd like to see them do that with the Native Americans in CIV VI.
Yes, I'm a big fan of AoE III, myself. The interesting anomaly was, when they remade it from the original Ensemble Studios release on DVD-ROM in the ealry 2000's, they did have Iroquois and Sioux as the terms (those are still the terms used in the tool and options in the custom scenario maker, even though they come out properly renamed in a finished scenario), and the Aztecs were Aztecs, and there was as yet no Inca player, and they all mined as a source of the Coin resurce, like all the European and Asian civ's did. When Forgotten Empires created their licensed remake for Steam, the, "Iroquois," were indeed renamed to the endonymic Haudenasee (a political for their confederation, as ethnically, they were six separate groups with strongly related cultures, languages, and histories), and the Sioux became the endonymic, "Lakota," and they both had, "tribal marketplaces," to replace mining to make Coin to represent the fur trade (but they were still placed beside, tapped, or blocked up, and slowly deleted mines), and Inca, which debatably a endonym for the people or polity (though arguably only for the ruler and his mandate of power - the interpretations of this are still somewhat disputed by historians and archaeologists) were introduced, but the Aztecs, interestingly, enough, kept that much belatedly retroactive exonym, and were not changed to Mexica or Nahua.

Robert Mugabe
About Zimbabwe I prefer the medieval kingdom, despite I don't know a good name to be the leader.
Idi Amin Dada
Actually I admit once suggest Idi Amin Dada to be possible leader of Uganda, but you teach me about Buganda and now I prefer Buganda over Uganda, make the civ more ancient in history make it less controversial.
Kwame Nkrumah
I never sugested him, I think Ghana should appear as Ashante civilization. Kumasi as capital.
Jean-Bedel Bokassa
He isn't a dictator or something like bad... He was a great guy.
But also I never suggest him because I never thought Burkina Fasso can be a civ.
Houari Boumédiène
I don't even know who is he.
José Eduardo dos Santos
About Angola, I think the only leader possible is Queen Jinga, Ginga, Nzinga..... There is some ways to write her name and I don't have idea who is better.

Canada. Just because it was poorly designed.
"Poorly," is an understatement. As a Canadian, I'd say it was a parody based on bad stereotypes, and the attempt to try to portray it as having a stronger French colonial legacy than British one, when that is not, in fact, at all how the country really is (even if that portrayal was more esthetic than mechanical - a lot of people on these forums annoyingly latched onto it).

People latched on to it *as a response to the idea Canada shouldn't be included because it's just part of English/British civilization*. In that context, the French side of Canada really IS important to highlight.

Kind of a missing bit of context here.

People latched on to it *as a response to the idea Canada shouldn't be included because it's just part of English/British civilization*. In that context, the French side of Canada really IS important to highlight.

Kind of a missing bit of context here.
Well, perhaps given that arbitrary marketing aspect, mixed with the ridiculous and parodical elements outside the Anglophone vs. Francophone issue, and since colonial slots is such big point of contention, perhaps get rid of civ's that are specifically based on having been a colony of another civ, and introduce in Civ7 or down the line some revolution and/or Commonwealth/French Community/Dutch Kingdom/Danish Realm-style system for civ's who become very far-flung in a game by exploration, conquest, and settlements on other continents, especially very quickly, regardless of who that civ is.

I never sugested him, I think Ghana should appear as Ashante civilization. Kumasi as capital.
Alright, I could be mistaken on this one.
He isn't a dictator or something like bad... He was a great guy.
But also I never suggest him because I never thought Burkina Fasso can be a civ.
Central African Republic, not Burkina Faso, actually. Or the short-lived, "Central African Empire," as you so proudly touted. But, yes, I'm sorry, he was a dictator, and a rotten one, and no one thnks he was a, "great guy." Even his closest cronies jumped ship on him and showed relief when his predecessor (and successor) David Dacko cane back to power in a coup with French support. He was a brutal and whimsical cult state dictator, like Niyazov, Gaddafi, Mputu, Amin, or the Kim family, he bankrupted the country, causing starvation and economic hardship, with a lavish coronation as, "Emperor," with all the foreign aid from France and HALF the entire national annual budget that was NOT made up for, because absolutely NO foreign leaders, dignitaries, or any others of note, except a few journalists with scathing and mocking coverage, attended, even though he expected something comparable to Elizabeth II's 1953 coronation in attendance. Allegation of horrible abuses and crimes, up to and including him ritually eating the flesh and bathing in the blood of his horribly executed enemies, abounded. And, YES, you did suggest did this monster. You posted his picture and said how, "amazing," a, "modern African Emperor," would in at least two different threads about possible African leaders.
I don't even know who is he.
Now that I recall, it was some new poster whose handle name I can't remember who suggested Boumédiène, but you did say, "yes, it could be great to have Algeria game, I fully agree," (paraphrasing) at the time. I suggested a Barbary Dey, instead, but I recall the thread stopped being responded to and went dormant, thereafter.

You posted his picture and said how, "amazing," a, "modern African Emperor," would in at least two different threads about possible African leaders.
Okay okay I admit I sugested Bokassa as Central African emperor... But if we need to choice only one african dictator to be in civ games, I think Idi Amin Dada better the Bokassa, have a more reconizeble name, and also have a cool move about him. The last emperor of Scotland.

"Poorly," is an understatement. As a Canadian, I'd say it was a parody based on bad stereotypes, and the attempt to try to portray it as having a stronger French colonial legacy than British one, when that is not, in fact, at all how the country really is (even if that portrayal was more esthetic than mechanical - a lot of people on these forums annoyingly latched onto it).
Right, not to mention the Canada music which was awesome.

Okay okay I admit I sugested Bokassa as Central African emperor... But if we need to choice only one african dictator to be in civ games, I think Idi Amin Dada better the Bokassa, have a more reconizeble name, and also have a cool move about him. The last emperor of Scotland.
You realize, the very TITLE of that movie is meant to illustrate how out of touch with reality he was, right? Or do you? Besides, as I've often said, the old Kingdom of Buganda would BE magnitudes better than Amin's delusional and blood-bathed barracks Government that made no positive accomplishment or advancement in a national sense.

Right, not to mention the Canada music which was awesome.
Which was the worst, laziest, and most parodical part of the whole mess. Our national anthem as our theme music motif? Are you serious? Could the devs have given less of a toss to demonstrate even a fraction of the care they took in choosing traditional folk music for any of the other extant civs? If they had so much as talked to a Canadian they could have rattled off a dozen folk tunes that fit alongside old folk melodies like England's 'Scarborough Fair' or Germany's 'Ich hab die Nacht Getraumet'. Instead we got a loud, garish patriotic mashup of two French Canadian patriotic anthems, both of which were at one point the national anthem. Blegh.

Last edited:
Calling "Vive la Canadienne" a national anthem is a stretch (which Wiki is gleefully but wrongfully making). It was a patrioting song, but it never had any official status beyond that, and it was supplanted by O Canada very, very quickly.

A major issue with any sort of traditional Canadian (English or French) is that truly *Canadian* folk song are fairly recent - before that Canadian folk songs were really the folk song of recent immigrants from Scotland, Ireland, England (and, earlier, France), and so they were folk songs of those cultures, not of Canada. Lord Macdonald's Reel is scottish, not Canadian, Alouette is French, not French-Canadian, and so forth. On the other hand, a lot of the more distinctly Canadian songs - are recent enough that we know who wrote them and we know we're still within life of the author + 75 years, the American copyright term. Even if the Canadian copyright is shorter (and that's likely to change), there's no way an american video game company is going to risk using something this recent. That takes a lot of the most recognizable Canadian (French and English) folk mustic out of the options.

Sure, we could have Maple Leafs forever, but that one is even more divisive than any French Canadian anthem, and just as bombastic, so it's hard to see how it would improve anything.

I stridently reject the notion that Canadian identity and culture didn’t exist until some paper was signed in 1867. No one disputes the American-ness of "Oh Shenandoah" just because it was probably composed before 1776

There are plenty of folk songs, nursery rhymes, and work songs that have their origins in Canada. Even Alouette, the song you mentioned, has a disputed origin, and is likely to have originated in Canada, so I don't think it's ruled out. C'est L'Aviron would be another candidate which is explicitly and indisputably set in Canada, written by a French-Canadian fur trapper. But regardless, there are countless Canadian folk encyclopedias and songbooks to reference rather than defaulting to the national anthem, of all things.

Top Bottom