1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Civilization 5 did right

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Truellama, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Jediron

Jediron Prince

a) Rush build/buying 4 horsemen did this exactly for me, pangua map/huge/marathon speed/Emperor difficulty.
    I am more then happy to upload the saved game for you...you can see for yourself that in CIV V this can be done.
    Here is my savegame.
    Here you see the almighty French "Armee" (mind you i have nothing much else...maybe 1 spear somewhere)

B) you are familiar that the horsemen in CIV V is a overpowered unit and that this "horseman strategy is explained in detail here in the forum ?

The two things I love the most about Civ 5 are hexes & the strategic resource implementation. Also, the graphics blend beautifully with the hex style and the intro video is some of the best CGI work I've ever seen in a game.
    Yep, that's pretty much it for me too. City states could have been one, but the way they have don it...meh

2. afa2000

afa2000 Time to die

The problem is AI can't be competitive without these bonus because it hasn't been smartened up (don't know if that's the correct word). And we don't know even if it's possible, as he points it out at number 1. Game is already slow as it is.

Take his example about England (number 4). I think it's a serious problem with scaling.

What about 3 scouts with 1 hp needing more room than one "fully healed" tank ? Can you help me to figure it out ?

3. afa2000

afa2000 Time to die

4. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Except that the truth is exactly opposite.

5. Jediron

Jediron Prince

:woohoo: :sheep: :lol:

6. falconne

falconne meep

Care to back that up? I wonder what the results would be if we picked say 3 or 4 random recent threads with more than 5 pages as see how many unique posters fall in to either side.

7. Jediron

Jediron Prince

To speak as one sheep to the other: Should we BEH about it? :crazyeye:

8. zuraffo

zuraffo Warlord

Because now you don't need infinite army to conquer your neighbours. I have done a total diplomacy-less game where I just killed off anyone on my continent. They sort of just rolled over. I didn't even have 10 units.

9. charon2112

charon2112 King

You don't know me friend-o...I played Civ I and II constantly when they came out. And I mean constantly, I briefly played III and hated it. I didn't play IV when it was released, I got to it late, but have been playing non-stop since.

Sorry if I'm not "hardcore" enough for you. But most of my adult gaming life has been dedicated to Civ.

:rolleyes:

10. afa2000

afa2000 Time to die

I see how dedicated you were, given that civ III was released at 2001 (and you said you briefly played it) and Civ IV was there since 2005, but your first contact was a year ago. It's ok, just think that maybe you're not experienced enough to understand many of the points made by those who have been playing Civ year after year since the first versions came out.

11. DaveGold

DaveGold Emperor

I'm afraid nothing sticks in this game. One of the AI leaders can take an entirely unreasonable dislike to something you're doing, such as building wonders, settling cities, fighting a war, not keeping citizens happy, etc, and then that's it. They'll sever any pacts, won't trade with you, and declare war when they see an opportunity. Occasionally things do work right in CIV5 but you can play again and see all the problems horribly exposed.

12. charon2112

charon2112 King

It's entirely possible. I think Civ players range from very casual to very hardcore...and I'd put myself firmly in the middle. I did have a big break from Civ for several years (no PC)...

13. rav009

rav009 Chieftain

why not declaring war on USA before Aztec conquer it?Try to conquer its cities before Aztec do,then exchange the city of USA with Germany for money