Votes: 30 4.7%
  • Germany

Votes: 53 8.2%
  • Russia

Votes: 20 3.1%
  • Japan

Votes: 47 7.3%

• Total voters
look's like im in the majority with japan right now. i use them the most but i havent played all that may games.

Babylon for me. I'm the "peaceful builder" type. My motto: "I never start wars."

Of course, my second motto is, "Peace through strength."

In this game, if you want to be left alone, you've got to have a military the AI will respect.

America, just because I'm American.;)

Wow, yanks far behind. You'd figure from the posts that Old Abe would be in the lead. I'm not saying anything sinister or anti-american, it just never occurred to me that India (my fav) and a pair of ancient civs like Persia and Bablyon would hold so much of a market share, since many people seem to play the country they are from, and civfanatics has a healthy dose of Americans, Canadians, Quebecers and Brits.

I'm genuinely surprised.

All hail India!

Richard III, Emperor of India

95% of the time I play a random civilization, but if I had to choose the one that makes me happiest when I get it, it would have to be the Greeks, with the French coming in second.

Being religious and scientific, the most spiritual civ of alltime!

I like the Babylonians too for their attributes, but the Bowman stinks- their only drawback. Sure, it's 2-2-1 in the Ancient Age, but it gets lost later on since it upgrades to Longbowman. And if you're the Babylonians, you need good units later.

I play not for what nationality I like in real life, but for how my strategy works within the game. I like peace and scientific domination. IE, I won't start a war, but my tech will be so superior to AI's that if they start a war I'll be more than happy to finish it :)

Therefore, the persians are good for me. Scientific gives THREE free tech advances in a full game (one at the end of each era) plus the extremely cheap libraries/universities/research labs, making it much easier to get high tech. Industrious is just generally nice because of worker speed. In the beginning I'm building Irrigation and Roads so fast I can expand very easily, and I am expecting that toward the end (if I can EVER find some damn coal that is), my railroads will be laid very quickly as well. And that extra shield in large cities doesn't hurt either.

If I picked who I liked, probably the Egyptians. The ancient Egyptians are one of the most interesting cultures in my opinion. I always found them boring until I took a humanities class in college, and our teacher practically spent the whole semester on ancient egypt. Their stories are just fascinating... and the fact that their writing (hieroglyphics) was SO elaborate. A simple shopping list is almost a work of art by itself.

Americans in the lead?!?!

Wow, I tend to view Americans as near the worst civ in the game; their sole saving grace is industriousness, which ain't all that great. Expansionist is not very useful in a lot of situations, and the F-15 is by far the worst UU in the game (since fighters never dogfight, and the game is usually decided by then anyway, even if fighters could dogfight... which they can't... fighters can't dogfight... F-15 can't dogfight... F-15 useless useless useless). hehe, redundant enough for ya?

Japan and Babylon, I am not surprised to see, esp. Japan after the patch (horsemen to samurai, baby!). Babylon, they are the ultimate builder civ...

As for me, I did not vote, since I am going to play (and try to win) with every civ (on regent or monarch). I really am not looking forward to playing as the Americans, though I guess civ choice isn't all THAT important...

- Windwalker

Expansionist civs (like the Americans), now have a much better edge with v1.17f. There is a much greater chance of getting free settlers from goody huts. Having more cities at the very early part of the game is a huge advantage. Now only if the Americans had a more useful UU......

Americans in the lead?!?!

Well, honestly I hadn't been playing the Americans lately. But because of one of the earlier posts about India, Persia, etc. being ahead of them, I guess my patriotism kicked in and I voted for the Americans, anyways :)

I have had the most succes with Persia because of the obvious advantages of industry and science, and perhaps more important the huge boost from the immortal unit. Having that kind of military edge early is hard to ignore, especially if you get stuck next to a warlike neighbor.
However, I am currently playing the Chinese and had quit a bit of fun with the Riders (sorry Gandhi).
I have not played with v1.17 yet, and I don't think I will based on all the bugs it seems to have, so the expansionist Civs still seem rather useless to me. I would like to play as America for the obvious patriotic reasons, but I just don't like the expansionist handicap and the completely useless UU.

Greece is my fave. They reach G.Library fast, and Hoplite defense is equal to Pikemen waaay ahead in tech.
But I'd say Persia has the better deal, with fast science and build, and Immortals. Immortals! Swordsmen are already so killer in clearing out shared continents of unsuspecting neighbours...

I still play Greece always. But why do I have to look like a nerd...

Persia is surely the best of all the civs. They have the most effective combination of attributes and a great UU. I also play with Babylon and the good old Brits. Persia holds nostalgia value for me as my greatest ever civ2 game involved my Persian superpower controlling the entirity of a huge globe!

i really like the aztecs. for one thing, i almost always play as religious. my next three choices are babylon, egypt and japan. but with the aztecs, i feel like i have a big miltary advantage at the start. with the jaguars im not afraid to attackanyoen i see. by the time they areoutdated i have more cities than anyone else, more area, and the advantage holds for the rest of the game. i think the jaguar is the best uu because it comes at a time when there is practically no consequemce to war..

Yeah, Aztex rool.;)
Religious and Militaristic is the best combination(the only combination which exists twice), naturally not for their opponents. The downside are their city names.:confused:
Persian Immortals are nice to have but their other attributes are nothing more than OK.

Interesting poll. I've not voted as I have several favourite Civs. Just to take a different slant on this I've looked at the results after 54 votes and worked out players' preferences for traits. These are the numbers :-

Religious 28, Industrious 26, Science 20, Expansion 13, Military 12, Commerce 9.

On this basis there's a very clear preference for Rel/Ind (Egypt). Science with either of those 2 gives Persians or Babs. Obviously people might chose a Civ for reasons other than traits (UU or just because they are from a particular country.) I think the American vote is very skewed. It's not a good Civ(UU too late and Expansionism is weak) but a number of patriotic players obviously choose them anyway. Without the American vote the numbers are :-

Religious 28, Industrious 18, Science 20, Expansion 5, Military 12, Commerce 9.

Although I don't like Commerce much myself I'm surprised to find that few other players seem to value this. Military is also lower than I would have expected. Expansionism can be good on huge maps and might now be more powerful post 1.17 patch. My own favourite Civs are normally Religious plus one other - Indians (Comm/Rel the only one I've not tried).

The worst combination must be Comm/Exp which is the unfortunate English who are also saddled with the worst UU! What have you Firaxians got against us English! :)

Conclusion - Religion rocks and goes well with Industry or Science.

I haven't played much. Never finished. Am not at 1500 AD for my first time.

With that said, I like the Aztecs. Jaguar Warrior is like a free Settler with an ax o defend himself.

Additionally, when most would think the Jag ineffective after 1200AD, I still make them on my new out of the way cities (before being connected to real resources) for 3 reasons.

Barbarian assault. Grow to elite.

AI assault, GL candidates.

Improvement pillaging. This combined with 2 space movement is cool.

As I said, I am new and haven't progressed beyond 1500 and my level of play is only Cheiftan. I am going to play this thru (I am WAY ahead. It is too easy, but I am seeing it thru) at cheiftan skill level and learn interface before I up the skill level.

Once you play industrious, you can't go back. 24 bloody turns to clear a jungle? Getting your road network built early gets your settlers to the right spots faster and gets more luxuries into your cities faster. There is no fear in dropping a city in the middle of the jungle or with nothing but plains in sight. Clear the jungle once you've stopped expanding, and some of your workers are looking for something to do, and irrigation and rail on a plain makes for a usuable square later in the game.

Anyone who wants the benefits of a Democracy buts wants to wage war needs the ability to switch to Communism on a dime. Having 10 turns of Anarchy just to wage a war is too expensive, so the Religious trait is almost a must. Half price temples in the early game also have a huge effect on hapiness and cultural expansion early on.

Industrious + Religious = Egpyt, who are currently leading the poll as I type this. I think if you're a builder, you choose Egypt, if you're a fighter, you choose Aztec/japs.

Top Bottom