1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Difficulty do you play on (most of the time)?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by black213, Nov 3, 2010.

?

CIV V Difficulty that you play on?

1. Settler

1.1%
  2. Chieftain

0.4%
  3. Warlord

4.5%
  4. Prince

21.8%
  5. King

23.1%
  6. Emperor

21.8%
  7. Immortal

17.5%
  8. Deity

9.7%
  1. Sadan01

Sadan01 Conical Flask

When I was playing Civ V, I quickly moved up to Deity. Immortal was too easy in a lot of respects. The AI absolutely sucks in Civ V.

2. black213

black213 Chieftain

Heh, I can't understand how people call difficulties up from Emperor easy. On Emperor I get my ass beaten in the classical/medieval era.

3. biohazard72

biohazard72 Chieftain

Deity. Love trying out different strategies at the hardest level.

4. Antarion

Antarion Chieftain

i want the same, but for me thats emperor level. at the moment im a bit disappointed, because i cant loose anymore on this level except i do a big mistake :confused:

5. MickyLuv

MickyLuv Chieftain

First game was a space victory with the Egyptians on Prince. Switched to king and have a cultural victory with India and will complete a domination win with Alex tonight.

I voted King but in the next game or two I'll crank it to Emperor.

6. boehj

boehj runnin' tings

I play Emperor. I don't really ever lose at this difficulty but I know my game isn't up to Immortal standard just yet. A few more weeks and I might have the right balance to make the move up.

7. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Chieftain

I play Emperor. If I move up to immortal, I might have to wage war earlier and more often, which is just a little bit too much for me. Rather play a game with a decent mix of war and development.

8. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

Immortal, but I cant slap the AI around because there always seems to be a Germany that takes an entire continent and begins swallowing another one, added to the fact that I cant stand building trading posts or spamming cities

9. ezysquire

ezysquire Chieftain

The double settler start for ai on deity commits me to an extremely aggressive strategy. i prefer to have choices about level of aggression so immortal is the best level of difficulty.

10. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

I've been making gradual progress. Prince first year-ish of IV, then Monarch, and finally Emperor near the end. I started with Emperor in V, and just recently moved up to Immortal. It's rather fun!

The best part about V is you don't have the insane good and bad luck of IV. Start locations used to vary wildly in power, now they do a much better job of balancing resources and terrain (though the balance mods help a lot with that).

I think I played at a middling difficulty in Civ II, and Transcend in Alpha Centauri. SMAC was probably the easiest of the Civ games, but it was just so much fun it made up for it. :D

11. basta

basta Chieftain

After some very enjoyable early trouncings at lower levels, I tried Emperor and found it was shockingly easy to win (too easy IMO), so I've been at Immortal for the last few weeks.

As others here have said, it's a huge jump in difficulty and really is a challenge. I find that my earlier dissatisfaction with the game has vanished, because now I want to win--more basic it doesn't get, but sure keeps you interested.

I've started dozens of games but only had a very few wins, but I hate the ICS strategy (exploit) and prefer playing the game as it was designed: puppeting and annexing cities rather than razing them, so this slows me down. If I see the AI obviously/ridiculously cheating by spamming units, turbo-teching, or going ICS, I scrap the game; I don't see the "fun" in that.

Start position is crucial at Immortal, and you can tell after 30 or so turns whether the game will be worth playing or an AI steamroller. I play std continents or pangea; either way, from my experience you've got to start at 1/3 above or below center to have the possibility of a good, "fair-ish" game because you'll be in a solid position to block the breakout AI. Then you can sit back and enjoy 100+ turns of AI unit spam ;)

12. smellymummy

smellymummy Chieftain

emperor, i dont mind the bonuses the ai gets at that level, but anything higher just seems over the top

13. Cool Music Guy

Cool Music Guy Chieftain

I am currently playing on Prince, because I don't want the AI to have any unfair advantages, while I am still learning the new game.

14. HorribleHarald

HorribleHarald Chieftain

King almost always. I like Civ 4 monarch level because it's not too easy and I can beat rivals still, so it's heritage from there.

15. Cywil

Cywil Chieftain

definitely deity

16. Doskias51

Doskias51 Chieftain

I play King most of the time although lately I have been playing the harder difficulties for a challenge.

17. Mzrokks

Mzrokks Rammy VS the World

Prince please. :king:

18. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Chieftain

Unsurprised to find a most predictable bell curve in this poll.

19. LyricalAssassin

LyricalAssassin Chieftain

I typically play on King, but I've been thinking of moving up a level. While I dislike the cruddy AI, I dislike bonuses even more. I just downloaded the Communitas AI mod in an attempt to make the computer better at playing the game, because anybody can win when they start with extra settlers, warriors, and workers. I want skill, not cheating.

20. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

Emperor ATM. Right now I always win on King.