1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think could be added to the game?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by monotonous, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

^ brilliant idea! :D

2. Kirejara

Kirejara Chieftain

One of the few things I miss from Civ2 is the possibility for a nation to split into two nations, when its capital is captured or destroyed (Example: the city of Rome is captured and the unhappy part of the Roman Empire declared themself the Byzantine Empire under the rule of Empress Theodora).

This would be a good thing when it happens to the KI, but could drive a player into madness, if it happens to his or her empire. ;)

But as someone has written befor that is impossible to made without the source.

3. rysmiel

rysmiel Chieftain

What I would like that's actually feasible within the editor we have would probably boll down to cherrypicking things I've most liked from various mods (tech trees as complex as DyP/RaR, something like the Great Cultural Person and reverse-capture-the-flag mechanics from CCM, resource distribution and acquisition through the tech tree something like TETurkhan's Test of Time, and I am forgetting off the top of my head which mod it is that represents the Dark Ages by obsoleting a whole bunch of improvements in ways that smack you down hard) without changing any of the mechanics that actually strike me as just fine (no autogeneration of units, no civilisation or government-specific techs or units, corruption as is is just fine if you throw in more corruption-reducing buildings and more Forbidden-Palace equivalents) and one of these years I am probably going to implement it when I am between jobs.

What I would like in an ideal world where I could pick any feature from any Civ version ever would add onto that by drawing from Civ 2(air units that behave like actual units, none of this "mission" baloney; trade that involves making actual physical caravans and moving them from source to destination; tile improvements that stack, like farming on top of irrigation, but with several iterations of improved mines, for example, and the late-game ability to terraform any tile type into any other), Call to Power (layered maps with undersea and space development as the techs arrive, making for new expansion phases; more kinds of soft/indirect attack), Civ 4 (Corporations, and probably some variation on the religion mechanic), and Civ V(quantitative resources); because what I ideally want from a Civ-type game is something that will on a medium-large map last me about 200 hours of gameplay on a continually changing strategic environment and that is very much geared toward winning at a logistical level, requiring attention towards happiness and culture and science and economics and military and diplomacy and other elements equally, where every problem can ultimately be mastered and solved, and very much not supportive of small-scale tactical combat (which there are dozens of games that do perfectly well already) or towards being winnaible by any purely military approach (because Civ is not Risk.) I love micromanagement, it's most of the joy of the game.

There are a few things that I would hope might be relatively simple with source code access - I'd love to be able to tweak the enslave possibility for Privateers, for example - and others I'm not sure any Civ game has quite got right yet (like hovercraft, or amphibious units capable of moving on land or shallow sea squares only.)