What do you think could be added to the game?

monotonous

Chieftain
Hey guys :) I have been looking at the old threads and there were many interesting discussions about this game in the past but not too many recently. So what do you want to add to this game? I'm a peaceful builder in nature, so I always wanted to see more elements on this aspect. These are what I think would be good additions:

Wonders -
Olympic - +3 culture. Enable Olympic event, must have at least eight stadiums. Country who built this wonder gets to host the first Olympic. (Olympics are held every four turns, the holding country receive extra commerce over the next four turns)

Small Wonder -
Entrepreneurship - Must have 10 factories and 10 stock exchanges, must under democracy (good way to buff democracy xD), enable a new leader: Entrepreneur

City Improvement -
Stadium - +1 happy face +1 commerce +1 culture
Agricultural Machinery - Double the city's food production
Corporation - +2 commerce + 2 shield +1 culture (only the one built by the entrepreneur create culture). Can only be built by an entrepreneur or another corporation. After five turns, another corporation will be automatically built in a random city. After 50 turns, Corporation can be built in another country. A city can have multiple corporations.

Tech -
Transportation - Cities now can transport food or shield in exchange of commerce with another city (edit: if they were connected by railroad). (I think this one is the most important and realistic)

New Leader -
Entrepreneur - After Entrepreneurship was built, every turn there's a small chance an entrepreneur might born. Entrepreneur can build a corporation in its city.

New Event -
Immigration - Every turn there's a small chance an unhappy citizen will move to another democratic country with higher culture or gdp per capita.

Hey guys :) I have been looking at the old threads and there were many interesting discussions about this game in the past but not too many recently. So what do you want to add to this game? I'm a peaceful builder in nature, so I always wanted to see more elements on this aspect. These are what I think would be good additions:

Wonders -
Olympic - +3 culture. Enable Olympic event, must have at least eight stadiums. Country who built this wonder gets to host the first Olympic. (Olympic holds every four turns, the holding country receive extra commerce over the next four turns)

Small Wonder -
Entrepreneurship - Must have 10 factories and 10 stock exchanges, must under democracy (good way to buff democracy xD), enable a new leader: Entrepreneur

City Improvement -
Stadium - +1 happy face +1 commerce +1 culture
Corporation - +2 commerce + 2 shield +1 culture (only the one built by the entrepreneur create culture). Can only be built by an entrepreneur or another corporation. After five turns, another corporation will be automatically built in a random city. After 50 turns, Corporation can be built in another country. A city can have multiple corporations.

Tech -
Transportation - Cities now can transport food or shield in exchange of commerce. (I think this one is the most important and realistic)

New Leader -
Entrepreneur - After Entrepreneurship was built, every turn there's a small chance an entrepreneur might born. Entrepreneur can build a corporation in its city.

New Event -
Immigration - Every turn there's a small chance an unhappy citizen will move to another democratic country with higher culture or gdp per capita.

Hmm, some of what you are looking for can be done by modifying the game, but maybe without all of your desired effects. The Olympic Wonder would not be that hard to add, with most of your effects. The same would hold true for the Entrepreneur Small Wonder.

Right now, for increasing food production, as long as it is on or near the coast, you can boost that by using the Harbor, Commercial Dock, Market Place, Coast Fortification, along with the Granary to increase food yields. However, you do have to have Coast within the city radius.

The Transportation of food and Emigration would require access to the source code.

I'd like the ability to have more fine-grained effects. For example, having buildings that give +20% science instead of +50%, or +40% production instead of increments of 25%. Civ4 allows that, and I think it allows for a more nuanced game. A 50% bonus is pretty big.

I think the bonus-against-certain-units aspect of Civ4 (such as pikemen having +100% against mounted units) is also a good idea, though not perfectly implemented in Civ4. I think the biggest problem with it in Civ4 is that the strongest defender always defends. Implemented differently, so the strongest defender only had a higher chance (but not guarantee) of defending, I think it would work better, and favor the defender less. Another combat change I'd like to see is the ability to "reserve" certain units, and have them defend last. An Elite Swordsman may have the best chance of winning, but if I'm leader-fishing (or they're attacking with Longbows), I'd rather reserve the Swordsman and have my regular Spearmen defend the city.

More complex diplomacy, too. For example, mutual protection pacts that are actual protection pacts, rather than pacts where you can drag your friend into an offensive war. Also, AIs that remember past transgressions better. In some areas they do - such as being very reluctant to sign rights of passage if you declared war on them while having a right of passage and units in their borders in the past, and being much less likely to vote for you in the UN if you break deals often. However, the AI doesn't seem to have any sense of rivalry. They don't go to war with you for breaking deals in the past, or betraying their friends, etc. On the plus side, I like that Civ3 allows per-turn deals for one-time items (such as 75 GPT for a technology), and I like that unlike Civ4, your relations with AIs can't be easily trashed for being peaceful and turning down requests to go to war.

I like some of your ideas. Food production bonuses would be nice. The transportation idea, from what I've heard, is similar to Civ2 caravans. Immigration is present in some Civ4 mods, although I'm not sure if it's really a good idea, since it's somewhat unfun if you have emigrants (though it might be a good way to make culture more important). Entrepreneurship sounds similar to Civ4's corporations, though without the negative effects that can make them unfun in Civ4.

I would like to have two naval addings:

- if you capture a city with ships in it, it would be nice to have 50% chance to capture them (like you allready do with cannons).

- the option to let captured... ehm... liberated ships by Privateers, Man-O-War and others to keep their former shiptype (and not turn them into completly other ships).

Let's see...

1) The ability to sell/buy units to/from other civs

2) As in Civ V, the ability to raise a dead civ by taking one of its defeated cities

3) As in Civ IV, the ability to base units in an ally's cities

4) Removing the effect that destroys coastal fotresses

5) Some sort of relationship loyalty factor, maybe based on time, so MPPs aren't broken at a whim - and while I'm on the topic, a reverse to the factor so that as a massive civ, I'm not paying huge somes of gold to ragbag civs for a MPP.

6) A little more respect for borders when other civs aren't planning on an invasion, but merely passing through.

7) A scaling effect for submarine stealth, as opposed to the simple 'can see invisible' so there is a % chance to remain invisible, and a way to improve a sub's stealth - maybe as the vessel gains combat ranks - and conversely a way to improve sub detection.

8) Real satellites, that can give you 'real time' views of areas, and can be moved slowly, and possibly which can also be targeted by missiles - although as I write this I realize this is possible with the editor, isn't it - except that enemies units like destroyers could attack it. Maybe I'll look into this a bit. Could stealth work for something like this? Or does stealth only oppose aa attacks?

9) Colonies can act as though they have harbors

10) A way to rename enemy cities in-game. If this is already possible, and it may well be, please let me know how. It will save me the trouble of having to conquer a dozen Russian cities just to rename them (I goofed with the scenario creation and forgot to add names).

11) More capability with AI personalities, like making Japan really hate China and Korea, without setting them as perma opponents.

Let's see...

1) The ability to sell/buy units to/from other civs

IIRC this could be done in Civ 2, it was a great feature when at war side by side with an ally, you could give some units to them or buy it. But I'm not sure about that, it was a long time ago.

I miss this in Civ 3.

Let's see...

2) As in Civ V, the ability to raise a dead civ by taking one of its defeated cities

You do that by setting "Respawn AI players" in the start game menu.

9) Colonies can act as though they have harbors

I assume what you mean here is that you would like a Harbor as soon as you establish a new colony/city on the coast. There is a couple of different ways that you could do this with the existing editor.

One is to have a specific colony transport that transports your colonist/settler, workers, and military units, and also has a high cost in shields, sufficient on being disbanded to yield enough shields to immediately build a Harbor. As soon as your city is established, begin building the Harbor and then disband the transport, thereby getting the harbor very quickly.

The second way would be to set up a separate Colonial Harbor in the editor, that allows Water Trade, but does not produce Veteran naval units nor add +1 food in the water, and have that be a very low cost affair, so it can be either built quickly or rushed easily. You could call it a Roadstead, which is the term used for a primitive port where unloading is done by small boats or lighters, without a dock. Have that as the building requirement for your standard Harbor, which would add Veteran naval units and the +1 food in the water.

A third way would be to have a Great Wonder, such as the Great Lighthouse, put a Harbor in every city. The problem there is that it will put a Harbor in EVERY CITY, whether it is on the coast or not. This would work best with custom maps, as you could play with your starting position and add some resource requirements for the Wonder. It looks like if you use Quintillus' editor, you could do this with a Small Wonder, which would allow every civilization to build it, but I have not tested that as yet.

10) A way to rename enemy cities in-game. If this is already possible, and it may well be, please let me know how. It will save me the trouble of having to conquer a dozen Russian cities just to rename them (I goofed with the scenario creation and forgot to add names).

To do this, you right-click on the city's name, and then scroll down in the resulting menu to "Rename City". Click on that and type in the new city name.

11) More capability with AI personalities, like making Japan really hate China and Korea, without setting them as perma opponents.

You might be able to do some of this in the editor, through using Flavor, but that is an area that I have not worked with. You might want to ask this question in the Creation and Customization forum.

You do that by setting "Respawn AI players" in the start game menu.

I thought this only worked once. I always keep it flagged. There are limitations on it I am certain. Has to be area left for the new city, city cap not reached, maybe even a time limit from beginning of the game.

With the harbor thing, I meant actual colonies, not cities. I want a way around having to build a city to get a resource that is across an ocean or on an island.

The name thing is something I never knew. I'm going to give it a try! Good tip! Thanks.

To do this, you right-click on the city's name, and then scroll down in the resulting menu to "Rename City". Click on that and type in the new city name.

As far as I know, this only works for cities of your own civilisation, not for cities owned by foreign civilisations.

For such an effect you can use the flag "city growth +2 (instead of +1) in the editor. As this flag is only available for Great or Small Wonders (GWs or SWs), you have to use two buildings for the effect and it only works for one civ. Set a GW or SW with that flag to a tech, that nobody can have and create another GW that gives such an SW/GW to every city of that civ. With 31 GWs, so every civ can have one of these wonders (and civ-specific buildings as perequisites), this effect could be achieved for every civ in the game -but I don´t think this is worth that effort.

I thought this only worked once. I always keep it flagged. There are limitations on it I am certain. Has to be area left for the new city, city cap not reached, maybe even a time limit from beginning of the game.

With the harbor thing, I meant actual colonies, not cities. I want a way around having to build a city to get a resource that is across an ocean or on an island.

The name thing is something I never knew. I'm going to give it a try! Good tip! Thanks.

I missed the enemy cities in midgame. That will not be possible without someway of accessing the .SAV file map. I checked, and Quintillus' latest editor version will not access the map, and to access a .SAV file, it has to have custom rules.

As for giving the colonies harbors, you would have to be able to access the source code. I am not sure if hooking up a colony to an airfield would work to solve the problem, as I have never tried that.

It is a minor thing, but the fact that the AI can walk through your land with impunity and you can't even wander across their border without them freaking out really bugs me.

In the mod CCM there are land units that act like Privateers; they can attack the AI without starting a war.

Roman settler pair taking a stroll past your capital and making traffic jams? :trouble: Let these guys (Enslavers in CCM) handle them. One or two attacks and the traffic jam is gone and you have two new slaves and no war! :smug:

This is a very satisfying solution to this problem (which should not be a problem). And is a better than option than Open Borders in Civ4 (well, to me anyway).

Without a doubt, the single biggest annoyance in this game has to be corruption. It's already been mentioned a few times on this thread already and not many people have posted yet.

The ideal Unit to end this fiasco of a mechanic would have to be an actual Military Police Unit. I think it's a bit of a joke when you fill a not very distant city with your best Units, only to still have the same corruption levels as if you'd manned it with three 2-bar Warrior Units.

At the early stages, corruption should be reduced by the quality of the Military Police you have stationed there and then, once Espionage has been discovered you should have a specific Anti-Corruption Unit, such as an FBI, MI5 or SS or whatever agent unit (title related to the name of the civ specifics) which would cost more than the average Production Shields but each one in a City, up to a maximum, would reduce Corruption by a significant percentage - Say 40% for the first, 60% for the second and 75% for the third, as an off the top of my head example.

They have no fighting power or building power, like Explorers, but offer a significant bonus to anyone who can mass-produce them and also, then, reduce the temptation to tie-up the best (ie: most loyal) Units in defensive Military Police positions (if there was a system where the better a unit, the better it dealt with Corruption).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made a Twilight Zone Series 1 review - watch it here, then troll me in the comments section!

http://youtu.be/e8Qns0PxowI

:goodjob: or :confused: or :sad: - you decide!

... such as an FBI, MI5 or SS or whatever agent unit (title related to the name of the civ specifics) which would cost more than the average Production Shields but each one in a City, up to a maximum, would reduce Corruption by a significant percentage - Say 40% for the first, 60% for the second and 75% for the third, as an off the top of my head example.
Ouch!!! Let us please name this unit simply "Police Officer".

SS was never an anti-corruption, espionage or police unit. It was created for terror and murder only. :mad:

Back to topic: Corruption can be lowered in the editor.

Also what about a great wonder called "Scotland Yard", which gives you a police station in every city. I have done it in my game and it is quite effective. ;)

Yes, I know the SS are different to most other nation's versions, but I used it just so people had a good mental image of the 'kind of thing' I was talking about.

Police Stations are pretty ineffective. Not totally ineffective, but percentage-wise, for the hassle of making them and the lateness of their arrival (just as the Courthouse is too expensive for what it is at the time of its availability) they tend to be more of a luxury than a game-changer for all but the most specific of scenarios. The Wonder for them sounds cool though, but would that be an 'every City' Wonder, or just an 'on your Continent' Wonder?

'Every City' would be pretty cool, I agree, but it still wouldn't completely remove island frustration, and it does arrive quite late for Forbidden Palace on a new island type scenarios.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made a Twilight Zone Series 1 review - watch it here, then troll me in the comments section!

http://youtu.be/e8Qns0PxowI

or or - you decide!

Courthouse is too expensive for what it is? I disagree. While it is a bit expensive for the Ancient Age, in mid-corruption cities (somewhere around 50%) I find it to be worth it. When it takes a 50% corrupt city and makes it a 25% corrupt city, that makes a big difference. Pays off in 40 turns if it had 8 shields pre-corruption - and that's not counting the commerce benefit. It's not always the best investment, but it's usually a good one. Although it is really those mid-corruption towns where courthouses are best.

Police stations, yeah, they're very situational. I rarely use them. I believe I did use them significantly in one game where I played as Soviet Russia several years ago - after going Communist, with a big empire, I needed all the corruption-fighting I could get. And I'm actually using them in a current game, but that's an unusual case where I'm doing everything I can to maximize production in my best cities, and money is no object.

Corruption is an area where a better solution would be nice. At the very least, it would be nice if the game would automatically assign Civil Engineers and Police Officers.

The AI could use some pointers when it comes to waging war. Sometimes the AI will be at war with my neighbor, and they will send their attacking force through my territory. They will pass by 10 unguarded cities, and 10 more that have a spearman as the only garrison. My cities are defended lightly, and they have more infrastructure than the cities they are after.

The AI just doesn't know how to attack. They will have an attacking force of 100 units, but instead of making them into a super stack and going for the nearest city, they will trickle into my territory every turn in stacks of 20. Just enough time for me to kill them! Even if the stacks reach one of my cities, all I have to do is garrison a couple of infantry there, and the AI will move their stack to an "unguarded" city 3 tiles away, apparently unaware of the fact that I have railroads and will just move my infantry there.

Not to mention the AI only uses artillery for defense.

My biggest problem waging war is dealing with all the war weariness from killing 20 enemy troops every turn.

Also, rep trashing is too easy. Each civ keeps a record of rep, so in non-diplomatic games I make a point to trash my rep with each civ. For example: I trashed my rep with Maya. I sign Aztec to military alliance against Maya, I get all of Aztec's tech for GPT, then I declare war on Aztec. Repeat with every civ. Even when my rep is trashed with everyone, I give them GPT for their techs in a peace treaty, then declare war on them immediately. It makes research and espionage pointless at times.

Why would you want to trash your rep intentionally?

First I want to apologize for talking about what I don't like about the game when in fact this thread is supposed to be about should be added to the game.

I do the super rep trash when I'm way behind in tech, or maybe another civ has a lot of gold laying around. Unfortunately this all but ends the possibility of diplomacy victory, so it's a last resort.

As to what should be added, and forgive me if this has already been mentioned, more treaties. Trade treaties for gpt, research treaties for beakers. Once a treaty is in place a city could build trade goods or laboratory equipment to multiply the effect.

An aspect like religion would provide the player with more choices.

Top Bottom