What game mechanics would you like to see included in Civ7?

What game mechanics would you like to see included in Civ7?

• Appeal, seaside resorts and national parks

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Archeology/Archaeological Sites

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Barbarian clans

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Colonialism

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Corporations/Guilds, global market and economic crises

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Criminality/Banditry

• Cultural identity/Nationality

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Districts

• Energy/Pollution

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Eurekas and inspirations

• Exhaustible natural resources

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Future Era

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Governors/Ministers

• Heath, pests and diseases

• Ideologies, civil wars and revolutions

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Loyalty

• Migration movements

• Minor civilizations (larger than city-states and smaller than playable civilizations)

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • More types of cultural expressions: festivals, dances, cooking, folklore...

• Natural disasters

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Navigable rivers

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Neolithic Era

• New types of Great People: Statesmen, Philosophers, Diplomats and Entertainers...

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Policy cards

• Random events

• Religious reforms and religious syncretism

• Secret societies

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Social policies

• Tourism

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Vassal states/Puppet cities

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

Xandinho

Deity
Well, by all indications, Civ7 is on the way and maybe it won't take long to be officially announced. This poll is for us to know which game mechanics are the most popular. I've selected the main mechanics that have appeared in recent Civ games and some others that have been talked about a lot here. Also, I didn't include in the poll mechanics that have appeared in the last three editions of the game (such as religion, world congress, espionage...) because we have to admit that these elements are very unlikely to be excluded from the game - some of them, like religion, became a central part of the game. I felt free not to put City-States in the poll because they are extremely popular and everything indicates that they are here to stay.
Feel free to suggest any mechanic that I forgot to put in the poll.

Last edited:
Migration movements, civil wars, and the advanced economies (corporations, guilds, markets, etc.) seem like good expansion material. I really hope the big "headline" features will be merging barbarians and city-states into minor civs, ethnic/cultural and religious identity for population, and an overhauled religious system. Not listed here, but expanded diplomacy would also be nice--Civ5 and Civ6 are both lacking in the diplomacy front. I'd like to see Tourism left behind with a new approach to the Culture Victory, though I don't have a specific suggestion there. I think it almost goes without saying that districts will return.

I'd like to see Tourism left behind with a new approach to the Culture Victory, though I don't have a specific suggestion there. I think it almost goes without saying that districts will return.
I'd personally like to fold in religion under a culture victory, maybe alongside tourism, considering religions have always been a big part of a civilization's culture and identity.

Anyways I voted for my top 5 which is:
Barbarian clans- Implement tribal villages as well.
Corporations/Guilds
Cultural Identity/Nationality
Districts-but make them not as disjointed looking from the cities.
Health/Diseases- This could replace housing and natural disasters or be an addition.

Honorable mentions:
Neolithic Era-not sure if this should be in a standard game, or an optional mode. Either way I'd want it different to Humankind to where you still pick the civ before you start the game.
Tourism- I feel after two iterations it's here to stay so I didn't feel compelled to vote for it.
Religious reforms and schisms-I'd like this but not sure how to implement it. My idea was after all religions have been founded, and you did not originally found one, you could modify an existing one if it is the majority in your cities? :dunno:

I just wanted to say, the idea for this thread is great but why did you limit us to only 12 options? I'd choose like 15 and with this limitation I have to cut off minor features which I'd nonetheless like to see and which wouldn't collide with major mechanics (due to their small size not really taking much dev resources)...

Anyway, my reasoning
- I voted for Archeology, since this has always been awesome idea
- I voted for Barbarian Clans and Minor Factions, with a caveat that I think the entire concept of non - major - civs - societies should be turned into a massive mechanic with several categories of such "NPCs", including the ability for them to turn into major civs (not present already on the map).
- I voted for Colonialism, Corporations..., Cultural identity, Ideologies and revolutions, Migrations, Vassal States and Religions Deeper in Any Way, since the game really needs depth in all those areas, and you need heavy artillery like that to deal with the boring endgame.
- I voted for Random Events, becsuse they really spice up (or disturb) the game and introduce flavour, with the caveat that I'd like them to be impactful and build around choices and dilemmas, unlike civ4 "you are suddenly screwed for no reason and no escape lmao" and humankind's "you choose between one pathetic sum of money and other insignificant prize".
- I didn't vote for Health and Disasters, since historically speakimg they were either insignificant in the larger perspective or crippling civilizations with absolutely no ability to prevent them whatsoever, so what'a the point of mechanics which are either unimportant or frustrating?
- I didn't vote for Seaside Resorts and Crime, since these are relatively minor affairs, not that important at the empire building level. I also have problems with Pollution and Tourism, since these have been only relevant for like past 50 years or so, do we need to have them in the
millenia long empire building game?
- I didn't vote for Loyalty, Eurekas, Governors and Secret Societies since these are all terrible ideas in practice and fail their stated goals
- Neolithic Era is a pointless filler in games of this scale, see: Humankind

Last edited:
Now I finally had time to justify my choices:

-Archeology/Archaeological Sites: something fun to have at the end of the game and I'd keep in future editions of the game.
-Barbarian clans: can be fun if well implemented. I'd particularly like each clan to have its own identity (peaceful or aggressive) that could later develop into city-states depending on the players' interaction with them.
-Corporations/Guilds, global market and economic crises: perhaps one of the most requested mechanics around here. Also, corporations can be quite interesting for the late game. Please, bring them on with an Economic Victory mechanic.
-Cultural identity/Nationality: perhaps the substitute for loyalty? A mechanic of multicultural and multiethnic empires is must for the game.
-Districts: they're fun, but I wish they were more visually connected to each other.
-Ideologies, civil wars and revolutions: completely necessary for the game. Absolutely one of the best things about Civ5 that was taken from Civ6, making the late game quite boring right now.
-Minor civilizations: imo, the game needs a level between playable civilizations and city-states. Here would be great civilizations that were not included as playable civs. It's kind of weird that big empires come into play just like a city-state.
-Natural disasters: the best thing implemented in GS and one of the best things about Civ6 overall. Natural disasters add a unique flavor to the game and map. However, please, take out Global Warming. The way weather changes are represented in the game is deplorable - it happens too early, effects are overly disastrous, the AI isn't able to handle it, and lastly, those flood barriers are horrible on the map.
-Policy cards: I like this, but there are a lot of things here that should be rethought and improved.
-Random events: if implemented well, it can make the game a lot more fun, especially for the late game.
-Religious reforms and religious syncretism: religion as a whole needs further detailing and deepening.
-Vassal states/Puppet cities: high need for the game. I'd argue that Domination Victory should not be based on conquering other capitals, but making all the world's empires your vassal states.

Honorable mentions:

-Appeal, seaside resorts and national parks: good idea but poorly implemented. Appeal is a loose end that interacts little with other mechanics and national parks have very strict rules.
-Energy/Pollution: energy can be interesting if it comes as something capable of bringing about great transformations in the match. In Civ6, energy is totally bland and you can completely ignore it without taking major damage.
-Eurekas and inspirations: they seem to be unpopular given the poll results so far. I particularly like them.
-Heath, pests and diseases: it might be interesting, but I don't think it's a high need for the game.
-Migration movements: can be fun, especially if aligned with economic crises, natural disasters and civil wars.
-More types of cultural expressions: these are things I'd like to see in the game, but difficult to implement.
-Navigable rivers: it would make city building more fun, as well as create more interactions with the map.
-New types of Great People: at least Great Statesmen and Great Philosophers would be welcome.
-Tourism: should return, but not as the main fuel for the Cultural Victory, but as a modifier of cultural influence of your empire.

Mechanics I forgot to put in the poll:

-Agendas: I don't particularly like this. It makes leaders act like fools obsessed with something.
-Emergencies: they are cool, but their prizes should be more impactful.
-Housing: almost nothing impactful. I always forget this is in the game.

I would like to see slavery be portraited in this game.
The mecanic I wonder work as that, just one civ (Dahomey) could sell people of it's own cities as an unique ability.
I know the slavery is so ancient as humanity, but was in modern age, with triangular atlantic slave trade, it's reach it's peak. So that's why I think an african kingdom of modern age as Dahomey should have the responsibility to make the players think about slavery.
Maybe should be cool also a scenario with other West African kingdoms as Mali, Ashante, Benin and Oyo also with this ability, but just for scenario propose.

Three things, all dynamic:

- a dynamic map: Give me Forests spreading and Rivers changing course. Give me resources spreading through the world and mines running dry. Give me a Ocean that doesn't consist of tiles (since well, water is water).
- a dynamic population: My people should start trading on their own, religion should spread and the priests should demand stuff of me. Can I keep them from declaring war on the civ next door that I need for my cultural victory?
- a dynamic late game: The Industrial Revolution should be felt. The hockey stick and globalization is there after all - make me change course in the final eras if needed.

Also you can add under Nr 2 and Nr 3 a dynamic civilization. The boni should develop over the game and allow for catch-up dynamics.

I would like to see slavery be portraited in this game.
The mecanic I wonder work as that, just one civ (Dahomey) could sell people of it's own cities as an unique ability.
I know the slavery is so ancient as humanity, but was in modern age, with triangular atlantic slave trade, it's reach it's peak. So that's why I think an african kingdom of modern age as Dahomey should have the responsibility to make the players think about slavery.
Maybe should be cool also a scenario with other West African kingdoms as Mali, Ashante, Benin and Oyo also with this ability, but just for scenario propose.
Slavery as an explicit mechanic is something we're unlikely to see in Civ. Devs will run away from anything that might be controversial.

Top Bottom