What is advantage of spying ?

How much does it usually cost to buy a tech Trev, and do you usually pay to do it safely?

it depends in which area you are playing, if the tech we are talking bout is a prerequisite to build a wonder or military units...

On Emperor level I pay between about 3300 gold for techs prior to the last age rising to in excess of 4000 gold safely. I always do it safely unless the reason is urgent (last tech required for spaceship and others have nearly completed spaceship) and I lack gold for safely.

Each tech is the same price, however if the civ you steal from is farther from you the price rises compared to a closer civ and also each time you steal the price increases slightly for the next theft.

Success rate on safely is about 70%, although if others have run statistical checks they may be able to give a more precise answer.

Ususally I am earning about 1000 gold per turn, maybe up to 1150 gold per turn, so an attempt is possible about every 3 - 4 turns, and I find it difficult to get science from learning under about 8 turns at that stage of the game

A trade deal if you can do it, and that is rare is often worth 7000 gold plus, so theft of tech is cheaper and also is not giving money to the AI's to use for rushbuilding improvements or armies or keeping a higher science rate, so theft is by far the best choice. however do not neglect your military strength if you intend to do this

Originally posted by pond
Everytime i try to plant a spy in a foreign country, the foreign ruler is not pleased and the spy is killed. How do i obtain a succesfull instalment of a spy in foreign countries ?

No one seems to have mentioned this trick... SAVE your position before you plant a spy, just incase you're not successful and war is declared. That way, if you don't want war, you can simply reload and carry on either with the game or try planting a spy again.

i don't see that as a trick but as cheating
it's a way of manipulating the game in your advantage

MajorFallout,
*I think* the reason pond refers to it as cheating is because the reload is banned in GOTM and tournement play. I used to use it frequently in Civ2, but anymore I don't do it. I've found that for me it is more fun to face the consequences of my actions. I'm normally stealing from a different continent, or I have infantry so there are no real consequences. (The AI can only defeat infantry with tanks & MA, even on deity)---ignoring 50 cavalry vs. 5 conscript infantry

When ever possible, I use propaganda to destroy a Civ. I did it to Germany in a game awhile back.

how do you know if a civ has gone into anarchy?!?!

Use the military advisor.... YOURS is in the left column... The right column will show you rivals' military if you have a spy there. If you have no spy, your advisor will give you a general comparison of your military to theirs, along with what type of gov't they have.

ok, i know where it is now.. but how do i rotate between civilizations? in my game, it's only showing the Chinese.. where do i click to change to some other civlizations?

Directly on the box with displays "Chinese ... " and their government. Popup list will appear and you can then chose another civilization.

I usually use spys to create wars. I am usually in a democracy so I much prefer to have my oppenent declare war on me. At least on Emperor and Diety a failed spy has a good chance of triggering a war (unless you are much stronger or on really good terms.)

The flipside to this, is on higher levels never plant a spy unless you are ready for war.

I've used spies to find out how many turns an enemy will complete a wonder in. Then either change production or replace some irrigation with mines (but watch your pop does not drop).

I've saved a game by using the spy to sabotage production on the enemy spacecraft. I also find their help during war invaluable. As someone mentioned, if they've built bombers, it's time to build interceptors/SAM sites and if they've got MI, perhaps, then, it is time to mass upgrade the tanks you've got lying around from the last war.

Stealing plans is nice, as it reveals their troop locations on the entire map--which is what the AI *always* is doing to you anyway. I have never sucessfully flipped a city to me with a propaganda campaign, but this is not an option I often use.

But perhaps the *best* reason for spies is to infuriate the enemy into declaring war on you so you can defend yourself with reduced war weariness from your population, as well as turn MMP's against the rival civ.

Someone mentioned they signed MPP's with the same civs as their attacker, but it bckfired on them. This has probably been mentioned (I haven't read both pages yet in their entirety), but for the MPP to take effect, you must be attacked IN YOUR TERRITORY. Sacrificial obsolete units and/or workers hit in your borders will spark off the MMP, causing the other civs to turn on whomever attacked you.

Later!

--The Clown to the Left

Top Bottom