what is call to power

Still not part of the series. Ever heard of Civ Chronicles? They "contain the whole civ series, except the latest expansion for Civ4, Warlords". And CtP is not there. :)

Can anyone tell me what civilization call to power is?
Is it a vertsion of civ3 or a completely different game?

Civ1 and 2 where created by a company called MicroProse, when this company stopped, an other company, named Activision, tried to create a successor to civ2, they called it "Civilization: Call to power" At some point, the company Firaxis was created, Firaxis involved Sid Mayer, the man who is behind the original civ series, and manage to obtain the legal rights to the Civilization franshise, they created Civ3 and Activision was forced to drop "Civilization" from their game's name.
Activision then created "Call to power 2" and set it up as a competing title.

Call to power (CTP) is a game that is very much like Civilization, a kind of like how Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola are both cola. They are not exactly the same though, but if "Civilization" was a kind name, instead of brand name, you could call CTP a Civ game.
CTP is different from both Civ2 and Civ3 just as Civ4 is different, though CTP looks a bit more like Civ2 and 3 than Civ4 does.

It has many interesting concepts, and special units, such as slavery and slaver units (you can join slaves to a city, and they will eat only 1 food instead of 2), eco-terrorist, biological-terrorist and its diseases, that can spread through trade routes, and religious doom sayers. It also speculates about 2000 years in the future with all kinds of future tech and governments (ecotopia, technocratie, virtual direct democracy, etc)
You can also build cities under water in the ocean, and floating in space. And of course you can build units that can attack from space, and in space. (though they dropped the space layer in CTP2) You can also build water ways in ocean and sea tiles (with the required future tech)

The game has its own share of fans. Though (I think) most people prefer the original Civilization series, even Civ4.
If you can find a second hand copy of the game somewhere, or in the $2 bargain bin, and you have time to kill, you may want to try it out. If only for the heck of it.

Some more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization:_Call_to_Power

IMHO Call to power is different from civ even in gameplay. I played it but i found parts of it annoying.

Good post MAS :)

Civilization CTP was a Civ game, both in concept and brand. CTP2 in concept only.

Another major difference in CTP is there is no workers to build roads etc. Instead such improvements is financed by public works. Public works is a percentage of the city production, it can be anything from 0 to 100%.

I like CTP but maybe not so much as Civ3. CTP is haunted by some irritating bugs that never was fixed. The GUI also takes some more work with the mouse, Civ3 is physically easier to play. (CTP sent me on sick-leave at least once due to mouse-hand problems.)

CTP has its own sub-forum on this board.

Unlike many who posted here, i did like CTP.

If i gather CTP with the civ series, civ3 is my favority and CTP comes second. (civ2 then third, civ4 last and civ1 i have never played)

Top Bottom