1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best tile?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Macksideshow, Feb 22, 2013.

1. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Warlord

gems are nice but it usually means you're next to jungle...

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I don't think having a hut next to your capitol can come even close to a tile that is 10:food: 1:commerce:. The resulting beaker worth would be absolutely insane with such a powerful tile. Huts have a small chance to be better if found late game on a map script where doing so is plausible, but on average the flood plain grassland riverside corn is definitely stronger.

3. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Yes, I know 10 :food: definitely overwhelm any result from a hut. Just what is your favorite color won't go far-fetched.

4. calibur

calibur Prince

What?

5. Manco Capac

I realize there is a subtitle telling what is the best tile...but the favourite irritates me at the same time...it's subjective. There's indeed plot outputs far better than others (often food), but the formulation doesn't make the question full objective.

EDIT: I mean this kind of question, what is the best XXX? has happened so many times.

EDIT2: I think I'm getting grumpy...that's no good. :lol:

6. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

I love you Tachywaxon but pears suck. So many fruits are better than pears, even apples are often better than pears and apples aren't even that good. Peaches are my favourite fruit. But bannanas are also good because they yield 6 food with a plantation

Oh noes they're being subjective damn those humans and their opinions and their fun why cant they all be robots like Tachy and deal with absolutes I mean who has need for more than 2 colours anyway.

I really do love you Tachy and I leek a little bit when you talk about code, its not your fault that you lack a limbic system ;P

7. Manco Capac

:D Nice one about the limbic system, the emotional center. Funn...one thinks I overreact (=emotional) and others think Imma a robot. :eek::lol:

The limbic system is also the core of addiction, just like Civ4 addiction.

Ok, let's return to the subject. I'm not here to start a crusade. ;)

8. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

ROFL. I'm actually impressed you managed to resist the urge to answer the question with: "Grassland iron is good on lower levels but on deity what you really need is ...." but can I take it your opinion is that my question is sub optimal?

Forested deer is another good option, I forget the fact it gets the worker out faster and makes use of hunting.

Isthmus tile was a good answer.

9. Manco Capac

Is that adressing to me? If so, since when I start talking deity all the time. I'm one who is annoyed of those spreading exclusive deity tricks.

On certain maps like Arboria, rainforests or Great Plains where forested deers are a but more common and less indicator of a starting location near the north/sourth pole, it's certainly good. Even better if starting on a PH.

10. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

I'll re-phrase that: when I posted the OP I was secretly hoping you'd come here and post:
    "Grassland iron is good on lower levels but on deity what you really need is ...." and tell me what .... is. I suspected it would be max food, I'm not even 100% sure I know what tile is max food. Wet corn like TMIT says?

But that would have been the end of discussion so I left the question open by using favourite because, as always, its situational. I now think forrested plains hill with deer is the best tile.

EDIT: perhaps I meant "higher levels" instead of "deity"

11. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

Which is a good thing. Grassland is the best base terrain in the game. Getting a jungle-start with no commerce can be hard, but the gems turn everything around since it gives you that early research boost so you can settle that jungle.

12. GKey

GKey Emperor

I trust TMIT, but how floodplain corn become 10:food:? floodplain adds 1 food so it might be 7:food:?

13. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

No floodplains add +3:food:. Just think about it for a second, the base terrain is desert on standard mapscripts!
    You can also test it on a standard mapscript by nuking desert floodplains till they get covered with fallout, the fallout removes features leaving you with a 0:food: desert even after the fallout is removed.

14. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Or worldbuilder it :)
    +1 from biology = 10: 10brot.jpg .

15. GKey

GKey Emperor

Ah, so that was floodplain grassland! :lol: How noobish of me to think corn can grow on desert tile. ;)

16. Merovech

Merovech Warlord

I believe the best possible worldbuildered tile is a lake (close to a coast so you can lighthouse and Moai it later) with an oasis and gold (with the mine worldbuildered). 5/1/12 before financial, colossus, lighthouse, moai, railroad and golden age boosts (although one has to worldbuiler in the railroad and can't build that naturally on the tile). With all of those, it's 6/4/15.

17. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Can the game actually display the icon graphics for yields this high? :lol:

18. Manco Capac

No, over 9 of output, it doesn't show more.

19. backthief

backthief Chieftain

Marble/Stone in a Hill for 3 Hammers to Settle 1st city

20. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

Q: Does WB allow you to stick resources on Oasis tiles?

I'm thinking a riverside oasis with gold might be fun :D