1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the first Civ you will play as ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DevC, Oct 4, 2016.

1. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Russia, because of Peter being the leader once again. Also I do like the design and their unique district, it looks very pretty.

2. Mathias Rex

Mathias Rex Chieftain

America on a small, continents map.

3. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

After seeing so many let's play video's with the 10 press-build civs already I guess any of the other ones.
    So it has to be one of the Arabs, Aztecs, Sumeria, France, Russia, Brazil, China, India, Egypt or the 20th civ, since every video starts with them saying there will be 20 at release. So the last could be a dlc (?) Poland, Gorgo's Greece or (if the "code leak" is true) dlc (?) Persia. But probably it will be either China, Brazil or the Arabs for my first game.
    And I'll play against at least 7 of these too to see their leader screens a bit better and see how their special abilities are used by the AI.
    I'm still on the fence if I'll keep the religious victory activated though, because I really didn't like how that folds out in the game of what I saw, but for my first game I probably keep it activated at least that once.

4. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

Genghis Khan of the Mongolian Empire (biggest Empire in history)

5. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Probably Rome, everything standard.

6. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Yeah I was getting ready to start as Rome, but I got to the same conclusion as you, you get a lot of infraestructure for free, and if you want to experience building all from zero, its probably better to pick somebody else.

7. darthtoon

darthtoon Chieftain

I will probably go for a random civilization, like I always do. It worked quite well for Civilization V, and I got a different game experience every time :)

8. Wonderblunder

Wonderblunder Part Time Monster in the Closet

I might shoot for China first. They seem to be a good civ to help me get accustomed to the new gameplay mechanics.

After that, maybe Scythia. I'm always a sucker for building hordes of cavalry in my games.

9. Nite

Nite Chieftain

I going to go with Japan first, being able to build encampments, holy sites and theater squares at half the rate is like having three unique districts.

10. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Absolutely China. I love wonders, and science bonuses are nice. My second game will probably be with Japan or Russia.

11. ThisNameIsTooLo

ThisNameIsTooLo Emotion Lord

China for me as well. Partly because I enjoy managing Workers and building Wonders, but also partly because I don't want to play against Qin and have to be forced to look at his gross raisin face on a regular basis.

12. pholtz

pholtz King

Going to do something really weird for me. If avail, I'll probably play a hot seat multiplayer on a tiny map where I play two of the civs, don't know which yet. Try to get the multi-player achievements done, check out "online" speed, and study the terrain so it will be easier to "read" the map. Playing two different civ's I'll start exploring different starting strategies from the get-go.

Pretty sure I'm going to win my first game, but I'm also going to lose it :rolleyes:

13. Rolaran

Rolaran Chieftain

Germany. The districts and adjacency system is one of the things I'm really keen to dive into, and getting a head start on that from the free district is a big plus.

14. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

I love going random and will still do so, but have my fingers crossed for an expansionist like Rome or Russia.

15. CelticBlood

CelticBlood Chieftain

Vikings, since there isn't a Celt civ available I'll go with my next closest ancestors.

16. DCParry

DCParry Chieftain

Having just finished teaching the Epic of Gilgamesh to a bunch of freshmen, I think I may start with Sumeria.

I should do an AAR of the play though in the style of that TNG episode.

Zaarin likes this.
  17. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

"Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk." :D

Abraxis and oakdragon like this.
  18. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Having now watched a bunch of playthroughs, I am thinking that Egypt could be actually more powerful than we originally thought (which is great, as I love them as a civ).

It seems to me gold is much more important in Civ6 than it was in earlier games (mainly for buying of tiles), so the extra gold Egypt gets from trade routes can come in handy. Moreover, placing cities on rivers is very important for appeal/housing purposes, and Egypt definitely gets bonus in this regard by having a boost to districts and wonders built on rivers, and being allowed to use floodplains as normal plains for the purpose of wonders and district placement. They also seem to be the only civ that gets the all-era-wonder production boosts (as long as they are placed on rivers), allowing them to compete both against China and France.

On top of that, sphinxes could be used to boost culture and faith considerably, giving them a good chance of founding a religion.

And finally, they are very good at being a good friend and ally, by giving their trading partners food bonus to their trade routes with Egypt - so they could easily become good friends with someone like Sumer, America and Scythia to act as their defender, while they move towards a religious or cultural victory.

19. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Can`t make a pick. After the release of Greece and Russia i`m tempted not to play random. Still decent chance i will play England.

Life is hard.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  20. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Random Civ.......I love the look of *all* of them!