What is the funnest part/point of the game in your opinion?

I'm with punkbass and warpstorm. Early in the gane everything seems so full of posibilities. Discovering the territory around you, placing your first cities and rushing to beat your rivals to resources. After that it becomes a slower more methodical game to me.

warpstorm said:
For me it is the opening game when most of the screen is black. This is the crucial period as eveything you do good or bad is magnified throughout the entire game.
Same for me.

I find the following things very funny:

1) Watching a well-placed regular unit successfully defend against multiple attackers while being promoted to elite status in the process.

2) The follow-up counterassault by reserves annihilating those attackers. "We bad, uh hu, we bad."

3) Capturing an enemy city that contains a Great Wonder. "So Caesar, how long did it take you to build THAT? Ha ha ha."

4) Culture swap of an enemy city to your empire.

5) Capturing another civ's last city defended by 2 spearmen (in Middle Ages)

6) Trading a new tech to all the other civs for hundreds of GPT, thousands of Gold in cash, plus Furs, Ivory, & Gems

7) then set science to 100% and still get ILKDs throughout the empire. Call me Trump Jr.

etc...

rajwhitehall said:
3) Capturing an enemy city that contains a Great Wonder. "So Caesar, how long did it take you to build THAT? Ha ha ha."
True, that. Culture is everything to me.

(4) Culture swap of an enemy city to your empire.
See above :)

(6) Trading a new tech to all the other civs for hundreds of GPT, thousands of Gold in cash, plus Furs, Ivory, & Gems

7) then set science to 100% and still get ILKDs throughout the empire. Call me Trump Jr.
I should try that :)

I'd have to say culture and diplomacy. I love them both dearly. The diplomacy in single player is lacking in many respects though, so I am often more prone to the Online aspect of Civ. I am thoroughly enjoying the online modes, and having just recently decided to join ladder comps, I am looking forward to time ahead. But I'll list my top 3 in order:

1) Start of the game for the first 20-40 turns.

2) Diplomacy.

3) Culture

The best part is when i'm done expanding and i mobilize my country for war. war usually creates a boom for my economy so it is always positive :)

Expansion. i usually just never come back to the game after the early industrial age.

Watching the water push away from my galley's hull...then all the sudden out from all the darkness turns up......LAND HO!!!!
Especially with horses!!

Getting a GW built one or two turns before the AI, and knowing he'll lose a bunch of shields converting to building anything else.

Watching those exapansion cities that Babylon and America had put up defecting to me.

Having a war in a Democratic government with the Infinity City Sprawl's effects. One Temple per city coupled with just a few luxuries, and you can almost forget about any war weariness.

Watching a Jaguar Warrior attack my Mech Infantry.

Bombarding an enemy civs countryside to death with Battleships, Bombers, and Artillery on the very first turn of war.

Isolating a lone civ, signing MPPs with everyone else, then going straight to an embargo. Then, watching Gandhi nashing his teeth in fury and sending his pathetic War Elephants against my Infantry. Then, watching Germany, China, and America pummel India into non-existence. Then, seeing their conquered cities defecting to me after having lost all their culture buildings.

Ahh. . . life is good with Civ.

I love culture wars, where me and a neighbor place cities right next to each other and build their cultures as quickly as possible.

Hmmm...what to pick. First off, the beginnning...all that excitment of grabbing those resources and finding that beautiful spot to put a city. Second, never-ending wars when the whole world is against you and you are still holding out (every game I've ever played as the Celts). Also, using all those air units for the first time and laughing as you level cities and sink fleets without even moving a unit. The funniest is always when some backwards little civ sneak-attacks your world super-power with a handful of longbowmen.

Having a few warriors upgraded to Swordsman a turn ago, watching all these settler/spearman pairs running inside my borders and having my opponent declaring just because I kindly asked him to leave my territory makes me :D

I love when I get the Cavalry and can start to conquer the World. The Knight is OK of course but Cavalry rocks.

Generally speaking, I enjoy the Ancient and Medieval ages the best. IME, by the time you reach the Industrial you, probably, already know if you're going to win, and the manner in which you're going to do it. In short: a lot of the "mystery" is gone, only to be replaced by a lot of "mechanics".

-V

The initial phase of expansion and exploration is what I most like.

I love the industrial era, how your civ (probably) is so huge, that it starts to be stretched thing (cavs take 9 turns to go from one end to the other on a large pangaea map), then you build your rail net, and it all becomes so much easier.

I love it when they declare war on me for no reason, and a few turns after they are dumbfounded watching 15 cavalry Armies landing right beside their capital surrounding it and pillaging every precious deity tile on sight, heh heh.

Also, when finishing the Hoover Dam in Deity is awesome.

I love it when I'm in the tech lead (at Emperor) and I make deals and make all of them go bust financially with crazy gpt and lump gold, the fizzling pleasure I feel inside after a good deal is struck ... mmm...mmm...mmm. :devil:

Top Bottom