What is the most versatile civilization?

Not true at all -- with Magnus you don't need horses (or iron) to build your units. For reference I highly recommend civtrader6 's videos. His Mongol deity game is great fun - no horses - no problem.

The only caveat being they won’t heal (except via promotion) until you secure a source . . . so all it takes is one of your neighbors having the missing resource for you to take.

Yeah, I am really enjoying his Mongol playthrough. Civtrader6 is awesome. :thumbsup:

Oh he is crazy overpowered. But hey - Firaxas put him in there so I'm going to use him!

Yep. Almost all the governors will need to be toned down a little I suspect; but Magnus appears to take the cake.

Reyna is not OP, also she sits still in a fat city which I like.
Amani is a great concept
Pingala,Liang both have their uses
Moksha is useless unless religious but seems fairly strong then.
Even Victor I have built in the past amd has been useful.

It’s just Magnus but the game is fun with him in.

I'd say that Pingala's base bonus is OP.

I'd say that Pingala's base bonus is OP.

Nah it's a passive bonus and all the AIs will get it too so it's fine. Magus is 10x more overpowered than any other governor for his super chop alone. Yeah - he's fun but I don't think the AI really makes good use of him so it creates a major imbalance.

I really can't say I find Rome versatile. Fun to play, but not really all that strong. Roads to Rome is useful if you start on a big continent, but is not so useful on an island map. Free monument - yawn. The Bath is not nearly as useful as something that can be spammed all over the map by builders (like the outback encampment). So it really comes down to the useful Legion.

On the other hand, Sumeria, Aztec and Australia can build up such a huge lead that you can then take any path you like. Any OP civ is always going to be the most versatile.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. What is the nation that can deal with most of the situations?

Gilgamesh. Strong start and keeps your boosts with Barb camps.

Oh, and Ghandi is still an ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
rome. legions allow to survive even total war. roads/tradeposts. they are good. they bring cash and give speed. monument. little culture push from the begging. aqueduct. cheap, gives bonus. any victory type benefits from rome traits.

It’s just Magnus but the game is fun with him in.

I agree Magnus is fun - and planning where to send him for the chopping is a game in itself.

I do hope they nerf chopping but I hope they do it by scaling chopping yields differently over time (I'm fine with early chopping but want to slow its scaling). Chopping is literally what most of the world did to generate production for thousands of years!

I hope they don't just drop Magnus to +30% or something - then he just becomes boring and its not worth moving him around.

The main problem I have with the other governors (and actually Magnus with his industrial building bonus) is that the 30% bonuses aren't worth the effort of moving the governors (and losing 5 turns of their base yield). I mean Pingala sits in the city that generates the most science & culture and I NEVER wan't to move him just for a bit of extra production.

It is really hard to say who is the most versatile. Obviously, there are civs which are just very powerful, and will be able to get a strong start in most situations, thus snowballing towards whichever victory type you prefer. You could say those are versatile because of that. But if we are thinking of civs which have strengths that are very broadly applicable and useful in different situations:
  • Japan - Discounts on three different districts is more flexible than having a single unique infrastructure, which you will typically be aiming for first every time. Also, their district adjacency bonus is pretty much independent of terrain and available space.
  • Greece - The extra wildcard policy slot is very flexible, and you get it from the very start.
  • Germany - The extra district adds options to your cities, and lets them perform as if they were larger cities.

Rome

Their bonuses are very generic and also quite good. It's hard to imagine playing a game where you don't have a single city that's using their benefits somehow.

My runner-up is Cree.

True, you might not use alliances, but mekewaps can be put in any city and give great benefits. The extra trader and tiles from traders moving through tiles within three of a city is just universally great.

It is really hard to say who is the most versatile. Obviously, there are civs which are just very powerful, and will be able to get a strong start in most situations, thus snowballing towards whichever victory type you prefer. You could say those are versatile because of that. But if we are thinking of civs which have strengths that are very broadly applicable and useful in different situations:
  • Japan - Discounts on three different districts is more flexible than having a single unique infrastructure, which you will typically be aiming for first every time. Also, their district adjacency bonus is pretty much independent of terrain and available space.
  • Greece - The extra wildcard policy slot is very flexible, and you get it from the very start.
  • Germany - The extra district adds options to your cities, and lets them perform as if they were larger cities.
I played with a lot of different Civs, definitely the most versatile Civ is Hojo Tokimune, Japan. He can builds cities everywhere, he is good in maps with Sea, as he can take advantage of his coast bonus, and is even good in maps with a lot of lands so he can make a lot of districts together and explore the extra bonus. As Victory condition, he can go for every one of them. Religion he has Holy Site Discount which he can get Prophet faster than others. Culture he has Theater Square discount and Electronic Factory for culture bonus. Domination he has Encampment discount and Samurai is very good as he doesn't need resources, can be rushed and smash early units, later on can even compete with Musketman and the "Does not suffer combat penalties when damaged" is better than you imagine. For Science Victory the additional standard adjacency bonus for being adjacent to another district is insane with Campus, you can make easily +5 Campuses. Good in the early game, mid game and Late game

Top Bottom