1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What launguage should I learn?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Drofd, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Drofd

Drofd Chieftain

School is almost over and I'm thinking I should I learn a programming launguage. I was going to ask u guys what i should pick up if i want to start modding games like civ4?

2. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

Civ 4 uses 2 languages; Python, and C++. C++ is much more commenly used in other applications, so if you weren't just restricting yourself to Civ it would probably be the best to learn, however I think Python is a lot easier to pick up, as well as being suitable for most of the changes you will need to make for Civ.

3. Killamike718

Killamike718 Proud Maya User

Well I know that XML is the easiest, soo if you can probably do that, then yor off to a good start! Then tacle something like python but if you really want to get the most out of modding, you might want to learn C++. Personally, I would learn C++ if I had Time, I learned some small stuff, like how to make words appear o screen in dos window, but thats it and to mee its a COOL language and seems fun to learn. Maybe im a nerd that likes math, but i would try to learn C++ to use the SDK and its good for modding other games of your preference.

EDIT::::: DANG, The Great Apple YOU BEAT ME TO IT!!

4. surt

surt Prince

I would say go with python ... you'll get a gentle introduction to programming, and can tackle the complexity of c++ second if you want.

5. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

:mad: XML is not a programming language :mad:

6. Killamike718

Killamike718 Proud Maya User

Im sorry, I know its not really a language but is similar, I guess? Isn't similar to HTML and I know people dont consider that a language either.

7. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

XML is not a programming language, it is a markup language. It is basically a database.

8. Drofd

Drofd Chieftain

thx guys I've alredy learned very verybasic Java so I think i'll start on C++

9. Officer Reene

Officer Reene It hates you all

You can do alot with the XML files without having to learn languages...

I mod alot with it

of course you are limited on what you can do with it but...

you can "Reskin"/edit/mod:

new units
    new national/world wonders
    buildings
    civics

and alot of other stuff...

I usually stay away from Python because it hardly ever works with MP games...
    (but I use them occasionally)

some resources to explain the XML tags:

http://civ4wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Xml_files

and here:

http://modiki.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Reference_xml

(cross reference them both since some have info the other does not)

Hope that helps! ;)

(or you can just ignore this info :p )

10. Padmewan

Padmewan King

In terms of understanding how this game works going straight to C++ is best. Using Python you can override a lot of default behaviors, but without better documentation it's hard to tell how each override works -- I find myself going into C++ just to see how the Python is evoked. I usually end up coding in Python anyway, just because it's easier and faster, but without being able to read the C++ the Python is actually hard to figure out as the documentation out there is minimal.

However, there is a LOT to see in the core code. If you're new to programming, going into the SDK may be like drinking from a firehose.