What map settings do you play on?

BlueberryMuffin

Chieftain
What map, map size, number of players/CS (if not default) do you feel provides the most compelling experience?

I played two games in G&K so far, one on pangea plus and one on continents plus, and I lost interest in both because by the end of medieval era I realized that I have the most cities and still enough room for multiple more, as the AI seems strangely reluctant to expand or fight a meaningful war. This is on king difficulty.

What map, map size, number of players/CS (if not default) do you feel provides the most compelling experience?

I played two games in G&K so far, one on pangea plus and one on continents plus, and I lost interest in both because by the end of medieval era I realized that I have the most cities and still enough room for multiple more, as the AI seems strangely reluctant to expand or fight a meaningful war. This is on king difficulty.

For some reason AI does not like to expand in CivV in general.

Usual scenario I play is panagea in various sea levels and with diferent temperature and humidity with 4 to 6 oponents on small map and with more or less CS (all depending on (civilization) Nation that I play). Level Prince always.

So for example I have 4 ai oponents with 2 or 3 cities a lot of empty space and one oponent who expand on crazy level foulfeeling all that empty space without any order and soon waging war on me by sending tens and tens of units and probably choking themselfs in money and happines problem.

I would like them to be more balance so that most of civs expand where they can and not just one and war to be more meaningfull as you wrote.
So, something is wrong, or my expectation from AI is just too high.

Small because that's what my laptop can handle.

Continents because I feel it is the most balanced. Doesn't overemphasize navy like Archipelago or the opposite, like Pangaea. I especially despise the latter, since I think it's quite fulfilling to carry out a transoceanic amphibious landing.

I usually play on Small (would play on larger maps if my computer could handle it) with 7 civs and 8 city states. I like the variety and having more challengers than many city states.

I usually enjoy

Map: Random
Size: Small

Everything else left as default/standard.

However, I am trying to bump up to standard map size, and am having hard time adjusting. Especially with increased competing civs, and due to this I cannot get as many wonders as I previously did.

Try Continents+ 16 civs and 16 city states on standard size low sea level at least on King level. You should get some action that way. Continents+ allows that many civs and city states to exist and still have some potential to expand.

Civs do expand but it depends on what they are trying to achieve. It is possible to build a super sized single city in civ and have the same population as five cities.

tall verses wide expansion

Cheers

Lately, it's been Small Continents, Small or Standard Size, Epic, Prince, Netherlands, Random Opponents.

These options usually provide me with a solid 3 or 4 city start, and it's just <sniploads> of FUN once I get Navigation. Give me a couple of frigates and a few Sea Beggars, and the AIs are basically <snipped>! I also really like the Netherlands battle music.

For Theodora, I prefer a small land map. Great Plains or Pangea are both fun.

Huge, continents or small continents, sometimes even earth map. Always marthon. Everything else default. But after a few gods and kings maps I am thinking I need to add more civs. The ai just doesnt expand much.

I rarely play anything bigger than Small - my computer can't handle late era big maps very well, plus I like higher density, more conflict maps. I'll play anything from duel to small; I tend to add more civs and/or city-states than normally appear.

I play Pangaea a lot but sometimes small to large continents. Not a fan of islands and oceans unless I'm devoted to a very small & tall non-war civ.

Usually on Standard or Large maps + Pangaea or Continents.
I always play on standard game speed.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm very surprised how many people are playing on small maps. Tried adding some extra civs to a standard map per Glider's suggestion and the map definitely feels more cozy at the moment.

Top Bottom