What Sadist chose the Modern Era Music?

Uh, what exactly is so horrible about the modern music? I rarely get to that age (or at least hear the other music more often...) but the times I get there it sounds pretty good....

don't have a problem with any of the game's musical themes. I actually quite like the one from the industrial era, well an the medieval one's also nice. can't think of the modern, but no bad memories so far.

Older than Dirt said:
How long can y'all listen to this? I shouldn't complain, I guess, 'cuz it's not Rap! But can some merciful benefactor earn my eternal gratitude by modding this by replacing it with Rite of Spring, or Ragtime jazz, or even Sinatra or Elivs songs? And how can a game be called "Civilization" without a single song by Joe Green (alias Guiseppe Verde) or Puccini (may I suggest Madama Butterfly). Ah, yes what could be more delightful than listening to a dead girl in a bag singing whilst capturing and pillaging a city! But kein Wagner, bitte. By the way how can anyone attack Bismark? He's so jovial and has such kind eyes; and he wears a pickelstaube just as did my great-great-great grandfather who however was such a poor general he had to leave Prussia but was smart enough to get here before the borders closed.

As you can tell, its been a slow day at work.

Don't spend a lot of time in the modern age. Sometimes none at all. Kind of don't notice it. I'll drag the next game out and see what it's like.

I found the music early on to be a little slowish. Love the modern music though, it's the only music I really miss since I checked the "custom music folder" option in the audio menu.

Older than Dirt said:
How long can y'all listen to this? I shouldn't complain, I guess, 'cuz it's not Rap! But can some merciful benefactor earn my eternal gratitude by modding this by replacing it with Rite of Spring, or Ragtime jazz, or even Sinatra or Elivs songs? And how can a game be called "Civilization" without a single song by Joe Green (alias Guiseppe Verde) or Puccini (may I suggest Madama Butterfly). Ah, yes what could be more delightful than listening to a dead girl in a bag singing whilst capturing and pillaging a city!

LOL! I assume you mean Rigoletto's daughter, Gilda, and she's not quite dead yet when she sings her last few phrases. :D But I don't care for the modern period's music, either. It reflects the standards of roughly 25 years ago, when "modern" meant either minimalist/endlessly repetitive, or annoyingly dodecaphonic. Fortunately, real classical music is being composed again, and the new stuff is well worth listening to.

I really like the modern era music :)

Not saying I would listen to it outside civ, but it fits somehow I think.

If I replaced it with any of my normal music, I think that would feel out of place because techno, hip hop, rock & roll etc would all be out of place in certain parts of the modern era.

LOVE the modern age music!

LOVE that a (more or less) mass-market consumer product assumes I can deal with a piece of symphonic music written after 1895!

And, as automator says,

it's a HUGE improvement over the Civ3 modern era music. That crap made me wanna vomit.

Rane Khan said:
Uh, what exactly is so horrible about the modern music? I rarely get to that age (or at least hear the other music more often...) but the times I get there it sounds pretty good....
It's depressing, unmelodic, and rather violent-sounding. I can't stand 9/10 of it, personally.

Yeah, the modern music is the worst in the game. Coincidentally, I usually notice how bad it is after I make the Rock N' Roll wonder.You know what was fun? Metallica's Black Album while playing Civ3 Conquests "WW2: Pacific Conquest:. Nothing Like bombing Japan to "Don't Tread on Me". ( and I'm not even a Republican!) In Civ4, I'd be happy to get some wagner or even some Gap commercial-esque swing music. The current music makes me want to order venti lattes.

I have to say I would like to hear 'Blue Danube' played with a Theramin when you see the spaceship victory film. Just for the hallaroity of it!

I generally like the music in Civ 4 - and yes, it is a tremendous improvement over Civ 3 in my mind. But that being said, I would appreciate a little less "Eurocentric" music selection. After all, this is Civilization, it should encompass music from different cultures, especially when you are controlling a non-European one. In fact that would make a nice addition - Civ specific music depending on the Civ you are playing; not that every single song must be from that culture, but one thrown in there every now and then would be a nice touch.

You can always play your mp3s by changing the settings in the game. Just select the folder where your music files are and voila!! no more civ4 music!

Interesting. There was another thread a while back in which most people replying said they liked the Adams music. *shrug* Looks to me as if it's about an even split, which is pretty good when it comes to music trying to appeal to as broad an audience as this.

All I have to say is, thank [insert diety of preference] I can set up a custom music folder.

I also overwrote the main menu song with a smokin version of "Let it Grow" by the Grateful Dead. Tres appropo :)

How easy is it to add songs to the soundtrack?

I want to replace many of the existing songs with tracks from The Most Relaxing Classical Album In The World... Ever!. Nothing quite like waging a holy war and torching countless cities while listening to Moonlight Sonata.

Well, you can either add music to the Civ4\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack (something like that) directory or point the game to a custom music folder in the in-game options menu.

I also gave the main menu song a new name and then saved a song of my choice with the original name in the original folder...presumably you could do this for any music in the game, including the intro movie.

Nestorius said:
Civ IV modern music is 1000 times better than the modern Civ III music.
1000 times 0 is still zero ;).

Top Bottom