1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Sadist chose the Modern Era Music?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Older than Dirt, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Rane Khan

Rane Khan Chieftain

Uh, what exactly is so horrible about the modern music? I rarely get to that age (or at least hear the other music more often...) but the times I get there it sounds pretty good....

2. Shadowhal

Shadowhal Warlord

don't have a problem with any of the game's musical themes. I actually quite like the one from the industrial era, well an the medieval one's also nice. can't think of the modern, but no bad memories so far.

3. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

Intelligent Dance Music and Freeform all the way for post-modern era.

4. DraconisRex

DraconisRex Chieftain

Don't spend a lot of time in the modern age. Sometimes none at all. Kind of don't notice it. I'll drag the next game out and see what it's like.

5. Mathemagician13

Mathemagician13 Chieftain

I found the music early on to be a little slowish. Love the modern music though, it's the only music I really miss since I checked the "custom music folder" option in the audio menu.

6. Glinka

Glinka Prince

LOL! I assume you mean Rigoletto's daughter, Gilda, and she's not quite dead yet when she sings her last few phrases. :D But I don't care for the modern period's music, either. It reflects the standards of roughly 25 years ago, when "modern" meant either minimalist/endlessly repetitive, or annoyingly dodecaphonic. Fortunately, real classical music is being composed again, and the new stuff is well worth listening to.

7. shackleton

shackleton Warlord

I really like the modern era music :)

Not saying I would listen to it outside civ, but it fits somehow I think.

If I replaced it with any of my normal music, I think that would feel out of place because techno, hip hop, rock & roll etc would all be out of place in certain parts of the modern era.

8. michael4000

michael4000 The Culture

LOVE the modern age music!

LOVE that a (more or less) mass-market consumer product assumes I can deal with a piece of symphonic music written after 1895!

And, as automator says,

9. neriana

neriana Warlord

It's depressing, unmelodic, and rather violent-sounding. I can't stand 9/10 of it, personally.

10. cuchulain

cuchulain Warlord

Yeah, the modern music is the worst in the game. Coincidentally, I usually notice how bad it is after I make the Rock N' Roll wonder.You know what was fun? Metallica's Black Album while playing Civ3 Conquests "WW2: Pacific Conquest:. Nothing Like bombing Japan to "Don't Tread on Me". ( and I'm not even a Republican!) In Civ4, I'd be happy to get some wagner or even some Gap commercial-esque swing music. The current music makes me want to order venti lattes.

11. Mauritania

Mauritania Warlord

I have to say I would like to hear 'Blue Danube' played with a Theramin when you see the spaceship victory film. Just for the hallaroity of it!

12. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Prince

13. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

I generally like the music in Civ 4 - and yes, it is a tremendous improvement over Civ 3 in my mind. But that being said, I would appreciate a little less "Eurocentric" music selection. After all, this is Civilization, it should encompass music from different cultures, especially when you are controlling a non-European one. In fact that would make a nice addition - Civ specific music depending on the Civ you are playing; not that every single song must be from that culture, but one thrown in there every now and then would be a nice touch.

14. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

You can always play your mp3s by changing the settings in the game. Just select the folder where your music files are and voila!! no more civ4 music!

15. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

Interesting. There was another thread a while back in which most people replying said they liked the Adams music. *shrug* Looks to me as if it's about an even split, which is pretty good when it comes to music trying to appeal to as broad an audience as this.

16. eric_

eric_ Emperor

All I have to say is, thank [insert diety of preference] I can set up a custom music folder.

I also overwrote the main menu song with a smokin version of "Let it Grow" by the Grateful Dead. Tres appropo :)

17. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Chieftain

How easy is it to add songs to the soundtrack?

I want to replace many of the existing songs with tracks from The Most Relaxing Classical Album In The World... Ever!. Nothing quite like waging a holy war and torching countless cities while listening to Moonlight Sonata.

18. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Well, you can either add music to the Civ4\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack (something like that) directory or point the game to a custom music folder in the in-game options menu.

I also gave the main menu song a new name and then saved a song of my choice with the original name in the original folder...presumably you could do this for any music in the game, including the intro movie.

19. Nestorius

Nestorius Prince

Civ IV modern music is 1000 times better than the modern Civ III music.

20. neriana

neriana Warlord

1000 times 0 is still zero ;).