What shall we do with the Ruins?

Sir Donald III

Emperor
This topic has been cleared for the Discussion of Reconstruction of Roman Lands.

Later tonight, this will be a Settlement Debate topic, as I will (try to) post pictures of each area and where I think good sites are.

As of now, I'd like to look at an area we won't be going for this TC: Viroconium.

The topic of Viroconium. It's in the middle of the Desert, and surrounded by Zulus and French.

And yet... Rome settled in the middle...

Is it because they needed soemplace to go? Or because they know something we don't?

Discuss. And I'll be back.

Attachments

• Vircony.JPG
    Vircony.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 162
It'll depend on when the city was founded, something we do not know.

The way I see it, the city is should be lightly defended and it shouldn't take that much effort to take. Let's grab it, just in case.

Sir Donald III said:
Is it because they needed soemplace to go? Or because they know something we don't?
Saltpeter or oil, perhaps? Or maybe they just did need someplace to go, otherwise the Zulu or French would settle it (Why did Rome settle it before Zulu or France? A meaningless question).

Anyways, it may be possible to get it for peace. However, it seems likely that the rest of Rome other than Lugdunum will be captured before we are willing to accept peace. I think Viroconium was founded before Lugdunum, giving it the edge in palace location. Therefore, direct attack would seem to necessary. Obviously, the final judgement on the city cannot be finalized at the moment.

TimBentley said:
Saltpeter or oil, perhaps? Or maybe they just did need someplace to go, otherwise the Zulu or French would settle it (Why did Rome settle it before Zulu or France? A meaningless question).

Anyways, it may be possible to get it for peace. However, it seems likely that the rest of Rome other than Lugdunum will be captured before we are willing to accept peace. I think Viroconium was founded before Lugdunum, giving it the edge in palace location. Therefore, direct attack would seem to necessary. Obviously, the final judgement on the city cannot be finalized at the moment.

I would think we would capture all of Rome. They can't stand against us.

Lugdunum? I don't think we even need to bother with that city. It's not worth the settler.

The Romans just built 2 settlers into it (It's size 5 now). Probably the settlers from the Settler Parade. That means all land has been taken.

Well... from the looks of things, we don't have as many gaping holes as I thought.

There's Neapolis hill, and...

I think that's it.

And Viro is now the Cap, so no worries about razing there now...

Pics when I'm a bit more coherent.

Ok. From what I can see, the only place we can send a guy is the neighborhood ofr former Neapolis.

I've posted a pic. The marked Red Circle is where I think we should have a city.

Other sectors? Other thoughts on this Sector?

Attachments

• Old Neapolis.JPG
    Old Neapolis.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 131
That position is probably the best we can get from that site...
I've posted 2 other possible locations in this thread: follow the link

Looks pretty good Invy!! :goodjob: :lol:

BTW, where is the airship from? Looks like FFIX or FFXI.

Sir Donald III said:
Ok. From what I can see, the only place we can send a guy is the neighborhood ofr former Neapolis.

I've posted a pic. The marked Red Circle is where I think we should have a city.

Other sectors? Other thoughts on this Sector?

Moving back on-topic,

That city would not be that powerful, likely it would have little purpose, but as a culture hold. Of course, it would be hard to get any culture into it (unless we rush).

Culture Hold... which also takes advantage of a Floodplain that Epolenep can't use.

Anyway, as for Invy's suggestions:

I'd rather have it 1 SE of where it is, but that creates a lot more problems with Iros...

Invy says 1 tile South of the marked square if we don't War with Zulu.

I say 1 Tile SW.

Why? Hill for Defense, River for Growth and Commerce. Sure, we won't get City Size until probably Replacable Parts (with all that Jungle there), but let's just say I like River spots.

And, yes, I know it crowds into Shorin-Ryu slightly...

1 tile SW has those advantages, but it will lose some grassland tiles and it is too close to Shorin and Corrino. I could accept everything but except that it is too close to other cities. We will really crowd that area and I don't want to do that.

I suggest to make a poll with these 2 locations for Zulu city (1 tile S, 1 tile SW) and 2 locations for southern city. That would make place for use of our 2 settlers. Polls might even be finished before next TC.

And, please consider joining 3rd settler to Corrino.

I think we should probably try to fill in Rome as well, with cities as well as culture.

--

Another matter is what to do with Rome's name. I'm going to have Hispalis and Ravenna renamed as usual, but Rome, being a capital, is currently going to stay the same. The other possibilities would be to rename it with the next thing on the list, or a custom name (since this city is not subject to a number on the list, it can be named however).

So what I'm going to do is have a two day nomination period in this thread (to save space and give it a use), followed by a two day poll (with the additional options of Rome and the next name down the list). Just nominate any city name you like, preferably something Japanese.

Top Bottom