What should I be doing in a team game?

marvelharvey

Chieftain
After 1200 hours of Civ 5, I finally got around to trying a team game and I lost pretty badly (or should I say my teammate did). I tried a couple more games and both time my friend got utterly thrashed.

Settings: Diety, Small (but with 8 AIs), Pangea, Nebuchadnezzar+Sejong (science overload).

In all three games, Sejong was dogpiled around turn 40-60, with hardly any military to protect his capital. Instead of cancelling his half built settler and building walls/units he kept the settler production going. I managed to get a couple of composite bows over to his capital and help weaken the opposition. Sadly, after he built the settler, Sejong decided that even though he was surrounded, units and walls could wait, and he began constructing the Terracotta Army (It's not a REAL army you idiot). My assistance wasn't enough though and is capital fell soon after. I quit.

Next game was going pretty well for me, I managed to grab the hanging gardens somehow and finished education by turn 92. Sejong on the other hand had lost his capital again, but since he had 2 other reasonable cities, we were still in the game. After education, I beelined for machinery and built a huge army of crossbows. I walked them over to Sejong's capital, to reclaim it from Persia, but the moment I arrived, Sejong made a truce and I couldn't help.

At this moment, the Huns attack, I moved my army back to the capital, fought them off, pushed them back to their capital and 2 turns before I captured it, Sejong made a truce.

Sejong was attack by Persia again, my army marches back to help, I slaughter the Persians, go to retake Sejong's capital and yes, he sues for peace again.

Third game was basically the same, me steaming ahead, Sejong doing nothing to protect his capital and losing it around turn 70.

So, the question is, what do I need to do? Should I station a small army near Sejong ASAP? Should I gift him all my gold? Should I be focusing more on military techs instead of beeling education? Should I be choosing a warmongering teammate instead?

And finally, does the AI still receive the same Deity bonuses when on the human team? I was expecting Sejong to have the great Library done by turn 27 and a gigantic carpet of doom.

Had similar things happen when I tried team games (was hoping to cheese a deity team win this way, but cancelled it due to this behaviour). It totally kills team play that if >I< declare a war, my partner can make peace without my agreement. And yes, usually when the war is going well.

For teams with a human player, the war/peace decisions should really be in the player's hand.

In all three games, Sejong was dogpiled around turn 40-60, with hardly any military to protect his capital. Instead of cancelling his half built settler and building walls/units he kept the settler production going.

Sadly, after he built the settler, Sejong decided that even though he was surrounded, units and walls could wait, and he began constructing the Terracotta Army

I walked them over to Sejong's capital, to reclaim it from Persia, but the moment I arrived, Sejong made a truce and I couldn't help.

At this moment, the Huns attack, I moved my army back to the capital, fought them off, pushed them back to their capital and 2 turns before I captured it, Sejong made a truce.

Sejong was attack by Persia again, my army marches back to help, I slaughter the Persians, go to retake Sejong's capital and yes, he sues for peace again.

Third game was basically the same, me steaming ahead, Sejong doing nothing to protect his capital and losing it around turn 70.

So, the question is, what do I need to do?

Get a new Civ-playing friend!

Get Hiawatha. Sejong always gets his... extra science from specific buildings... handed back to him big time, in almost every game I play. He is usually the first to lose his capital.

Don't like the city spammer? Get somebody who is usually there at end game.

Want a challenge? Build the army for two. Let Sejong get into his groove, defend him. When attacking, stay within 10 turns. He's like your typical high school nerd. Everyone loves picking on him, and there's absolutely no intention of getting more strength or over developing. So just let him sit there behind your Iron Curtain. He'll eventually hit a highly paid CEO function. So, you just need to... oh bloody hell. Pick Hiawatha.

It seems a bit like an RPG game where you need a balanced team. Two science focused civs(mages) just don't work, you need someone in front of them keeping them from being hit.

I'm not sure what you could do about the peace problem though beyond taking the enemy cities fast. Try playing as the Huns or Mongols maybe(with Sejong as your partner). Take all nearby enemy civs early and have your civ all around your partner for protection. Or do it in the reverse and have a war-loving AI partner. That would likely solve that problem, but then you'd want to rely on the AI for your protection.

I've had many problems with the teammate making peace thing myself, and I've found no way to prevent it. I usually just accept it when my ally makes peace. As for Sejong losing cities, in my games Sejong has a 100% chance to lose at least one city in the first 150 turns (standard speed). Try using Hiawatha or Bismark instead, but the best option is to play multiplayer with someone on your team if possible.

Had similar things happen when I tried team games (was hoping to cheese a deity team win this way, but cancelled it due to this behaviour). It totally kills team play that if >I< declare a war, my partner can make peace without my agreement. And yes, usually when the war is going well.

For teams with a human player, the war/peace decisions should really be in the player's hand.

A better understanding of 'team' play is needed, in the 2 player co-op vs multiple teams (2 AI per team) of civs I have played we are nearly always quite far apart so understanding that what is good for you could be disastrous for your teammate.

There is no easy answer if you have a teammate who is not a team player, except get one who is.

PS I always seem to be the one that gets DoW by the AI early on :(

Top Bottom