What to do after Political philosophy?

zagosya

Chieftain
Hi, civfanatics!

I think in most games your usual early choice civic-wise is Political philosophy - it allows you to establish governments with all of their perks (more card slots, more points towards envoys, inherent bonuses to combat strength or great people and so on)

If so, what to do after? The choices are:
1) Go back to Games and recreation to build entertainment districts or Drama and poetry for theatre squares. The first option is kinda meh, because at this point you are hardly in need of additional amenities. Drama and poetry - may be, but it still seems pretty early to me. The amount of culture you get is not great, you will get more from city-states and monuments which are cheaper. Maybe I just haven't done a proper culture game yet.

2) Choose Defensive tactics and later Feudalism. Defensive tactics gives you Bastions card (bonus to city defense and city ranged attack) and Limes (+100% production towards defensive buildings).
Feudalsim is an interesting choice. It gives you first farm-adjacency bonus, eureka to Stirrups technology (knights tech) and unlocks Feudal contract (+50% production to medieval and renaissance era melee and ranged units) and Serfdom (two extra charges for builders). These are good choices however I tend to not build as many farms at this point of the game and prioritize mines and lumber mills
There is a "but" - it obsoletes two important earlier cards which I often use: Agoge (+50% production to ancient and classic era units) which means that it's now more expensive to spam archers and spears and Ilkum (+30% production to builders). In general, Serfdom is better than Ilkum but in my experience I don't know what to do with those 5-charged builders, I simply don't have that many tiles to improve near one city. And if you move builder around differnet cities more turns is lost for that movement, it's sometimes faster to use couple of cheap 3-charged builders than one 5-charged. What is your experience?

3) Go to Recorded history and later Civil service. Recorded history unlocks Great Library and Natural philosophy policy (+100% campus adjacency bonus). Civil service gives you Retainers card (+1 Amenity for garrisoned units) and Meritocracy (+1 culture for each district). The bonuses can be pretty strong if you have great land with good locations for campuses but the Inspiration for Civil service I find rather hard to get (grow a city to a 10 pop) because of housing restrictions. But if you don't have enough districts or suitable campuses than bonuses are really small.

In some cases of course you don't beeline Political philosophy. For example, if you're doing religion-focused game then your better choice is probably Theology and later Divine right for Theocracy government.
Or if you already have extra policy slots from unique abilities (Germany, Greece) and you go for early domination then you should probably go through upper-tree with Military training and Mercenaries.

The last option is to "dance around" these options until you get an Insipration boost for one of them.
289070_20161026120400_1.png

So, what is your opinion? What do you prefer researching at that particular moment?

If I'm building a religion, theology for apostles.

If not, feudalism for the 2 extra builder actions, one of my favorite policies. I don't worry about the boost if I'm not already close to 6 farms.

If I'm building a religion, theology for apostles.

If not, feudalism for the 2 extra builder actions, one of my favorite policies. I don't worry about the boost if I'm not already close to 6 farms.
Second this, I love to dive into Feudalism to get that Serfdom policy.

To me the next "goal post" is Feudalism. But with this being a goal post itself, I might check to see if I want to back fill a few cheap civics first that I didn't need back when I bypassed them.
Feudalism itself gets a boost for 6 farms, which is something the empire needs anyway (if you don't already have) and so it's always going to be half off.

Defensive Tactics boost (be target of a DOW) is difficulty level dependent. On a high enough difficulty level, it will happen automatically well before PP is discovered; and so it's easy to extend the beeline to Feudalism before backfilling.
On lower difficulty levels though you may find the AI more reluctant to DOW you and so are more likely to end up paying full price.

Last edited:
Depends. ;)

If you need the food or development feudalism is good. If you're a trader then merchants is good. If you're cultureal victory you might go for the theaters still. And religion as stated above.

Feudalism is good, but with an eye to carry on to mercenaries. The upgrade cost reduction is significant and I always find myself having to build an army because of how DoW happy the AI can be early on.

But with this being a goal post itself, I might check to see if I want to back fill a few cheap civics first that I didn't need back when I bypassed them

with the new information on district cost increase may be this is not such a great idea. I am thinking now of trying a game with straight beelining right into Ideology or Conservation for culture victory

with the new information on district cost increase may be this is not such a great idea. I am thinking now of trying a game with straight beelining right into Ideology or Conservation for culture victory
IIRC, the relevant factor is Max(Techs, Civics) -- so if your science is racing ahead of your culture, it doesn't matter if you backfill the civics.

Feudalism is good, but with an eye to carry on to mercenaries. The upgrade cost reduction is significant and I always find myself having to build an army because of how DoW happy the AI can be early on.

Yeah, another perk of Mercenaries is that it gives you 1 additional envoy which at this point may allow you pass that awkward 2-envoy phase and gain +2 culture/science/production or +4 gold not only in the capital but in all the relevant districts which can be a pretty good bonus if you go wide.

The problem may only be in case you already had to upgrade your archers into crossbowmen, so you actually don't need that card that much

IIRC, the relevant factor is Max(Techs, Civics) -- so if your science is racing ahead of your culture, it doesn't matter if you backfill the civics.

Oh, that is good to know. I thought it was (your techs)/(max techs) PLUS (your civics)/(max civics). Thanks for mentioning!

But if you're beelining expensive techs, you might not actually have that many science techs even with massive science.

After Political Philosophy I typically waste no time heading toward Exploration so I can become a Merchant Republic. If I have 2 Campuses with strong adjacency bonuses, I'll quickly grab Recorded History for the 100% adjacency policy (obviously that also means you have the Inspiration for it, so that won't take long.)

Otherwise, though, it's off to Merchant Republic, which is the second-tier government you want. The +2 trade routes is awesome. It also has a generous number of economic slots, and I think those tend to be the strongest policies.

Furthermore, the path to Merchant Republic is pretty quick and pretty helpful. The Mercenaries Inspiration (an army of 8 units) is a total gimme. This civic you the 50% off unit upgrades card, which is really handy for transitioning to Crossbowmen and/or Knights. For my style of play, Medieval Faires (4 trade routes) is a pretty easy Inspiration too, since I like to prioritize Commercial Hubs. I like the Medina Quarter policy that gives +2 housing. I don't find myself spamming that many farms, but even so, Feudalism is still useful for the +2 Builder charges policy. Building the 2 Caravels for Exploration is a pain though. Caravels cost 240 hammers apiece and sometimes I don't bother.

I think the stuff on the bottom half of the Civics tree is much less helpful.

It looks like:
District Main Cost = RoundDown(60 * (1 + P * 9)),
P = RoundDown(100*MAX(TechNum/67, CivicNum/50))/100;
Where 60 - base cost (normal speed), 67 - number of techs in the tree, 50 - number of civics in the tree.
If you have fewer of a given district than the average player has, that district's cost is reduced by 25% for you.
Unic district always costs 50%.

In simple words, district production cost increases depending on how many civics OR techs you have. If, let's say you have opened 33 techs and 30 civics then first number is taken into account and the second, lower one, is neglected

Top Bottom