What units do you miss?

Atlantean

Chieftain
Are there any units from preivous civs that you would have liked to have had in civ 4?

Not really. I almost never used the more specialized/gimmicky units like paratroopers. I can understand how some folks, who really liked those units, might miss them.

The great thing about the promotion system is that you can customize units in so many different ways. So there may be fewer "base" units the there are so many combinations possible that the true potential number of units is very high.

I miss the helecopters that could drop infantry behind enemy lines.
I had lots of fun suprising people with swarms of them dropping people everywhere and taking over strategic resorces.

AlazkanAssassin said:
I miss the helecopters that could drop infantry behind enemy lines.
I had lots of fun suprising people with swarms of them dropping people everywhere and taking over strategic resorces.

I so agree with that. I also miss Alpine Troops.

-the Wolf

Cruise missles

Even modern era ships like a Nimitz class carrier have a reason to fear these.

TomSawyer said:
Cruise missles

Even modern era ships like a Nimitz class carrier have a reason to fear these.

:goodjob: How true, and the ICBM size wise looks more like a Cruise missle than an ICBM.

I definitely don't miss the paratroopers. The AI used to really cheese it out with those.

Maybe an intermediate siegeweapon between catapult and cannon. The cannon seems to arrive very late in the game.

I can't recall the name, but there was this medieval siegeweapon that could launch very large stones using a counterweight system.

And some sort of light cavalry (scouts) that could move three squares, but with lower strength.

Caravans. I guess I'm the only one, but I liked finding my own trade routes and getting the big pay-off in money and research when you did it just right.

I also miss Civ-2 spies, it was nice to have more espionage options and to not have to pay 2000 gold to set your opponent's production back 2 turns.

Paratroopers.

I miss those uber phalanx from Civ1 that could destroy entire battleships with just spears.

Harry Haller said:
Caravans. I guess I'm the only one, but I liked finding my own trade routes and getting the big pay-off in money and research when you did it just right.

I also miss Civ-2 spies, it was nice to have more espionage options and to not have to pay 2000 gold to set your opponent's production back 2 turns.

Paratroopers.

Great Merchants work the same as Civ2's caravans.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I don't understand the reason they decided to have fewer units than in Civ III.

I personally miss the nuclear missile subs and the tactical nukes. No more Red October scenarios...

I miss the Ottoman's siphai. They were my civ-killing unit during the middle portion of the game and I could usually wipe out everyone until I finally got tanks, where I could then finish any persistent annoyances off.

But have cruise missiles really had that much of an impact on warfare, to warrant their inclusion in the game?

To my mind they are more of a novelty act.

Sort of a revenge weapon politicians use when they want to please the generals, without having to really commit themselves to anything.

Add me to the missing cruise missiles and nuclear subs with tactical nukes. I'd always have a bunch of subs with the tactical nuke on board sitting just outside every civs coastline. That way I was always assured of a nuclear counter-attack if the AI launched a surprise nuke attack on me. I also miss the worker action to create an airfield. That option was great for D-Day types of invasions, especially when the enemy cities were well fortified.

Skirmisher said:
Maybe an intermediate siegeweapon between catapult and cannon. The cannon seems to arrive very late in the game.

I can't recall the name, but there was this medieval siegeweapon that could launch very large stones using a counterweight system.

And some sort of light cavalry (scouts) that could move three squares, but with lower strength.

Are you talking about Trebuchet?

Top Bottom