What's the value of trading post?

dickens

Chieftain
Trading post only give 1 additional money. Farm can give 2 additional food if built in river. Mine also only gives 1 additional production, but production is rare, so additional one is important.

So I think trading post is worthless and never build it. Can someone tell me what's the value of trading post?

There are tons of easy ways to get more food. Particularly city-states.
Trading posts boost your money-making ability, and even moreso during Golden Ages which tend to be fairly frequent.
There comes a time in a city's lifespan when you don't need or even want more food.
There's never a time when you don't need/want more money.

They give 2 gold (not 1).. 3 if near a river.

1. Grab the best green areas you can find (because 2f tiles can support themselves)
2.. plaster it with trading posts
3. build all the gold multipliers you can (they have no maintenance.. so its win win)
4. profit

The best approach is to first go would with more farms than trading posts.. that way you can grow onto alot of tiles quickly. then start replacing them with trading posts until you are food neutral or still have some extra food left over. Throw up a mine or two for when the city needs to build things.

Obivously dont do this in every city though. You still need dedicated prodcutions centers for troops, wonders, & ships etc. Also have atleast one food heavy city for max pop with science buildings to run the max number of scientists for the entire game for great scientists.

Trading posts actually give +2 gold, not +1.

Gold is a bit of a big deal in this game imo. For me my general rule has been to just farm riverside (especially if I tech Civil Service), mine whatever hills around, and otherwise put trading posts on any vanilla +2 food tiles.

Trading posts give two gold, not one. Anyway, gold is most valuable when used as gifts to city-states, in order to gain food and culture. If you have at least 4 cities in your empire, building trading posts and gifting the gold to maritime city-states will give you more food than building farms.

Gold is huge in Civ V. However, I don't like the idea of farming a city SPECIFICALLY just for gold production. I don't think that's how it should work.

I think they're sometimes worth building, especially for those useless cities and puppets.

Regardless, I miss the old cottages :(

There's also a policy you can get that adds +1 lightbulb for every trading post. It says +2 in the info but only adds +1 when you adopts the policy. I'm thinking its a typo on the info cause +2 would seem a bit OP. If you build a trading post on top of a jungle in a city with a university thats 2 food 2 gold 3 bulbs from one tile.

There's also a policy you can get that adds +1 lightbulb for every trading post. It says +2 in the info but only adds +1 when you adopts the policy. I'm thinking its a typo on the info cause +2 would seem a bit OP. If you build a trading post on top of a jungle in a city with a university thats 2 food 2 gold 3 bulbs from one tile.

yeah, this typo really cost me in a recent multi match. its also strange how jungle is a positive now and not something that needs to be chopped asap.

yeah, this typo really cost me in a recent multi match. its also strange how jungle is a positive now and not something that needs to be chopped asap.

More of a neutral. Chopping jungle turns it into plains, which means you can get some much needed production by getting rid of the jungle. I've usually been leaving it, but there are circumstances in which it's worth chopping.

Top Bottom