What's your record for consecutive negative random events?

D64

Chieftain
I have shattered my old record and the streak in my current game is FOURTEEN.

OK, I'm lying. I never noticed it before. But 14 straight bad events? What is the game trying to tell me, here? :)

I don't think I ever got that many events in a game, at least not in a single gaming session.

made some changes of my own to the events - wrote about it here on the R:I forum ( https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/realism-invictus.411799/page-430#post-16308900 ). Guess my co-players of this mod think I'm totally crazy (I might be).........

See HERE is some disasters, that hurts:

Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0075.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0076.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0071.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0072.JPG

Why do I do this?

Well I like to see "Mother Nature" act hostile as only she can do it. To give the game some extra "spices" so to say.

Last edited:
The reason I won't play with events on in most games is simply because they skew negative (like human-AI diplomacy in the long term, bleh) yet the conditions for positive events often seem less likely to trigger. And the really good positive events come with strings attached, like Sports League, but the negative ones just happen. And happen. And happen.

Also there's the greater human perception bias on negative event outcomes. Still, getting slave revolts repeatedly that just hand me city anarchy or extra unhappiness seems a lot more harsh than getting a single tile yield increased or +2 health in a city or +x amount of beakers once is beneficial.

I hate feeling like random negative events are holding part of my treasury hostage just to fricken mitigate their BS. It's like the how the AI will start demanding gold if you stockpile it, givng you the "option" of either surrendering your gold or taking a diplo hit for nothing out of it on your end....real gutpunch.

Ten passenger airline crashes went negative in a row once, but with various Civ. I get that event probably 30 times a game on average and I don’t understand why. I think I want to turn it off. But then I get a boon +1 that saves me and decide not to…

Ten passenger airline crashes went negative in a row once, but with various Civ. I get that event probably 30 times a game on average and I don’t understand why. I think I want to turn it off. But then I get a boon +1 that saves me and decide not to…
I newer understood the point of those events. Like what possible benefit is there to having +1 :) in a city for 10 or so turns? By the time you grow the extra pop to take advantage of that half of it is over. And it's not like 10 turns is much at all when the game lasts 1000 or so.

If anything those events do harm because at the end of them I am stuck with 1 :( in a city that I have to manage which I didn't have before.

Any bonus that is not permanent is more harm than good in the long term.

If anything those events do harm because at the end of them I am stuck with 1 :( in a city that I have to manage which I didn't have before.

Hmmmm yes. Grumpy and ungrateful townspeople can be hard to get rid of.

I newer understood the point of those events. Like what possible benefit is there to having +1 :) in a city for 10 or so turns? By the time you grow the extra pop to take advantage of that half of it is over. And it's not like 10 turns is much at all when the game lasts 1000 or so.

Any bonus that is not permanent is more harm than good in the long term.
Exactly. This is something that has struck me upon revisiting Civ IV in earnest recently, I do not like most of the BTS features. Events are annoying, I don't care for corporations, espionage is tedious and the AI spam me with it, and the Apostolic Palace is one of those things that either you build it or hope the AI doesn't use it to block every move you make (returning cities you conquer the next turn, forcing peace, civics, etc.).

Frankly, since I either don't like or can't disable these features (or in the case of Espionage turning it off wrecks the culture aspect) I would just as well abandon BTS if it didn't have so many under the hood improvements and mods. I did play a game without events today, and it was a nice break. Likewise I had to take control of the Palace and just shot down every offer to propose a resolution, but adds to the tedium. Perhaps an unpopular opinion, from a Civ III fanatic I did not feel this way about Conquests and I think every expansion for V was a direct improvement.

Sometimes events can be pretty hilarious. The natural disaster ones are the most boring. The quest ones are pretty fun though. They add some nice flavor to games if you're trying to roleplay on some lower difficulties. I wouldn't do events on Immortal unless I liked getting punched in the balls.

Exactly. This is something that has struck me upon revisiting Civ IV in earnest recently, I do not like most of the BTS features. Events are annoying, I don't care for corporations, espionage is tedious and the AI spam me with it, and the Apostolic Palace is one of those things that either you build it or hope the AI doesn't use it to block every move you make (returning cities you conquer the next turn, forcing peace, civics, etc.).
A lot of general opinion around here is the same for lots of players. To the extent that turning off events is just the standard meta, and the other three are largely ignored unless the AI forces you to deal with them (AP resolution spam, etc). Personally the only attention I pay to any of these "features" is planning to raze the AP city if one of the AIs is particularly being a dick with it.

If events weren't overwhelmingly negative at random and so conditional for positive effects, they might actually feel fair or at least...novel. As they are though they are just an unnecessary annoyance that seems to be there to increase the chaotic factor similar to religion.

What I find so funny about it is attitude matters so little for AI-AI interactions anyway, peace weight and proximity are by far the biggest factors that drive AIs to war, so things like events and religons are only really there to make things harder to control for human player by making things less predictable.

I like religions, espionage and the rest though. It's just the vanilla events that aren't good. Hell, FFH has some great events because they just did it right. So it's not even the system and idea that's broken, just the implementation.

Top Bottom