• the peaceful type?

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • the expansionist type?

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

Red Ant

Chieftain
Hi all, :)

Just wondering what everybodies style of playing is. Are you the Atilla the Hun type who likes to overrun any opposition at the earliest possible oportunity or are you more the peaceful type who wants to see his civilization prosper above all other things?

Personally I fit into the last category. I usually rapidly found 6 to 8 cities before 1000 BC as the core of my civilization. If I'm alone on a continent I try to clog up the entire place with cities so that no other cic can gain a foothold there. If I'm on a continent together with another nation I seek to establish a well defendable border and fortify it. After that my expansion is by and large restricted to colonizing some small nearby islands so as to create little protective shield around the heartland of my nation. I concentrate on science, wonders and improvements and I start building irrigations and roads immidiately after founding my second city (I strive to have one settler per city). My military is purely defensive until the modern age. From then on I sorta adopt a policing role. What that means is that whenever a civilization becomes too weak and is about to be trashed by a more powerful civilzation I try to intervene on behalf of the underdog and severely kick the bully's butt. I don't conquer any of his cities, though but rather help my ally conquer them until some sort of balance of power has been reached. Kinda like Uncle Sam I suppose. :D

I never conquer other civilizations as I want to have as many rivalling nations in the game as possible. In fact I would love to have far more than only 7 nations in the game.

I have to say that I'm very frustrated with the AI's irrational behaviour. Seems they just can't stand being at peace with me for a few turns. No, they ALWAYS have to make completely irrational demands even though I could mercilessly crush them in less than 5 turns if I wanted to. And then those stupid surprise attacks all the time. What the f***?? I support them with generous gifts of gold since they're to dumb to get their civilization going and they thank me by putting a knife in my back for no reason at all?? :mad:
I dunno, but it seems to me that whoever programmed the AI must be suffering from an acute case of paranoia and should see a psychologist about it real quick! :eek:

Oh well, let's hear your strategies.

It all depends on the map and my mood.
If I get a close neighbour who doesnt understand im superior (paying tribute) well then he is just in my way and I usually go for early conquest. If I feel I have enough land I usually dont bother fighting with them untill later if I ever go to war.

I will not tolerate any AI cities on the same continent as my capital, or if there are, then they'd better be miles away. I fit into both your categories: I spread out towards the enemy and then either take their cities or fortify in defensible positions, and then fill in the gaps I've left so that my civ fills the whole continent. I will not usually engage in late-game warfare until I have either used up all the possible expansion space and want even more cities, or I have already built my SS and just want to have some fun with the other civs before I launch. It is easy to wage war with stealths and marines and spies and still develop your land with farms and railroads.

Usually i pump out settlers as hard as i can with the exceptional pause for elephants and catapults if i run into an enemy until i've conquered the entire island, then i develop every terrain square to its full extent, and build evrry building in every city and have two riflemen and a sentried howistzer in each city, then i sit there for a while :mad:

Originally posted by kmad
Usually i pump out settlers as hard as i can with the exceptional pause for elephants and catapults if i run into an enemy until i've conquered the entire island, then i develop every terrain square to its full extent, and build evrry building in every city and have two riflemen and a sentried howistzer in each city, then i sit there for a while :mad:

I agree with most of this except for:

• I rarely, if ever use catapults
  • Every building is usually not needed and is wasted money in maintanence
  • For the frowning face you tried to do, try this: >: (
    (note the space)

Btw, welcome to CFC!

;)

Originally posted by ren

I agree with most of this except for:

• I rarely, if ever use catapults
  • Every building is usually not needed and is wasted money in maintanence
  • For the frowning face you tried to do, try this: >: (
    (note the space)

Btw, welcome to CFC!

;)

Why don't you use catapults?I find them quite useful for knocking on the gates of enemy cities;"Excuse me is their any body home!"

[dance] :beer: [dance]

Playing on a large map with tons of land, I don't build my capital untill about 2000BCE.This way by exploring and finding goody huts and with a little luck I can huge a huge army requiring no support.Also this gives me time to irrigate and mine around the best available site for a city.Then find the biggest civ and take it out( not the easiest part).I always play for world conquest.Except those days I feel kind.

:groucho:

I Don't fight menny wars in the bigining.
But when I have bilt upp A strong civ whit big
citys A strong army and economy THE war bigins.
Mostly this war starts verry late in the game, 1850-1950,.

I always like to grab as much land as possible...Then I find out that the computer is jealous so I have to wipe them out and take over all their cities...

Since the beginning I look for huts to discover a 2 movements/turn unit and then I eradicate all Ai cities in y continent.Once this acomplished I colonize other continents using trirems/diplomats to bribe cities and units with the gold I earn in republic or democracy.I still use gold*2 option(no incidents).
I have always a war to win against AI.But I never destroy a civilization I take its capital and let it perish on an island :lol:
Betweenn 1600 and1700 AD my power is supreme with my 200 cities and a maximum of 10 AI cities(I play at emperor level not deity I don't like the way AI cheats)

Nothin's better than expansion in civilization:egypt:

I am a peaceful expansionist who waits for war in the modern era because it is more interesting that way.

I tend to quietly develop in a corner until someone comes over to bother me. Once I run out of things to build & new fascinations, then I'll think about visiting my neighbors :ripper:

I'm a peaceful expansionist, I try to expand my empire as much as possible, but do not like getting into wars unless necessary. Sometimes you have to elininate a civ early on to get the continent to yourself, but once that is done I'm relatively happy. Then they insist on landing in your territory, attacking your troops, stealing techs, until you are forced to send out an invasion force and destroy them utterly. If they left me alone then I would leave them alone, but it never works out like that does it.

ferenginar

I used to be a peaceful guy, who even didn't build too many cities so the tohers wouldn't see him as a thread.....many times I was crushed......
The change came just after I discovered this site, I hadn't played a long time (6 months or so) and was getting back to the game.....:lol: GotM probably made to what I am today, actually I'm sure of it......now my main goal always is conquest....I have to check when the lst time was I didn't finish conquest in GotM :p :lol:

I rarely fight wars. Instead, I focus on founding and improving cities. My military is usually limited to about two defensive units per city. But, then, maybe this is because I'm not very good at Civ2 warfare, and can't seem to take many cities.

I use the expansionist strategy, and i'm not regreted.
I expand my territory till i find some other civ and, if possible, i'll kick him to space.
The main objective in a city is its development, so i can gain tech and better units to conquer other civs easily.
As the game advances i'm waging war far away from my peacefull, developed homeland. New conquered territories are developed to.
I just don't understand is way the AI don't surrender and offer their cities when my civ is much more developed then theirs!!:lol:

Originally posted by gatomarado
I just don't understand is way the AI don't surrender and offer their cities when my civ is much more developed then theirs!!:lol:

Why does the AI not surrender?
I believe someone once put their position forth very succintly:
"Though Birnam Wood be come to Dunsinane, and thou opposed be not of woman born, yet I shall try the last. Lay on Macduff, and damned be he who first cries 'Hold, enough!'"

Top Bottom