When a civilization demands to declare war or for 20 turns of peace, the peace should be bilateral

DeAnno

King
Almost everyone is probably irritated with the AI and their propensity to get annoyed with your troops and ask you to either declare war or make a fairly strong diplo guarantee of 20 peace turns for the smallest of offenses. Sometimes an AI even somehow moves enough troops near the human to let you trigger this demand yourself. There can be arguments about how many troops should be required to trigger such a thing, and right now it's probably tuned too sensitive, but I do think it belongs in the game.

However, the unfair part of it is that an AI can make this demand of you, you can agree to peace and move your troops away to do something else, and then the AI can attack you 10 turns later. This is absolutely unfair IMO: if you make such a demand and the other party says they have no ill intentions, you should also be bound to the same 20 turns of peace, so the other civ can move its troops away to do something else as well.

Not so sure I'm on board with this. If you call out an AI for doing it and they say they're just passing through, you'd be bound to peace just because of the way the AI responded. And what if you already promised someone else you'd go to war with that civ in a few turns? In that case you'd also wind up backstabbing/getting a big diplo penalty with the civ who requested your military aid. Again, just because of the AI's response.

Keep in mind that promising not to declare war on an AI doesn't mean you have to move your own troops - only that you can't begin the war yourself, assuming that you definitely don't want the backstabbing penalty.

Not so sure I'm on board with this. If you call out an AI for doing it and they say they're just passing through, you'd be bound to peace just because of the way the AI responded. And what if you already promised someone else you'd go to war with that civ in a few turns? In that case you'd also wind up backstabbing/getting a big diplo penalty with the civ who requested your military aid. Again, just because of the AI's response.
I'd say that that IS backstabbing anyway. Calling someone out for preparing war against you when you yourself are preparing for war against them is absolutely a dishonest move.

Keep in mind that promising not to declare war on an AI doesn't mean you have to move your own troops - only that you can't begin the war yourself, assuming that you definitely don't want the backstabbing penalty.

Especially when playing Authority your troops are very busy and often have a lot of important things to do. If a neighbor is hostile, they can't just sit there guarding the border, they want to either be fighting a war or gathering tribute/killing barbs/farming City States etc. The current situation is such that if you get flagged for just passing through, you either need to go to war anyway, or leave yourself in a lopsided situation where your neighbor doesn't have to watch his back but your troops are pinned to defend against the threat of his attack.

I'd say that that IS backstabbing anyway. Calling someone out for preparing war against you when you yourself are preparing for war against them is absolutely a dishonest move.
Definitely not in diplomacy and not in real life. Britain preparing for war with Hitler's Germany after Munich while calling out Germany for doing the same aren't equal. Nor is US embargoing selling petroleum to Japan, which was invading China, while having Land-Lease and gearing for war themselves. Peaceful tradition civ who wants to reclaim its city/resource is not backstabbing if it attacked after asking warmonger if he's gonna attack. Anyway the asking side is never saying it means no ill will, it is only responder who promises peace.

But it should be 10 turns at maximum, even better 8.

The current situation is such that if you get flagged for just passing through, you either need to go to war anyway, or leave yourself in a lopsided situation where your neighbor doesn't have to watch his back but your troops are pinned to defend against the threat of his attack.
I'm not sure I get your point here. You are not forced to do anything. If you plan on declaring war on them in the near future, just stay away from their borders in the meantime. If you approach their borders anyway and tell them that you're just passing through, your troops are not pinned down there, because that answer to them doesn't increase the chance that they will attack you.

Top Bottom