When do you ragequit?

Start as indoneisa, realize I'm alone on a landmass with Venice and there aren't even any islands nearby to settle...and there is no iron. :gripe:

This. I DESPERATELY want to be able to label areas of the map as i explore them. I'd love for battles and city placement to have some deeper meaning and background more than simply "ooh, resources! plop"

That. Would be awesome. In my head I always label the river next to Egypt the Nile, and the one next o Beijing Yellow River. Wish they would let us make labels and .

Starting a peaceful game as Shoshone, having a great start, but ALL the considerable spots around were city-states. City-States made a complete circle around me.
Playing Venice with not a single city-state or civilization to trade with around.

that moment when you build a wonder with an engineer just to see it stolen from the ai after pressing "turn"

Egregious misclicks will do it for me. Cities in the wrong square, running workers at barbs instead of away, and clicking the wrong SPs.

I have a tendancy to be a chronic restarter. If a starting position isn't good enough, I always restart.

I definetly feel the pain of barbs plunding trade routes though. It's ridiculous. I don't remember barb camps spawn this often in G&K. It makes it very difficult to get your feet on the ground not have your science suffer as a result of not being able to make money.

I always play on Prince, but I have this odd feeling that I'm just being spoiled when I rage quit because I know there are hardcore players out there that play on much higher difficulty settings and have a much tougher time early-mid game but refuse to quit and amazingly are able to turn their games around. I wish I was that badass.

I read an article awhile back on how ragequitting/restart in Civ is sort of like having a relationship. In the beginning, it's easy to be idealistic and imagine your perfect starting position or game or whatever, but as the game throws you more hard balls, the game becomes more realistic and you actually have to deal with your problems. I mean, I want a challenging game. I don't mind being thrown a couple of hard balls. But when you're going for a culture victory and the AI literally beats you to every single tourism/great works wonder (managing to complete them on the same turn you've unlocked them) you begin to seriously question if you're just wasting your time in that particular game.

Personally I am with Iry and chemical toilet. I quit when I suddenly find another civ declaring war and amassing an immense amount of units near my cities (my fault for building a skeletal army), or when I find a start with endless desert or little luxury resources ( I am a poor enough player without the aid of a poor location start:).

^^I've quit when I've got a great desert start and am one turn away from grabbing the desert folklore pantheon, especially when the AI who got it first only has one or two desert tiles :(

Egregious misclicks will do it for me. Cities in the wrong square, running workers at barbs instead of away, and clicking the wrong SPs.

My god, yes. Call me dumb but misclicking because the damn game keeps insisting on selecting that one, wrong, un-used unit happens at least once every game to me.

a couple of things push my buttons.

The main one is when you have spent 40 turns building a wonder and 1 turn before you have it another civ has built it. grrrr.

Another is, it seems like when you are killing a barbarian encampment for a city state quest with an archer, all the other civ worriers hover around and when you have killed the last barb, they then swoop in and get the gold AND city state alliance. double grr!

that moment when you build a wonder with an engineer just to see it stolen from the ai after pressing "turn"

Oh man! I've been there :( :(

@sarah_aus: Yup--that is very annoying. They hover around like vultures! I'm like "why am I doing all the work?"

I usually just walk my archer away and go back a turn or two later after the vultures leave. Then I finish the job.

I hate reloading games, so I always ragequit when I notice stupid mistakes I made, especially if it was on a good map.

Just there I spent about 30 turns thinking I had built National College, only to randomly notice that it was still buildable with one turn left to go ... I must have settled my second city the turn before it was due to be complete. I did actually think that I was teching slower than I should have been. I had a peninsula start with 5 fish, 2 wheat, and 4 wine in my workable area. It was an awesome capital, and I just couldn't play on with that mistake nagging at me :(

I ragequit when I can't benefit from a civ's bonuses at all (e.g. not being able to found a religion as Byzantium).

Throughout my time playing Civilization (from 2 to 5), I've only begun to ragequit during BNW. The only thing that sparks it is combat. I've often built up a more than adequate military to siege an enemy capital, worked it down to 0 health, and always had my melee units wiped out by the city + a CB/Crossbowman. I can't ever seem to just CAPTURE the city - after that fails, and I try to bring more melee units, all my siege and ranged are destroyed (1-2 per turn) and I realize I've just wasted 30+ turns focusing on siegeing an impenetrable city.

This has happened thrice:
-Siegeing Beijing, London, and Onondaga

In fact I just rage quitted. I tried to play Brazil with Renaissance start just to try their UUs and UA. Well it didnt really work. Might have been bad starting location that caused this game to fail so hard - not enough production.

Couple of Ai Civs (India and Babylonia) just out-teched me very fast and allied all the nearby city states. Then they both declared war on me and I didnt have a real army at that point. Then I just quit.

It might be that the late starts are harder, because when I play normal ancient start I always beat the game on Emperor.

I don't usually base my strategies around wonders anymore so it isn't much of a problem.

However, one time I was india and spawned right in between Askia and Montezuma...that game ended quickly. It was like a turn 50 rush, too, no time to prepare.

Other than that, I don't really quit over compulsive desires to get certain things.

The Great Library has been built in a faraway land!
The Hanging Gardens has been built in a faraway land!
The Petra has been built by Iroquois!

Seriously, if I lose all three wonders, I would just ragequit and forget about Civ V for like, 20 minutes.

The Great Library has been built in a faraway land!
The Hanging Gardens has been built in a faraway land!
The Petra has been built by Iroquois!

Seriously, if I lose all three wonders, I would just ragequit and forget about Civ V for like, 20 minutes.

Just had exactly this happen five minutes ago. Which is why I'm on the forum instead of in game.

1. I beeline Civil Service as Brazil, but "Chichen Itza has been built in a far away land"
2. Friendly civ DOWing me and infesting my territory with 15-20 units.
3. Finding Huns on the 2nd turn

Top Bottom