• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

When the AI is converted? I am missing something?

luvencedus

Chieftain
I've posted this questions on reddit, but want to ask here also.

Are there any prerequisites to convert AI other than majority of cities to be converted?
I am playing against Spain (which had their own religion), all cities on entire map have my religion, but still it doesn't seem to convert them. There is still "religious differences" diplo modifier and no bonus from Shared Religion for tourism (it is not even there with grey text, it's just missing).
For other civs it worked and they happily adopted my religion.

Capture their Holy site, send an Inquisitor there, give it back => their religion is not considered in the game any more (noone can reclaim it, but it can still have followers). That's the only way to do it.

if they own a holy city they won't convert

Oh, so this explains why I wasn't getting the shared religion bonus against some civs in my latest game. This doesn't feel right, there should be a check/event like ReligionDefeated which occurs when a religion does not have a majority in any city, hence cannot generate missionaries and declines slowly.

You can always get a prophet with enough faith, so you religion can come back. Prophets are always of the religion you founded (you can't get prophets if you didn't found/stole btw).
But yes, it can be very frustrating. The only way is to conquer the Holy City and inquisite it.

I wasn't getting the shared religion bonus against some civs in my latest game. This doesn't feel right
I feel like this is an oversight/bug, because these civs will get extra votes for following the world religion. So to be consistent they should also feel the tourism modifier, I feel.

I feel like this is an oversight/bug, because these civs will get extra votes for following the world religion
Because the world religion description explicitly refers to "Civilizations who have a majority of the cities in their empire following the religion" instead of "Civilizations who have the religion as their Primary Religion".

Ok, I've checked it out and indeed when Civ controls Holy City, it won't convert to other religion (no diplo bonus, tourist bonus available etc.).
If Holy City is conquered (by player or other civ) then founding civilization is becoming "religion-less" and can adopt some other religion.

Top Bottom