when you realise youve made some bad calls

craney1987

Warlord
so I've come to the era where you get infantry ( is this modern? I cant remember right now) and have come to realise I've made a series of bad calls up to this point. On an islands map where space is limited I've saved hexes for wonders I couldn't build as I forgot some requirements (ruhr valley, no river. Grand Zimbabwe, sheep not cattle) I was originally planning on a cultural win only to be distracted by barbs and not yet built enough cultural districts'. I've for some reason thought I'd claim like five tiny islands within a short space of time around my main island to put up encampments to hurt Sumerian troops if they continue their run onto me ( no production from ocean everything there costs way too many cogs. No Ai uses ships. a few frigates would have done the same job)
now I'm thinking f*** it. I'll go domination, except that normally id have like to already had a couple of civs knocked over early game and feel like im playing a ridiculous amount of catch up.

my question is have you ever felt like you've completely screwed yourself out of a win and What was your reaction?

Haha, something tells me most peoples reaction will be the same - an ai civ ends up getting wiped out. I would love to sit in on an ai discussion group of wiped out ai leaders from past games.

In a civ iii game I had a stack of artillery, maybe 50 or so, sitting on some rail near my capital undefended. I went against my normal protocol and opened bordered an ai...

Current game Germany built the Hagia Sophia on me. I consider that my personal wonder. I had a 3 charge great engineer sitting unused, too. My reaction was to suck it up - and try to appreciate the variety and natural development of the game. But there was a 5 minute delay while my hand was frozen on the mouse and I warred with my impulse to reload.

I would love to sit in on an ai discussion group of wiped out ai leaders from past games.

haha. We complain about Ai being crazy.

"there was this one time, I built hagia Sophia. Agonistes just went bat horsehocky crazy and wiped me out. It was one wonder. I wish the devs would fix these human players. One wonder should not mean they declare war!" Haha

I refuse to reload. That's what makes this one hurt so much for me. The urge to reload is SO STRONG. It's killing me

I don't reload, but I do ragequit and start new games if the barbs are too annoying. Like earlier today, I was playing with sound off, as I was, very much focused on my future, playing in the lecture room. So, what happened? I missed a camp for a few turns, as there was no sound to warn me it had spawned, by the time I noticed it and had a warrior there, it had started spawning horsemen...

I had one game as Sumeria where I was decent. I was not leading in any of the victory types, but nor was I doing bad in those areas. I started over as I figured I could not catch up in Science or Culture.

I also quite my first science victory attempt when I had researched Rocketry and then realized just how much production you needed for a science victory. My best production city was somewhere around 45...

I also quite my first science victory attempt when I had researched Rocketry and then realized just how much production you needed for a science victory. My best production city was somewhere around 45...

I keep reading this on these boards: how long it takes to build the spaceport projects. Last science victory I did all parts took 10 turns a piece. Have a city with a fully developed IZ and have all your traderoutes leave from this city with the Ecommerce policy should be enough to do it in a timely matter.

I keep reading this on these boards: how long it takes to build the spaceport projects. Last science victory I did all parts took 10 turns a piece. Have a city with a fully developed IZ and have all your traderoutes leave from this city with the Ecommerce policy should be enough to do it in a timely matter.

Oh, certainly. In my second attempt I had a city that needed some 6 turns for a spaceport project. But the thing is, you first have to know how much it actually costs before you actually prepare a city for it. In this second case I was looking around late renaissance/early industrial era, noticed that one of my cities had quite a few hills, so I built Ruhr Valley there and then improved every single tile the city had, and then ended up with a 130 (when I built Spaceport) and later 180 production powerhouse. Plus I liberated a city (playing Australia) to speed it up a bit in the end.

so I've come to the era where you get infantry ( is this modern? I cant remember right now) and have come to realise I've made a series of bad calls up to this point. On an islands map where space is limited I've saved hexes for wonders I couldn't build as I forgot some requirements (ruhr valley, no river. Grand Zimbabwe, sheep not cattle) I was originally planning on a cultural win only to be distracted by barbs and not yet built enough cultural districts'. I've for some reason thought I'd claim like five tiny islands within a short space of time around my main island to put up encampments to hurt Sumerian troops if they continue their run onto me ( no production from ocean everything there costs way too many cogs. No Ai uses ships. a few frigates would have done the same job)
now I'm thinking f*** it. I'll go domination, except that normally id have like to already had a couple of civs knocked over early game and feel like im playing a ridiculous amount of catch up.

my question is have you ever felt like you've completely screwed yourself out of a win and What was your reaction?

Emperor difficulty. Every time I founded a religion, it quickly became apparent those vital early game resources could have been far, far better spent. Three turns after founding, squeeze out a couple of missionaries - and get bumrushed by an insane number of rival apostles, cranked out by AI civs who have twice as many cities as I do and have squatted all the best land. Start again.

Every time I founded a religion, it quickly became apparent those vital early game resources could have been far, far better spen

this was another mistake I made. I founded a religion half heartedly. Wasted resources.
I couldn't remember the last time I'd founded a religion and thought maybe I should try add this to my game.

there was a reason I'd left it alone

When I realize that things aren't going the way that I planned and my intended victory condition isn't going to work, I do two things:

-look at the other options and see which one is most feasible, and would that be easier than just continuing on the path that I'm on, but more importantly....

-look at the victory conditions screen and see who is most likely to win before me, then stop them.

Science is usually my backup victory condition, yes it requires that you have a crazy amount of production, but I gear all my games to maximize that yield anyway so that usually isn't a problem... come to think of it, if you're not organizing your empire to try to maximize production, that may be why things aren't going your way in the first place. Culture and religion (especially religion) are victory conditions that usually don't work out too well when you you start going for something else and then shift to them. Actually culture can work, mostly because it's one of the easier conditions to hit; the fact that people accidentally win a culture victory when going for a different victory condition is proof of that. However, you often don't have the theaters set up right for it, but if you're ok with resort/national park tourism exclusively, it can be a back door victory. Domination is always a good backup plan as well.

so I've come to the era where you get infantry ( is this modern? I cant remember right now) and have come to realise I've made a series of bad calls up to this point. On an islands map where space is limited

At least Island plates is one of the easier late game domination maps with Battleships/Missile Cruisers. Build up a navy and take down those capitals outside of their range to return fire. If you're lucky most should be within reach of the coast.
Any chance of building the Venetian Arsenal?

Practically every game I play at King. Which is kind of the point of playing at that level...

Pretty much got the wonders down at this point though, at least in terms of making sure I've got the terrain for them.

Being able to build them is still hit or miss as I don't consistently have production powerhouses. I'm too enamored with having multiple strong cities so have a tendency to spread my trade routes around too much.

That includes finding a great ruhr valley/petra site for a second/third city and the accompanying 5 minutes of cool down time if I get beat to either one because I didn't want an OP cap with satellites there only to feed it.

Currently focused on a religion game and Germany DOWs and pillages me. So I take a 50 turn detour building out military infrastructure/units so I can pillage him to the stone ages so he'll concede the tiny useless city of Dortmund that annoys me because its in the middle of "my" land.

Still losing games on King because I completely lose the plot.

Top Bottom