1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where did this Samurai fishing boat idea come from?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kamex, Oct 2, 2013.

1. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

But when the Samurai army have taken some land, perhaps undeveloped, perhaps plundered, they can take a rest, relax and eat some fish.

2. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

Being a Buddhist culture encouraging to "think twice" before eating meat dishes, someone in Japan thought up of a brilliant idea to eat fish instead of animals. It's not that hard to come up with it since Japan is an island. A lot of African cuisine does not include fish because it's easier to run after animals on land.

3. Atinuviel

Atinuviel Chieftain

I think it's a fun idea that could enable Japan to go decently wide somewhere in the mid-game. On a map there always seem to be tiny islands with a single lux, surrounded by a decent amount of atolls and fishes and whatnot. It was always a pain having to get those random cities started due to having to build fishing boats and whatnot. Now you can simply send a Samurai with the settler to quickly work whatever Sea Resource tiles there are.

4. kamex

kamex Chieftain

I don't think a one off legend justifies a change to a 'regular' infantry unit. Thats like giving Hoplites divine abilities based on Greek mythology.

Agreed.

Your welcome. I think your suggestion is the best buff for the Japanese UA I have seen.

Exactly, so the new UA is already counter productive. They could just forget the Samurai thing all together and buff the work boats / atolls further by giving them +1 hammer or food also.

5. isau

isau Warlord

Move Samurai from Steel to Compass. Keep the Iron requirement. No need to make them "replace" Longswords if there's a tech limitation on moving a unique unit from the same space on the tech tree as its base.

This would allow Japan to follow a much more logical tech path. They would need to grab Bronze Working and Iron Working at some point, but they'd get to Samurais somewhat faster and evade the issue that Longswords get obsoleted so fast. It would also put Samurai exactly one tech on the tree behind the tech that grants the water embark promotion.

EDIT: While we're at it, move Danish Berserkers from Steel to Metal Casting.

6. ixias

ixias Chieftain

I think some people are confused about how to best utilize the Samurai's new ability. For your core cities, absolutely build/buy workboats ASAP for the added benefits. I have a game now as Japan where I went Tradition, got my core 4, built/bought workboats, then for my newer cities, used my Samurai to build the workboats. It allowed me to focus on other buildings in these new cities, which is very helpful.

This is also great for puppets since they will never produce a workboat, nor can you buy one there. It's not supposed to be the main way you hook up your resources though. The argument that you have to go out of your way for Samurai so you can make workboats it's just silly. Again, it's mostly for secondary cities.

7. isau

isau Warlord

That just doesn't sound very useful to me next to the buffs received by other unique units in the game given what you have to do to get it. Steel is an awkward, late Medieval tech on the opposite side of the tree from navy. I also just don't very often encounter that many new cities in need of fishing boats that can't be popped in the capital at 1 boat/2 turns that late in the game.

The only real advantage I can see is that cities a tile or two from the coast can still easily get sea resources.

8. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Chieftain

Monty Burns' Dad:

"The Japanese? Those sandal-wearing goldfish tenders?"

9. apotheoser

apotheoser Chieftain

Compass. Right. :crazyeye:

How about we just make Fishing Boats really cheap for Japan?

10. whyidie

whyidie Chieftain

Apparently Samurai can't work offshore oil tiles. Not bad.

11. Barathor

Barathor Chieftain

Why would they anyway? :)

Samurai build fishing boats and Japan's bonus applies to resources which utilize fishing boats, along with atolls.

Oil is improved with offshore platforms when found in the water.

- - - - - -

I created a samurai mod if anybody is interested and they're not too keen on the building of fishing boats.

I just feel that, by the time you have samurai, the cost to build a fishing boat is very paltry anyway. Plus, given the boost they receive from Japan's unique ability, I think they're going to be a priority to improve early.

I really dig the later obsolete tech and upgrade to riflemen, though.

EDIT: Though, I can see it as somewhat useful if you're samurai are far from home and conquering cities AND the AI didn't improve its resources or you happened to pillage them. That, or if you're settling cities far from home, especially ones with lots of water or on islands with little production -- but you'd still have to travel the samurai there, which you could've just done with a workboat while keeping your samurai where you need them. :shrug:

12. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Chieftain

Its a bloody island.

13. whyidie

whyidie Chieftain

Now I see, work boats can make fishing boats or offshore platforms. Didn't realize there was a difference!

14. Callonia

Callonia Chieftain

Sushi is dangerous guys. Back in the heyday there was killer fishes swimming around so elite samurais was required to dispatch them for delicious sushi.

15. civ54lyfe

civ54lyfe Chieftain

i thought there was an ancient Japanese tradition of Samurai's handcrafting oil production platforms...

16. whyidie

whyidie Chieftain

:lol: I scoured wikipedia and came up with no connection!

17. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Another urban myth wiki-dies.

18. Xenocidius

Xenocidius Chieftain

It does seem quite silly and strange. I'd much rather see the ability removed from Samurai and, seeing as everyone seems to hate the Zero, scrap the Zero and replace it with the unique unit:

Shokunin

Unique worker unit of the Japanese civilization. Builds improvements 25% faster than the Worker, which it replaces. Can embark onto coast tiles immediately. Can build fishing boats. Will not work if captured.

This reflects the Japanese work ethic which persists to this day, which emphasises loyalty and extremely hard work. As well as nicely fulfilling the intended role of the new Samurai, it lets Japan build fishing boats and gain the culture bonus immediately, even before Optics, which is especially useful considering the culture bonus is only really useful early-game.

19. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

samurai building boats.. how silly
    how about panzers building breweries? (may be a wheat improvement)

20. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

There is a connection between fishing and fishing villages and Samurai, I don't see the connection between panzers and breweries, but since I must have missed school that day, please enlighten me :rolleyes: