where do new cities go?

zyxy

Warmongering Fool
From this point on we can expect to get a settler every 4 turns. So we will need to decide on city sites. Here is a pic of our lands in 2440BC:

Attachments

• MTDG2440BC territory.JPG
    MTDG2440BC territory.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 170
This is my idea, they are numbered in sequence of placement, 1 and 2 should be there to maximize the resources along the coast, the 3 and for to begin our expansion inland. 3 is placed to maximise shield production and can be our military or wonder city (i would leave the forests there, 7 bonus grassland and hill) and 4 is just to open up more land, but the placement isn't exact and can be moved around

I like Robi D's sites. I think nr 4 is the best, it is close to the capital and has three bg's, a good barracks town. After that, I would settle 5 (see figure below) and 3, they will also be productive military towns. Nr 1 is a decent shipyard, and it grabs another wine for trade, but it has no bonus food or production, so I think it can wait. Nr 2 (with culture expansion) and in particular nr 6 are real powerhouses, but they are far from the capital and should probably also wait. Nr 6 is a good FP site perhaps. There should of course some good sites along the rivers, but we can't really see that far yet.

(white dots in the figure indicate bonus grass.)

Attachments

• city placement.JPG
    city placement.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 155
2 cities in the northern mountains and hills to provide defence for our core cities

I'd say there's a fairly strong chance of there being Coal hidden in those swamps to the north. Possibly oil too.

I like zyxy's map, but with 2 moved NE one space and bumped to fourth on the priority list.

Let's update this to account for current conditions please. :)

I can't post any screenies until tonight at the earliest, but anyone is welcome to throw their 2 gold into the pile at any point. :D

I like Tomoyo's idea of moving nr 2 one tile NE, to put it at distance 3 of number 1. I would settle in the order 4-5-1-3-6-2, this should give us the most productive area first.

My order would be 4-1-resettle cruller-3-5-2. I would move 5 one sq. east.

My suggestion: 6-1-3-4-2-5, this strategy gives us an early mountain city, ideal for defense aganist TNT, then we get a coastal city, followed by a strong eastern wall of cities, followed by another coastal city, and then ending with an inner eastern wall city. Also, my opinion, is to make sure all cities have at least one unit garrisoned, be it a spear, warrior, sword, tank, whatever, CRULLER- NEVER AGAIN.

Looking once again at the current tactial situation, here is a new map with the close-in locations.

Attachments

• MTDG_Doughnut_BC2000_citymap.JPG
    MTDG_Doughnut_BC2000_citymap.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 136
Im happy with either 1 or 5 on daveshacks map for this settler

Likewise. SLightly happier with 5, it has better production and is easier on the road network.

I'm inclined to go with 5 due to the Persian warrior. We shouldn't let them dictate where we settle, but I shudder at the thought of a couple of bad RNG rolls costing us our one real shot to equalize and start using our expansion ability to its fullest. The barb isn't really a threat, comparatively speaking.

Personally i think location 4 should be settled next, as it keeps everything central making it easier to defend

Agree with 4. After that 3, then 2. Nr 2 should probably be moved 1 E or 1 SE. This gives good defense and highly productive towns first.

Top Bottom