Which Civ game was better, Civ IV or Civ III?

Which Do You Think Was Better?

• Civ III

Votes: 41 16.9%
  • Civ IV

Votes: 202 83.1%

• Total voters
a master civ4 player would destroy the best civ3 player in any contest of either game.
I would go as far as to state that the best civ3 player is probably equal to a mid level civ4 player- in mp and sp.
The reason of course is that a civ3 player is like a civil war general that refuses to switch over to repeating rifles. they are locked in the past- and as such become outdated in reasoning, perception and adaptability.
A civ4 player that has mastered civ3 moves on- and in the process retains that info while aquiring new tactics ect. To quote Attacko's "Guide to Civ IV MP Domination"
"if one cannot find new players to trounce- seek a civ3 player, they stumble and grumble and lock into "leagues" because - they well know- that they need a group or they are dead"

the differences between civ 3 and 4 are marginal but civ 4 is the stronger game

My poll for this was clear (Civ IV), but if somebody will make a poll against Civ II...

Wenla

III at the moment, mainly because IV just feels "small". The world seems to be a fraction of the size of the ones in III. I'm not enamoured with the cartoon graphics for the leaderheads too much either.

I would also like the option to remove all the religious aspects of Civ IV. I find them very distateful. The "catch all" of III covered all the bases you needed to cover without all the palaver you have to put up with in IV. Since they are all essentially alike it seems a pointless addition.

I've not played the expansions to IV yet so that may allay some of the things I dislike about it.

Still Waiting for SMAC II.

FLASH!!!
Holy crap No sooner had I post this the 1st guy who came along and read/posted below was like" What we can't have this!!! Civ4 down to an older game by 50%!!!! . Now I bet hes takin part in world debate right now! lololol

POint was civ3 is the overwhelming choice when you facter majority of true strategy players . Add teenie bit of arcadeness n' happy slappy 3d fun and the popularity contest is done. Lets face it there's a lot more the arcade crowd. Sid was no dummy he knew this to. They can steamroll over any core stategist crew

What you saw (I took a mspaint shot for future refrence before the link ;)at civ3 75 civ4 47) in the wOT forum is a tellin tale. SAys more then a civ4 romp in a civ4 forum that attacks those who complain about their game

IM I gettin in enough? IM back to work soon lol

First note : the objectivity of that poll is doubtful, since there's a "go there and vote for civ 3" thread plainly visible on the first page of the Civ 3 forums. This really destroys the claim of putting it in a neutral place. (It predates your results, I checked).

Second : I don't actually even care if other people like Civ 3 more than Civ 4. It's fine, let them play what they like. But do they have to always troll around in the Civ 4 forums?

Besides, claiming Civ 3 is the choice for true strategy gamers is just unjust. There are lots of smart and "serious" strategy gamers on both sides.

I played CivII. I then played Call to Power, Test of Time, and SMAC. I skipped CivIII because of being too busy to play games. I stumbled on a demo of CivIV and all the addiction and nostalgia came back to me. I played CivIV and loved it but because of a similar thread I felt something is missing in my Civ experience. I borrowed CivIII from a friend, played it and liked it. I even kept it and gave him EU3 in exchange!! (I have another copy of EU3 - I am so addicted to strategy games that my friends buy me new ones for my birthday).

Anyway, I play both. I enjoy both. I only hope that a next version can merge the good things in both games and improve over them.

First note : the objectivity of that poll is doubtful, since there's a "go there and vote for civ 3" thread plainly visible on the first page of the Civ 3 forums. This really destroys the claim of putting it in a neutral place. (It predates your results, I checked).

Second : I don't actually even care if other people like Civ 3 more than Civ 4. It's fine, let them play what they like. But do they have to always troll around in the Civ 4 forums?

Besides, claiming Civ 3 is the choice for true strategy gamers is just unjust. There are lots of smart and "serious" strategy gamers on both sides.

Holy crap your right. A thread just to portal into another thread. kinda bad bid of buisness but ohwell. I might not have posted knowing that being now its not half as tellin I suppose
So I guess opening the portal twice to same place from here (I made jab yesterday :mischief:) actually worked the nutralizer in a way. Hmm so on the other hand my point stays ;)

a master civ4 player would destroy the best civ3 player in any contest of either game.
I would go as far as to state that the best civ3 player is probably equal to a mid level civ4 player- in mp and sp.
The reason of course is that a civ3 player is like a civil war general that refuses to switch over to repeating rifles. they are locked in the past- and as such become outdated in reasoning, perception and adaptability.
A civ4 player that has mastered civ3 moves on- and in the process retains that info while aquiring new tactics ect. To quote Attacko's "Guide to Civ IV MP Domination"
"if one cannot find new players to trounce- seek a civ3 player, they stumble and grumble and lock into "leagues" because - they well know- that they need a group or they are dead"

THis is some bogus sheete. I bet you came back to the army patch you'd be finished.
NO more sneaking up a civs capital door unattacked with a stack of artys like before.
THe new army is less troops then before (1) but with a stonger life bar bonus of +4 and when (IF!) he wins some exp (Vet-Elite), here he become formable as he should yet not like RAmbo would

Try that same trick and you just gave away a 100 art-tay!
THe AI uses these so every you advatage is done.

Dude This is only one example were refined game makes more challenge and why civ3 players stick to the best historical sim period

I argue civ4 players were cheasy as hell relyin on every cheat to win till they were so ashamed they jumped in to a world of 3d bannana handcuffing fun

end it

Am I the only one who has no idea what T.A. is saying? Something about a arty and bananas and Rambo?

Anyway, I think you're arguing that Civ IV players rely on cheats. This is incredibly untrue. The only "cheat" in the game is Worldbuilder, and most good players don't use it. If they do, they don't use it to delete enemies, or anything like that. They use it to make the game more interesting and fun.

And I agree the best Civ IV player could trounce the best Civ III player. Civ IV is much harder than Civ III, especially on the higher difficulty levels.

End it.

Aye, they may use it for that, but we have a leg up in that we don't use ANYTHING AT ALL! Even if we start in extremely crappy spots, most of us may play. Or reload. But that's for if you end up in a very crowded game where everyone except for one civs on a small continent while the other one is laughing it up. Or a one tile floodplain wheat and the other tile volcanoe island.

I argue civ4 players were cheasy as hell relyin on every cheat to win till they were so ashamed they jumped in to a world of 3d bannana handcuffing fun

end it

I don't cheat. If I win it's because I was the best.
You should try and answer some of my claims above regarding Civ3 vs Civ4. At least I put out balanced perspective.
I've played both games enough to know.

I don't cheat. If I win it's because I was the best.
I thought it was cuz you used expliots that some other person found on the net. Like how to use a few army units to take over the world. A glitch made armys not get targeted by AI This meant riding a stack of troops along the same tile to sneak in all the while untouched meaning, your full deck of arty's are there to destroy their capital defences. Makes a mop up of the world not any 'real' fun. (but ream an repeat makes one great score and for some internet egos, WHo wants more? Its where the braggin begins, what drove them to find and practice more, THe Top score
Civ3 score: a number that means nothing to a real Civ3 player who knows how skewed its result is derived and more, realize its more fun to have real victory goals. Untampered realty simulation where more challenge is acheived through brandishing an editer thats a breeze is whats behind true competive civving. THis is what civ3 unoffical patched sets out to acheive )

Patchin anything unoffical was banned if you had a plan of being the next HOF Civfanatic icon. Then, after that fame grabs your 'name' a spot testing the new civ4 they thin back what they endured on rise to cheeze King Whats the 1st thing they do? handcuff us all so repeat of their success ain't as easy as learning 'Ream 1' 'Ream 2'.. lol

but...flash to 2006 A keen modder found when you peeled away the "transported units" and instead tack on the "transport" a larger health bar, (I lost @art of baked here ;) ) this was fixed. NO longer did the AI avoid the army. NO longer did you get to avoid an effective AI army.

SO I say yes you were better, a better arse reamer who resorted to more broken cheasy expliots to win. No wonder you hate civ3's sandbox approach. Guys like you used it for a litter box when ever you could. Mybe make HOF hero for the day will the rest laugh how you blow you realism away. (Ya civ3 players here like that to stay) In fact Today modders take your cheapness away leaving you weak and feable.

What can I say? THis means no more night of chaos on the enemys capital by bypasssin his 300 units with 3 armies and few artys ?

You should try and answer some of my claims above regarding Civ3 vs Civ4. At least I put out balanced perspective.
I've played both games enough to know.
Im on a strange work schedule Sorry seem to run out of time need to get going to Lavac 11 hours away (don't wanna get many dark hours of sriving in. What, with em deer antlers do to yer paint n all! )

How bout you just google "T.A JONES" "Civ3" "corruption patch" and get a taste of the total rebuttle you'll face or atleast what my response will be if you See me here in a 2 or 3 weeks (less if bed n breakfast has broadband)

Least you'll discover if you really wanna go there (on the civ3 attack) - Actually I suggest you do, go back to civ3 "Part Deux" that is :goodjob: Then you'll see you where all wrong, but 'unofficialy' like Bhuric

Because there are people on each side that think their version is "the best" as if it were fact and not opinion. They make solid points on the matter... sometimes anyways, and feel justified.

I just hope we get naval warfare ala Civ 3 back in 5 or at least a variant - that the AI knows how to use. AND SEAS!!! Don't forget them. There is alot I would like to see in 5 though. Like finally moving to a hex grid, etc.

Am I the only one who has no idea what T.A. is saying? Something about a arty and bananas and Rambo?

Sorry about your dreams of being an individual, but I don't understand either. Anyway, CIV is better IMO. Better graphics, less micromanagement (which I suck at), more units, more flexible tech-tree, more terrain improvement choices, more eras, need I say more? However, Firaxas, look real close to the screen and use your eyes...

BRING BACK OUTFITS BASED ON ERA! DO WE SEE IRANIANS TODAY DRESSING UP LIKE GILGAMESH? HAMMURABI? AND WE NEED THE ADVISORS BACK! THEY WERE AWESOME AND WE MISS THEM! AND BRING THE HITTITES BACK AND MAKE HIAWATHA A NATIVE AMERICAN LEADER!

Those are my only complaints though.

I would not compare the titles to each other, they are all different with the same idea. Civ 4 is currently my favourite and part of the fun is learning, though I did have to get a new computer (like last time :D)

CIV3 was a moronic 2 dimesional boring pile of rancid rat testicles.

CIV4 is the greatest game EVER!!!!11!!

I cant vote since i like both of them and i will probably by the box set of all them soon!Civ series FTW!:goodjob:

Joshua

Top Bottom